Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Clash of Giants II» Forums » Rules

Subject: Just curious: the Belgian line rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity: why can't the Belgians attack the Germans when East of the Belgian line?

Is it a historical thing, or just a game mechanism?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ronnietucker wrote:
Just out of curiosity: why can't the Belgians attack the Germans when East of the Belgian line?

Is it a historical thing, or just a game mechanism?


It is a historical thing. The Belgians were in full retreat to the Belgian line, so they were moving west as fast as they could.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that the rule that keeps the Belgians from attacking east of the line, or moving anywhere outside of Zone D, for the entire game and it basically cripples the Allies.

What we've found happens in practice is that the Germans take Bruges, then redeploy their forces towards Ypres, leaving some chump infantry in Bruges that the Belgians can never attack. The Germans don't bother with Nieuport or Dunkirk (Nieuport is too well protected anyway once it's flooded), leaving 6 Belgian infantry and 1 Belgian cavalry twiddling their thumbs.

With their infantry shifted down, the Germans basically have a 2-1 advantage, with 3 offensive markers to boot. I don't see the allies ever winning this scenario short of some truly horrific die rolling.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
djberg96 wrote:
The problem is that the rule that keeps the Belgians from attacking east of the line, or moving anywhere outside of Zone D, for the entire game and it basically cripples the Allies.

What we've found happens in practice is that the Germans take Bruges, then redeploy their forces towards Ypres, leaving some chump infantry in Bruges that the Belgians can never attack. The Germans don't bother with Nieuport or Dunkirk (Nieuport is too well protected anyway once it's flooded), leaving 6 Belgian infantry and 1 Belgian cavalry twiddling their thumbs.

That's exactly what I was saying in my videos. While the rest of the Allies are getting humped the Belgians are sitting up there having tea and biscuits.

djberg96 wrote:
With their infantry shifted down, the Germans basically have a 2-1 advantage, with 3 offensive markers to boot. I don't see the allies ever winning this scenario short of some truly horrific die rolling.

My die rolling IS truly horrific and I still managed to lose.

And that was me playing both sides! blush laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the VP conditions need to be reworked (for Galicia as well) for the game to work properly with the restrictions that the designer has put into place.

I think I would change First Ypres by setting different VP values for different cities. Should Bruges be worth the same as Dunkirk? I don't think so.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
djberg96 wrote:
I think the VP conditions need to be reworked (for Galicia as well) for the game to work properly with the restrictions that the designer has put into place.

I think I would change First Ypres by setting different VP values for different cities. Should Bruges be worth the same as Dunkirk? I don't think so.


Absolutely agree. Germany rarely sees any city near the Allies side.

Also, cavalry. Useless. They're just cannon fodder. They can't fight infantry so when enemy cavalry is gone they're out of a job.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ronnietucker wrote:
Also, cavalry. Useless. They're just cannon fodder. They can't fight infantry so when enemy cavalry is gone they're out of a job.

Eh, they're still good for supply cutting and retreat blocking. And since both sides get 1 replacement each turn, I'd be surprised to see them completely gone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Capitola
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ronnietucker wrote:
Also, cavalry. Useless. They're just cannon fodder. They can't fight infantry so when enemy cavalry is gone they're out of a job.



Cavalry can stop the advance of enemy infantry units without getting annihilated. (See rule 7.0 and 14.3)

When an infantry unit enters the ZOC of a cavalry unit, it must stop. Unlike infantry units, however, there is no risk that the cavalry unit will be eliminated in the process. If the enemy infantry unit entering this ZOC attacks the cavalry unit, the cavalry unit can simply move away to avoid combat. This leaves advancing enemy infantry with the option of either moving only two hexes into the next cavalry ZOC or using extra movement points trying the move around the ZOC. This buys time to move friendly infantry units to meet the advancing enemy. On top of that, the enemy infantry never gets the satisfaction of eliminating the offending unit that slowed it down. Setting up your cavalry with one vacant hex between them can form a fairly effective wall.

Ideally, infantry should not be spread out everywhere trying to guard every possible avenue of attack. They should be massing for attack against other infantry units in strategic places.

Thanks to cavalry units, infantry units don't need to spread out guarding flanks, and with a cavalry unit's faster movement rate and ability to retreat before combat, in some ways, the cavalry unit is better suited to the task.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.