Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a weird game last night against Hastur, will try to reconstruct from memory but likely off on a couple details. Anyway, played solo with two investigators (wanted to get a feel for the new expansion, so used Dexter and Jenny). Opening mystery was The Yellow Sign (lose 2 Sanity + take Madness to add token, 4 tokens to solve).

Since both started in or near a city, and both were one move from the next token city, I solved the mystery after the end of turn 2. Both rumors came out in the first two draws, one the very nasty one that ends the game after 4 tokens removed, the second the one that doesn't allow you to close gates. I was able to heal Jenny a bit via rest actions, same for Dexter.

Second mystery was the one where you need two clues and an ally per investigator. Seemed easy enough, since each already had one clue, Dexter had his starting ally, and there was an ally in the reserve for Jenny's ridiculous acquire asset ability to nab. Then things appeared to go to hell: the first reckoning + event pounded both down to one sanity. But Dexter's encounter had managed him a For the Greater Good (via a normal asset draw that replaced itself), so I figured I'd send him toward San Fran (closest clue) and if things went bad, that task was the backup plan for something good to come from his likely death.

Things went bad. Next reckoning, both died (sanity). I draw replacements from a bag, and fished out, I kid you not: Wendy and McGlen. Destiny or something. McGlen hangs in London to get a clue, Wendy heads toward Dexter's dead body in Tokyo. Yet another reckoning, so at this point we're pretty doomed (rumor ticking fast).

Turn five, McGlen heads to Pyramids for the expedition (to deal with the rumor, though it's guarded by that croc-thing from Under the Pyramids that is very tough, tommy gun or no). Wendy avoids the monster on Tokyo and gets all Dexter's stuff, so now has two clues. McGlen does poorly, sanity death looks like an issue. Mythos draw is another yellow, so we're now down to one token on the rumor.

I'm not optimistic about McGlen's chances vs the croc + rumor at this point, and it's 50/50 on another yellow. I figure dragging it out is worse than just losing and setting up for another play. So Wendy dies For The Greater Good. I flip it and...solve the mystery. I don't know what the other possible results are, I think they're all pretty good, but wow.

So, a win on turn five vs Hastur. Clearly, Carcosa and Hastur are the easiest by far, with this trivial "solve two mysteries" to win nonsense....

goo goo goo

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renjie Zhou
Belgium
Baal (Tremelo)
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, i find Hastur easy aswell. But is that a bad thing? Good G.O. to take out when you are playing with new people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can beat you there...

So this is how it happened, 4 investigators:

Mystery 1 - have encounters at 8 city locations. Pass when you've done it. Note, you don't have to successfully do them, just having an encounter is enough. That took two turns.

Mythos 1: Rumour, a boss monster Spinner of Webs.

Round 2. As part of finishing off mystery 1, I obtained the horrible 'Promise of Power' card.

Mythos 2: another Rumour, The White Ship.

Mystery 1 solved.

Mystery 2: Add eight clues from encounters to this card.

Mythos 3, a reckoning. Promise of Power says, roll a 6 and you can flip it. I did. The result "Solve the active mystery".

So there you are. Three turns. Promise of Power now removed from the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
You guys are killing me. We've only played one game against Hastur, but it went rather poorly. 4 investigators (which is going to be harder than 2 investigators, right?) The first mythos card we drew was the one where each investigator twice had to impair their highest skill. We also weren't playing with Wendy, who is optimized for Hastur. Anyway, the game didn't end well...

EDIT: I now remember that for mysteries we had the one with the Spawn of Hastur epic monster, and the second one was Cities on the Lake which was a bummer because we had kept our gates in check and only had two open at the time. Neither mystery was a cake-walk. We ended up waking Hastur and lost the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mb
I had a pretty rough time, I had the mystery that required all investigators to have an ally and a clue, and the turn I managed it I had the mythos card that killed an ally per investigator, so I had to start over again on turn 6 or 7.

Second mystery was to expend 2 sanity and gain a madness in 8 locations. When I had already managed to do it in 7, the mythos card gave a -3 sanity to all investigators. They were already with just 2 (from achieving the locations objectives) so I killed all four investigators, and woke Hastur.

