Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
174 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Is it just me, or is anyone else losing interest in board gaming? :( rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zen Yan
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into board gaming when I was around 13 years old (I'm currently 20) but as time passed by, my interest in tabletop gaming, especially board gaming, has begun to fade. I'm not saying my interest is completely gone, but it is significantly lower.

Does anybody else feel this way, or am I just being a bitter grump?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just you.

Pete (at least knows it's not also him)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into it at the same age. I'm 31 now and my interest accelerated around age 22 - once I was out of college. Not a lot of my college friends were board games, and I didn't have much control over my free time nor any money to go to conventions. Since then, I have met a lot more gamers and can take vacations in the middle of what used to be the school year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hethalos wrote:

Neither. If you don't find it as interesting or entertaining anymore, then that's fine. Doesn't mean you're bitter; your tastes are just changing.

That said, most people aren't going to share your opinion, as we're currently on a site called BoardGameGeek.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Mort
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not losing interest here!

But I do in a way understand what you mean. You're hitting a point in your life where there is a LOT going on, and hopefully your social calendar is pretty full. That's cool! Games will always be around. Be tired of them for now, seek out other diversions. Maybe you'll never play again - and hopefully it's because you found something you enjoy more.

But in a few years, when you find yourself bored one night with a few friends over, break out your copy of Catan (or whatever floats your boat) and see how you feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
I have periods of waxing to waning, but after 30 years I've never lost interest in gaming....The types gaming has changed for me, e.g. RPG's, CCG, Euros, 18xx, Wargames, Miniatures, etc.

But the love of the game has always been there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hethalos wrote:
I got into board gaming when I was around 13 years old (I'm currently 20) but as time passed by, my interest in tabletop gaming, especially board gaming, has begun to fade. I'm not saying my interest is completely gone, but it is significantly lower.

You will change (hopefully) in life. Things that were so important, may seem trivial sometime later. You do what you like to do, and nothing wrong with putting a thing on the back-burner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saint Gryphon
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My interest never wanes, but the actual playing of games rises and falls depending on how life is going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I have periods of waxing to waning, but after 30 years I've never lost interest in gaming....The types gaming has changed for me, e.g. RPG's, CCG, Euros, 18xx, Wargames, Miniatures, etc.

Pretty much this, albeit less time for me laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It happens; whatever you do, just don't get rid of anything irreplaceable in your collection that you might regret if your interest returns later in life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I am starting to feel like I don`t want to learn more games. However that might be because I don`t have the time to play much right now. And solo gaming is not my forte. When I do get to play games I have a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hethalos wrote:

I think it's Canadians in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hethalos wrote:
or am I just being a bitter grump?

well whats taken its place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Me too.

I went through many different "phase" of boardgaming, but have never lost interest.

First started with Survive and Stratego.
College came in, and i switched to Space Hulk and then (almost exclusively) to BattleTech.
After Fasa closed, BattleTech went where the dodos now reside. I switched progressively to TI3 and other ameritrash games and some complex euros.

Now i go much more for the lighter, more streamlined, affairs. Gimme stuff like the simple, yet deep Cthulhu Wars and the cute but fun Takenoko and Tokaido.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear god no!

However everyone goes through slumps. Life gets in the way so you miss sessions then you're not getting the constant excitement. Maybe no new games, or too many games dulls it.

Sure it'll pick back up at some point - but if it doesn't thats not a problem! I used to be into lots of different things; some have dropped off, some have carried on. Its all good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I'm turned off by hype and finding lack of time to play.

Also, most of the gamers I do find aren't patient enough for heavier games, and I don't find a lot of satisfaction when playing light social games.

Nonetheless, I take breaks now and again. Also, I want to get into woodworking and beer making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, my interest in board games has only increased as my odds of playing RPGs has diminished. In the OP's case, I would suggest looking into RPGs if board games are seeming stale. If you have the time and the circle of friends to do it, as a typical 20-year-old should, RPGs blow board gaming out of the water in terms of interesting decisions, story, characterization, game progression, etc. I hear the 5th Edition of D&D is a good one -- why not find a local group and decide for yourself if it's your cup of tea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, still going strong here. But you're 20. I suspect that if you 'grow out of it', you'll find your way back down-the-road. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:
Hethalos wrote:

Its true, only in the last twenty years was there a law that was passed that prohibited Canadians to own more than 5 board games. An amendment to this law was added by Senate that forbid anyone from playing games on Sundays, and game play count could not exceed 5 in one month.

We do have several undergound movements that ignore this law, but we use very clever aliases to conceal our true identity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCarty
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
Carrauntoohil
badge
Mt Whitney
mbmbmbmbmb
Bye, enjoy the sabbatical.

We'll leave the lights on so you can find your way back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Also for me. Gaming now also has to compete with more family/work demands of time, and other hobbies I've acquired over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You found another hobby, didn't you?

You just started off experimenting, thinking it was nothing. Then... this.

Your little fling has become something that's really pulling you away. Because what? Gaming's getting a little old for you? Not the same fire as your new young hobby?

Go ahead. Go on, go to your new exciting other hobby. See where that gets you. See if it does for you everything gaming did.

Just think of the meeples!

I don't even know you anymore...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
JRietveld wrote:
Hethalos wrote:

Its true, only in the last twenty years was there a law that was passed that prohibited Canadians to own more than 5 board games. An amendment to this law was added by Senate that forbid anyone from playing games on Sundays, and game play count could not exceed 5 in one month.

We do have several undergound movements that ignore this law, but we use very clever aliases to conceal our true identity.

You've slightly misunderstood the law. Technically one can own more than 5 board games, but 80% must be by Canadian authors. Some local ordinances allow exceptions for games aboot beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hobbies and interests change....and sometimes you need a break from a certain hobby....

It's your life, don't worry about it too much like you are doing something wrong if your interest is waning... Sometimes it is you just want to do something else but aren't sure what yet...

Something will come along but don't force things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.