The Hotness
Games|People|Company
The Hotness has gone cold...
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
To go along with the current thread (How many games do you own that you have not played yet?).

Poll
What percentage of your games that you own have you not played yet?
0% - I play all my games.
1-10%
11-30%
31-50%
51-70%
71-90%
91-99%
100% - I never play any of my games.
      256 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Poll
How many of your games that you own have you not played yet?
0 - I play all my games.
1-3
4-10
11-20
21-40
41-100
101-300
301-1000
1001+
      241 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Poll
How do you feel about not playing games you own? (you can pick more than one answer)
I'm completely fine with it, I'll probably play them soon.
I'm completely fine with it, it's my money, my decision.
I feel a little guilty about it, I hope to play them soon.
I feel a little guilty about it, it may take me a long time to get to them.
I feel very guilty about it.
I'm beyond guilt and into shame.
Games should be played, anything else is a waste.
Part of why I buy games is just to own them, collect them.
      230 answers
Poll created by skutsch

Poll
Have you ever given away, sold, dumped a game that you'd never actually gotten around to playing (and that had been in your possession for at least a month)?
Yes
No
      242 answers
Poll created by skutsch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I own but haven't played fall into one of a few categories:
1) I got this in the last week and will play it this weekend (none of these at the moment).
2) I will never play this and need to get around to getting rid of it.
3) I will never play this, but have pillaged it for the miniatures to use in other games.
4) Its Hollywood Lives, which I'd love to play but given that it takes a whole day and at least a dozen people I'll probably never manage to.

(That last category is a bit specific. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
I don't even buy games I haven't played yet. So Zero point zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Wow, Chapel, you have a will of iron! Part of me envies you, and part of me pities you.

I know I had a long period of basically unrestrained buying just for the sake of buying, and even though I've honestly toned it down a lot in last couple of years, it's worse than I thought:

Strictly going by my records on bgg, which are not completely perfect because I only started recording games played in late 2003 (probably when the feature was introduced on bgg?):

Excluding expansions:
Games owned: 1268
Games owned and not recorded as played: 799 (63% unplayed)

I'm not ashamed by any means, but I have reached the point where I'd love to convert many of those unplayed games back to cash if it were easy to do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy the bulk of my games via Kickstarter and conventions. When I got conventions though, I basically bulk buy so I'll get 30-35 games (Origins Flea Market is awesome!). As a result it take time to get through everything.

That said, my group also plays DnD a lot so the games often take a backseat to whatever campaign happens to be going on.

At the end of the day, what all this means is, my games will often take months to get around to playing but they always get played eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Wow, Chapel, you have a will of iron! Part of me envies you, and part of me pities you.

I know I had a long period of basically unrestrained buying just for the sake of buying, and even though I've honestly toned it down a lot in last couple of years, it's worse than I thought:

Strictly going by my records on bgg, which are not completely perfect because I only started recording games played in late 2003 (probably when the feature was introduced on bgg?):

Excluding expansions:
Games owned: 1268
Games owned and not recorded as played: 799 (63% unplayed)

I'm not ashamed by any means, but I have reached the point where I'd love to convert many of those unplayed games back to cash if it were easy to do...

Depending on what you've got for sale, I may be in the market!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Four-and-a-half decades of gaming. I've played everything I've ever owned, but sell/trade/give away the junk. Collection was > 1,000 at one point down to the 80+ gems I really enjoy today. I'll play whatever hits the table but have no need to have a large collection anymore. Then again, I understand the collector mindset even if unplayed, as I am a bit of a book collector (keep them after I read them, and "them" is a lot) ... game just don't fall into that category for me anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have exactly 1 game that I have not played. Spyrium, which a member of our game group has requested I bring this Sunday. So, I plan to remedy that.

I also have had 1 game that I bought, never played and traded away. Myth. I actually had it up to the Kickstarter for the expansion. Traded it for Agricola, Puerto Rico, 7 Wonders (w/ Leaders), Elder Sign and (funnily enough), Spyrium. Don't regret it in the slightest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
tempus42 wrote:

I'm not ashamed with you either. Without you impulse buyers, I wouldn't have bought so many great games from them at a nice discount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
tempus42 wrote:

I'm not ashamed with you either. Without you impulse buyers, I wouldn't have bought so many great games from them at a nice discount.

Touche!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I track the games I haven't played here on the geek with my want to play list.

Currently sits at 214 titles.

I wish I had time to play more, and get that number down.

My biggest issue is that 1 to 1.5 hour games get done...and the 3 hours games get put aside. But, I like the 3 hour plus games....

meeplemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to assume that the one person who voted "I never play any of my games" was joking. Or should I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I get a new game, I usually play it within a week or so of receiving it. Currently there are no unplayed ones, although there might be a new game in the post tomorrow (Kickstarter delivery of Islebound).

I do have three unplayed expansions, which usually happens if I don't play the base game much or always with new people.

I will soon move abroad for half a year and have about six Kickstarter deliveries scheduled during that time (to my long-term home, not abroad), so I will definitely build up some unplayed games then.

Edit: I do unfortunately own a number of games that have been played only five times or less. My personal aim is to play every game in my collection more than five times, ideally at least ten times. This is becoming more difficult as my collection grows, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 7 games in my collection that I haven't played, but it's mostly due to a great trade I made a couple months ago. I got 8 games (Castles of Burgundy, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Roll for the Galaxy, Suburbia, Splendor, Heroes Wanted, Agricola, and Orleans) in exchange for my Black Plague Kickstarter and I've only gotten to play 2 of them. The other game is Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective and I'm saving that for a business trip I have coming up this Fall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa the Gnome
United States
West Allis
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I have more games than energy/time due mostly to the fact that I have two young sons. I play a fair amount of games with them (so I think the only unplayed kids games are the ones I just bought), but have many unplayed games that they are too young to play. My husband and I love playing games, but so often we're just exhausted after putting the kids to bed. We're slowly working on our unplayed games and they only make up 10% of what we own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I am 're-collecting' most of the older games I buy I have played many many times. The games in my new collection include: New wargame titles on subjects that interest me deeply and will get to them the soonest in spite of a busy schedule. The euro genre which I have just recently gotten interested in and now actively looking for game groups to play them with. Horror games in the vein of Cthulu mythos which since I am a big fan of Lovecraft and published several poems in the genre I play with older game friends with whom I ran a Call of Cthulu RPG a long time ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several games that I bought after playing, but they didn't get back to the table for a variety of reasons. Currently, about 10% of my copies have not been played. I feel guilty about this because I feel they deserve to be played and that I'm not doing enough to get them out of their boxes, instead bringing ones that I'm certain others will want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of games I've acquired in since I've been playing lots of games two mini expansions for Star Realms are the only thing that is unplayed. I think most games I've got have been played within a week, many on the same day. I had Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium for a couple of months before I played it as we wanted to play other expansions more first. I have a few games that I can't remember where I got them from that I don't think I have played (Halma is the only one I can remember).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a To-Be-Played pile right near my To-Be-Read pile. I would get concerned if I didn't have a reasonable choice of either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say I feel "guilty" about them, but it bothers me that I can't get them to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.