This game tells an amazing story but it is completely luck dependent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Easiest game ever
i think the problem with hastur is that some mysteries are way too easy, so im planning just removing them, since it's only 2 mysteries, if one or both of them are easy, then there's no point..50% or 100% of the mysteries are easy : P

or we could make it 3 mysteries...or just adjustments to the mysteries to be harder so they worth 1,5 mystery each..

the key and portal mystery is fine,except it should need more gates on the mystery to be complete, 1 for 4 players seems way too easy..finding the way

the bane one is really interesting and fun. i'd keep it,but maybe if it NEEDED to solve your bane,then i'd be REALLY brutal!! Ravages of Blight

the epic monster one is awesome, it takes way long to kill it,but maybe it should hit a bit harder Spawn of Hastur

the clues one is vanilla, the clues on cities are pretty bad, so its fine ,he who is not to be named

the closing gates one seems great at first,like wow really interesting and hard mystery, BUT the current omen bit ruins it, close 2 gates to solve the mystery? and we need 2 mysteries?with 4 players? wtf, way too easy..( Beneath the Alien sky ,yes you could argue there isnt a gate matching the omen all the time. BUT you can just wait,it makes you finish it in half effort anyway..

cities on the lake needs 4 gates and 8 clues? thats a mystery

now these, i find REALLY lacking

King in yellow encounters are just, nothing too serious as far iv seen..i remember having a hard time with Rleyh, i think this one is much easier

and the yellow sign is just...auto completed, yes sanity can be vital in hastur, but you're just careful and its so easy to solve...wtf. maybe add it at the start of hastur mysteries, but it wont count for mysteries needed to win, then it seems great ^_^ (flavor win, seeing the yellow sign, losing sanity, making you softer for hastur)

i really like the bane and his ability

impairements suck too, which is awesome

another thing to note is that the new investigators included in the expansion seem too strong, +4 to acquire assets without debt? from any space? wtff. no bad conditions? free trinkets? free spells?

so that adds to it aswell.

he's definately easier than yig, maybe even easier than syzygy too.

tl;dr it's a real nice expansion, but the 2 mysteries mechanic and the mysteries dont work that well on the hard scale together, harder mysteries or more mysteries to win would be sweet for me ,maybe they didnt plan to make it hard, or they didnt tune it enough..
also strong investigators! if you want a harder game dont use them, but they are fun to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstringer wrote:
tl;dr it's a real nice expansion, but the 2 mysteries mechanic and the mysteries dont work that well on the hard scale together, harder mysteries or more mysteries to win would be sweet for me ,maybe they didnt plan to make it hard, or they didnt tune it enough..
also strong investigators! if you want a harder game dont use them, but they are fun to play

I think you make some compelling points.

My intention in posting this session report wasn't really to argue that Hastur is too easy (though I do think the Yellow Sign is likely to be trivial too often). Mostly I just thought a T5 win was amusing, considering how most reports I'd seen so far indicated Hastur was difficult. And then I see that T5 is nothing! Try T3, so there! laugh

A more general point would be that any effects which either solve or advance mysteries will be extremely powerful vs Hastur. As abendoso noted, there's a lot of luck here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
My intention in posting this session report wasn't really to argue that Hastur is too easy (though I do think the Yellow Sign is likely to be trivial too often). Mostly I just thought a T5 win was amusing, considering how most reports I'd seen so far indicated Hastur was difficult.

OK, now I'm beginning to wonder.... Played another 2p game, this time Harvey Walters and Lily Chen. No huge lucky breaks, and won on T4. Again, main culprit was The Yellow Sign, where I went straight for it and planned on suiciding both.

Second mystery was The King in Yellow. Harvey rested and focused (well, and one action to travel to London), and succeeded in two encounters in a row. Game over.

Again, no big lucky breaks, other than the mystery draw (both order of the draw, and those specific cards). Yes, I succeeded in KiY encounters, but I spent two focuses to do it. Harvey failed an encounter test in Arkham and got beat up a bit, and of course the Madness effects knocked both of them around, but rest+focus kept them hanging on.

Just felt way too easy. I'll avoid The Yellow Sign in next few plays, but I don't like tossing cards entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.