20 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Code Puzzles: what a BRILLIANT idea! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Exupery Ether
msg tools
mb
Whoever thought the code puzzles (especially those involving numbers) was a smashing idea needs a salary raise from Christian T. Petersen.

In fact not only a salary raise but also a vacation in some sunny places. Let's say a 10 years vacation. For the start.

Seriously FFF, what the hell???

Not everyone is into mind-mending puzzles, some people are hating them. Me, for example. I don't remember any puzzles in any of the stories by Lovecraft.

I wonder what Lovecraft himself would have thought about these puzzles.

In the last 6 days I have played all 4 scenarios. I have succeeded finishing only the first one. I had to close the app while playing the other 3 because of them stupid puzzles, which proved to be a MAJOR game breaker for me.

At least give us the chance to skip them in some way, don't force me to wreck my brain and then take pills to calm down my anxiety / nerves. I am supposed to have fun, you know. I've paid you 100 Euro for that chance. And instead you laugh in my face with your nonsense and non-thematic puzzles.

Thanks a bunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
More puzzles please.

In fact, rip off every single Professor Layton puzzle ever.

Thanks! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love puzzles and love seeing them in this game, but I understand they aren't everyone's favorite.

There are a plethora of online tools that can solve these for you. Here's one I found that seems to do a good job: http://www.dcode.fr/mastermind-solver

Also, the app doesn't enforce the number of actions you get. Give yourself a few extra guesses per attempt at these puzzles. Or, just keep guessing until you get it with one action. No one will come and take your co-op game away from you for bending the rules, especially if it brings you more fun overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmb
Did you research the game at all before hand?

The videogame like mini-puzzles are one of the major selling points of Mansions of Madness.

Also, the 1E puzzles were pretty easy unless you got a bad luck draw and the 2E puzzles seem just as easy. two types of slide puzzles and mastermind? Which puzzle are you having a problem with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
More puzzles please.

In fact, rip off every single Professor Layton puzzle ever.

Thanks! goo

Cannot tell if you are sarcastic but I would love this (though coming up with new ones would be even better!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
Did you research the game at all before hand?

The videogame like mini-puzzles are one of the major selling points of Mansions of Madness.

Also, the 1E puzzles were pretty easy unless you got a bad luck draw and the 2E puzzles seem just as easy. two types of slide puzzles and mastermind? Which puzzle are you having a problem with?

In 1st Ed. you could simply skip them if the Keeper allowed it or house rule the somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmb
fizolof wrote:

In 1st Ed. you could simply skip them if the Keeper allowed it or house rule the somehow.

Why would anyone do that? They are literally the main thing that sets MoM apart from other dungeoncrawls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I wasn't too sold on the mastermind-puzzle idea but I have to admit it really heightened the tension considerably when we played our second game yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exupery Ether
msg tools
mb
Browsing these forums it seems I am not the only one profundly upset with the code puzzles in this game. I am speaking about the numbers puzzle, as I've said in the first post. The sliding puzzles are a breeze, I can handle those.

Splendid to see there are so many who are loving the hell out of the puzzles. I am suddenly feeling way better.

Am I an idiot for not enjoying them? Probably yes.

I don't even find them thematic in the least, just a nuisance.

Have I researched the game before I've bought it? Heh.

Yes, that's the issue, in the 1st edition you could skip the puzzles, continue playing the game and be merry. Because why not? I want to have fun, I want to relax, I want to enjoy the story Mansions of Madness is telling, I don't want to wreck my brains. If I've wanted that I could always play an Euro game. Only that I don't because I cant stand Euro games. Oh.

All's well, mind you.

The game is almost perfect. I am loving it. Hate the puzzles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
I'm with the OP on this (though it wasn't clear I was until I finished your post...)

I HATE the puzzle aspect. Absolutely nothing to do with the game, nothing to do with the mythos, nothing to do with my characters strengths and weaknesses - all of a sudden I (me, breaking that "fourth wall" of my game) has to pretend I'm playing a rubiks cube? mastermind? What???

In 1st ed, my character, an old professor guy, came across this puzzle and the game master slid these weird shapes at me and told me to slide them so-and-so until they become such-and-such. I stared at them, then at him, and did nothing for the remainder of the game (not quite, but my character was essentially useless as my dyslexia-of-sorts took over - I just couldn't do it).

No more MoM for me.

