$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my more casual groups, they either don't get played (due to sheer time limit) or would work out much better if we post onto the site that's coordinating the event if available (e.g. Facebook, Meetup, an email chain, or list serve).

For more "average gaming groups" that go from 4 to 7 hours and we do a mix from filler, all the way to 4 hour games, with "epic", 5+ hour games (e.g. Adv. Civ, Titan) on rare occasions, the 2 to 4 hour games don't usually need advance planning. The epic 5+ hour ones... certainly do.

At conventions where 5+ hour games definitely get played, even if they're not in the majority, even less planning there, but I've seen sign up sheets and schedules to still facilitate that, and gauge interest.

Poll: How long does a game have to be before you need to plan ahead for playing?
Poll first appeared here....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1620000/how-long-or-com...
--"Planning" means announcing ahead of time, before the game meet up, or at the start of a near all day con about the game, as opposed to deciding right then and there, on the spot to play the game.
--I don't have any quantifiable metrics for "complexity", so I'll just stick with game play length
--There are diversity of groups, so try to pick one that best suits your overall gaming environments. I'd rather not break things down that much.
See poll title
1 hour
1.5 hours
2 hours
2.5 hours
3 hours
3.5 hours
4 hours
4.5 hours
5 hours
5.5 hours
6 hours
6.5 hours
7 hours
7.5 hours
8 hours
8+ hours
      70 answers
Poll created by ackmondual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Your question is so long and complex that I need time to take your poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday Night game night goes from 6:30 til after midnight. So I went with 6.5+ hours or more to plan a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Kennedy
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Past 2 hours, I try to send tutorial links to players who I anticipate on being there who plan to play. For any game with ongoing consequences (campaigns), I try to make some plan for coordination and to gauge commitment before beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not about game length, it's about set-up time, and about how familiar we are with the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a game is 5 hours long or more, we need to plan ahead to find a time period long enough to play it.

On the other hand, a shorter game might need advance planning because people need to read the rules ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything over two hours will generally need pre-agreement with my group. But given we usually plan to meet up for the games anyway, it's not much of an issue.

It's rare that anything over 2 house will be played spontaneously though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.