Mexico
Benito Juarez
DF
flag msg tools
Llevamos los mejores juegos a tu mesa
badge
Visítanos en Youtube
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong, I liked Captain Sonar (CS), I think it has a really cool theme and the way your submarine actions are hidden from the other team was one of my favourite mechanisms. However, for a real-time team-competitive game, it felt really slow and not very tense; finally I think one of it's biggest flaws is that it won't work as well with less than 8 players. Every time I finish playing Space Cadets (SC) i feel exhausted from the tension of running around space in our little ships and the rolling of the dice keeps me engaged with the game the whole time; SC also needs a high number of players to get in the sweet spot, but 6 people are easier to find.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something great with CS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well each to his own.

I will agree that it is less frantic. You are not trying to move your hands as fast as you can, but you are moving your brain as fast as you can. I have only played with four but found it extremely tense and exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Goyes
Colombia
Bogota
Cundinamarca
flag msg tools
badge
It’s true hard work never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance? - Ronald Reagan
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, I had high hopes for Captain Sonar. I enjoy Space Cadets but not enough to own it and if Captain is a worse game, I think I won't enjoy it then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
live every day as if it were your first
mbmbmbmbmb
marianoth wrote:
What do you guys think? Am I missing something great with CS?

I own both games and I have to say that both of them perfectly capture the different essence of different battlegrounds so to say.

Hunting a hidden submarine is a different thing than an open battle in space. Of course in both enviroments no one will hear you scream. laugh

Think of the personalities of Captain Kirk (Enterprise/Space Cadets) and Captain Ramius (Red October/Captain Sonar). Both are very dangerous and focused, but one is impulsive, the other one is stoic. Two completely different characters.

And so both games also differ from each other. In the best possible way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Stansfield
Austria
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
live every day as if it were your first
mbmbmbmbmb
jgoyes wrote:
if Captain is a worse game, I think I won't enjoy it then!

For my gaming group - all experienced players - "Captain Sonar" is the better game. Give it a try and judge it afterwards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Goyes
Colombia
Bogota
Cundinamarca
flag msg tools
badge
It’s true hard work never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance? - Ronald Reagan
mbmbmbmbmb
jumpwalker wrote:
jgoyes wrote:
if Captain is a worse game, I think I won't enjoy it then!

For my gaming group - all experienced players - "Captain Sonar" is the better game. Give it a try and judge it afterwards!

Will do! Thanks Leon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.