Subject: Wailing Writher depicted on the side of the box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this beastie is on one of the sides of the box...
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...

However, it doesn't feature in the 2nd Edition core set, and doesn't have a token in the Conversion Kit. So that means it hasn't (yet!) made an appearance in MoM...?

Just thought it was a potentially revealing choice for the box anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I'm almost done painting my 2nd ed. monsters ready for another expansion!
(He says. as he stares at his entire collection of 1st & 2nd ed. unpainted investigators)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It never appeared in the 1st edition game. I believe it is reused art from Arkham/Eldritch Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
(He says. as he stares at his entire collection of 1st & 2nd ed. unpainted investigators)

Ha! I'm waaaay behind you. Only primed some monsters so far. Not to mention umpteen other games with minis I've yet to make a start on! Some games I just don't want to play with plain grey plastic though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:

Ha! I'm waaaay behind you. Only primed some monsters so far. Not to mention umpteen other games with minis I've yet to make a start on! Some games I just don't want to play with plain grey plastic though.

I never seem to quite finish a set of any game either. I've been playing Space Hulk Death Angel TCG and using my 1989 Space Hulk Mini's with it. Last night I was thinking, 'when I get done with MoM, I need to finish these Genestealers!' I only got about half of them completely in paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
I never seem to quite finish a set of any game either. I've been playing Space Hulk Death Angel TCG and using my 1989 Space Hulk Mini's with it. Last night I was thinking, 'when I get done with MoM, I need to finish these Genestealers!' I only got about half of them completely in paint.

You did well getting that far. My various editions of Space Hulk are still naked, and I lost the only stealers I painted (from 1st Ed, possibly). At least the coloured plastic helps there.

I didn't even finish the first mini I started from Silver Tower before MoM2e came out of nowhere & distracted me. And both games will definitely benefit from a paint job. Although the monster tiles in MoM are nice enough to stand in until I get some finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What is that mini from???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
“We carry our fate in plain sight; but few have the eyes to read what is written there.” - Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #37
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiddleydwarf wrote:
What is that mini from???

Yes, please - I'm not certain from the original post where the mini came from?

Wherever its place of origin, it clearly keeps excellent dental hygiene. Most monsters don't, you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wailing writher is one of the avatars of Nyarlathotep. Not sure which game or release it first appeared. Very likely Arkham Horror.

The painted mini itself is from FFG.

I purchased it and used it in my own Call of Cthulhu RPG as the "Thing in the Attic". It was great for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mini would be perfect for the Chakota that is found in the New York chapter of the "Masks of Nyarlathotep" Call of Cthulhu rpg campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I found that pic when I was trawling FFG's "Arkham Horror Premium Figures" product pages for inspiration/painting reference for some of the figures in MoM2e.

I spotted that purple thing, and thought it looked very cool at the time... much later on I happened to catch sight of it on the side of the game box, and realised I hadn't seen it among the monster tokens.

Unfortunately, I've no idea what game(s) it's from, or indeed whether it has even appeared before in an FFG title. Several of the premium figures (including this one) specifically make mention of "Masks of Nyarlathotep" if that is any clue to it's origins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.