Honestly, WTF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
nothing to do with my characters strengths and weaknesses - all of a sudden I (me, breaking that "fourth wall" of my game)

This is not entirely true as the number of puzzle actions you can take during an action is directly related to the skills of your character. Also I'm not sure how this is breaking the fourth wall. Aren't you already making choices for your character based on your own intellect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one thrown by the fact that there are two different avatars with tea kettles, featured prominently, in the same thread?

Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

On topic, I like the puzzles. A skip option seems perfectly acceptable for those who want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

kelann08 wrote:
Am I the only one thrown by the fact that there are two different avatars with tea kettles, featured prominently, in the same thread?

Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, but mine's in space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
fizolof wrote:

Why would anyone do that? They are literally the main thing that sets MoM apart from other dungeoncrawls.

Probably to enhance their enjoyment of the game. I suppose they like exploring haunted mansions, killing fearsome monsters and thereby saving humanity. They just don't like solving puzzles. In a regular boardgame they could just houserule their way around them and still enjoy the other aspects of the game. With the app, they can't.

I believe the puzzles should be optional and allow a skill check instead if desired. Then you have the best of both worlds. The puzzles are there for those that want them but they can be skipped by those that don't.

I don't mind the puzzles I suppose but given the option, I would probably skip them depending on what the rest of the group wanted. I think if I were in the mood for puzzles, I would just do puzzles and skip the boardgame. /shrug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
..."Hey, a squirrel...!" (Lol)... what was that? I agree...the number puzzles are a bit weird but I do like the sliding the pieces one and getting the image to spear as well. I also liked the combination one from original edition with the symbols and colors...that was pretty cool too!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exupery wrote:

In the last 6 days I have played all 4 scenarios. I have succeeded finishing only the first one. I had to close the app while playing the other 3 because of them stupid puzzles, which proved to be a MAJOR game breaker for me.

Hang on, you had to stop playing 3 scenarios because you couldn't slide 4 blocks around the screen for 30 seconds, or choose around 8 different variations of colours? We're not talking Mensa level challenges here.

Its a wonder you can get out of bed in the morning, let alone navigate the complex pathways it takes to purchase a game, set it up and start to play.

If anything, we should be celebrating the momentous fact you managed to play a complete scenario without getting frustrated at the small red objects that appear to fall from your hand and magically display different icons when they land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kniknax wrote:
Exupery wrote:

Hang on, you had to stop playing 3 scenarios because you couldn't slide 4 blocks around the screen for 30 seconds, or choose around 8 different variations of colours? We're not talking Mensa level challenges here.

Its a wonder you can get out of bed in the morning, let alone navigate the complex pathways it takes to purchase a game, set it up and start to play.

If anything, we should be celebrating the momentous fact you managed to play a complete scenario without getting frustrated at the small red objects that appear to fall from your hand and magically display different icons when they land.

It may surprise you to know that everyone is different and think differently, some of the brightest people can have a complete lack of common sense, and some people who are good with puzzles could have a complete lack of respect for people who aren't, some people love puzzles, some hate them and there some in-between, who would have thought it.
I'm not a fan of these puzzles, at least with 1st edition they could be skipped, or the Keeper could provide assistance for someone who REALLY hates them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
For code puzzle:

Guess all of each number/symbol first. It will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steves71 wrote:
kniknax wrote:
Exupery wrote:

It may surprise you to know that everyone is different and think differently, some of the brightest people can have a complete lack of common sense, and some people who are good with puzzles could have a complete lack of respect for people who aren't, some people love puzzles, some hate them and there some in-between, who would have thought it.
I'm not a fan of these puzzles, at least with 1st edition they could be skipped, or the Keeper could provide assistance for someone who REALLY hates them.

I do very well understand that everyone is different. However, to quit the game completely because of the puzzles is a little extreme, do you not think? However, if you feel that they are too complex for you, then you in turn need to realise that for the rest of us, the puzzles are a very fun and immersive part of this game.

To come to the forums and claim the designers created them so they could (and I quote) "laugh in my face with your nonsense...puzzles" is somewhat rude and extreme of you in the first place. You have to expect a similar rebuttal to such things on a public forum that contains people who very much enjoy the game you appear to be attacking.

Anyway, my apologies if you feel offended by my original comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
For code puzzle:

Guess all of each number/symbol first. It will help.

Exactly. The code puzzles are by far the easiest/most skippable, as they can be brute forced very easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.