Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to wargame back in the 70s & 80s (SPI, AH, GMT, etc.) and then moved on to other games. Now being retired, last year I returned to wargaming and the Band of Brothers series was highly recommended to me. Just in time, they did a Kickstarter and I picked up all three, which just arrived.

I've been devouring the Battle Manual and rules. Really looking forward to getting this to the table.

So today I grabbed Screaming Eagles and decided to set up Scenario 1.

I feel like an idiot, but I don't see ANY section on how to do setup or what the information on the scenario pages/cards means.

At first I noticed there are 4 numbered boxes at the top. I thought maybe this was the map layout and so I tried to put maps 1-4 together, which of course doesn't work because 3 & 4 are on the back of 1 & 2.

Then I noticed near the margin a map square with an upside down 5.

Okay, so I assume that means I setup map 5 upside down. Got it.

So what are the boxes 1-4? I imagine they're a turn track, but I cannot find anywhere that actually says that. There is a rule in the Recovery Phase that mentions advancing the turn marker on the turn track but nowhere is it identified.

What's the white star in the 1 box mean? I see some scenarios have the German cross and some have nothing? And some have multiple icons in different boxes? At first I thought it designated who moved first, but I see that's noted in the text beneath the map. So I have no idea.

I don't find any rules for entering from off map, so I assume they can move into any edge hex using regular movement rules, but this is an assumption on my part.

And the Victory conditions tell how the Americans win. I assume if the Americans don't, then the Germans do? I really wish even the obvious were stated in writing just to confirm things for those of us who are new to the whole thing.

Honestly, I find the rules generally really well written and clear. I just can't believe that something every other game includes (how to set it up) is missing from BoB???

Please try and refrain from pointing out how stupid my questions and comments are. Not all of us are ASL experts nor have a huge wargame collection. And while I'm sure that after a few games I'll know how it all goes and not need any instruction, the higher the hurdle for the first timer the less likely new players are to even bother to try.

And if I missed a section that explains how to read and setup a scenario, I'd appreciate being directed to it.

Thank you kindly for any help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got this yet, but it looks like section 19.0 SCENARIO CARDS on page 11 of the rule book might answer a lot of your questions.

I had similarly "idiotic" questions trying to set up the first scenario in Old School Tactical (the section on setting up was in the middle of the rule book).

I'm sure you're not alone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
I used to wargame back in the 70s & 80s (SPI, AH, GMT, etc.) and then moved on to other games. Now being retired, last year I returned to wargaming and the Band of Brothers series was highly recommended to me. Just in time, they did a Kickstarter and I picked up all three, which just arrived.

I've been devouring the Battle Manual and rules. Really looking forward to getting this to the table.

So today I grabbed Screaming Eagles and decided to set up Scenario 1.

I feel like an idiot, but I don't see ANY section on how to do setup or what the information on the scenario pages/cards means.

At first I noticed there are 4 numbered boxes at the top. I thought maybe this was the map layout and so I tried to put maps 1-4 together, which of course doesn't work because 3 & 4 are on the back of 1 & 2.

Hi Richard - welcome to the BoB system. I can almost guarantee you will have a great time.

Quote:
Then I noticed near the margin a map square with an upside down 5.

Okay, so I assume that means I setup map 5 upside down. Got it.

So what are the boxes 1-4? I imagine they're a turn track, but I cannot find anywhere that actually says that. There is a rule in the Recovery Phase that mentions advancing the turn marker on the turn track but nowhere is it identified.

The set of white boxes numbered 1-4 is the turn track, as you surmise.

Quote:
What's the white star in the 1 box mean? I see some scenarios have the German cross and some have nothing? And some have multiple icons in different boxes? At first I thought it designated who moved first, but I see that's noted in the text beneath the map. So I have no idea.

The white star means American forces enter on that turn, frequently as reinforcements, but in this specific case, all the American units enter from off map. In later scenarios, the German balkenkreuz marks when German forces enter, and white star when American forces enter.

Quote:
I don't find any rules for entering from off map, so I assume they can move into any edge hex using regular movement rules, but this is an assumption on my part.

I believe (and I don't have my scenario book at hand) but it specifies that the Americans enter from a specific map edge (not just any edge), which is defined in the American forces section of the page. I believe you can see a "north" arrow beside the orientation of the mapboards, and the Americans enter on a specific edge in relation to the arrow. I can't recall which side offhand in scenario 1 specifically.

Quote:
And the Victory conditions tell how the Americans win. I assume if the Americans don't, then the Germans do? I really wish even the obvious were stated in writing just to confirm things for those of us who are new to the whole thing.

Yes, if the Americans don't win, the Germans do. Again, I don't have my scenario book at hand, but I don't believe there are any scenarios where the "degree" of victory (complete, partial, draw, etc.) is specified by partially completing objectives. So, if one side doesn't win, the other side does. I think there may be some where a draw result is possible - usually with the phrase "any other result is a draw" or something to that effect.

Quote:
Honestly, I find the rules generally really well written and clear. I just can't believe that something every other game includes (how to set it up) is missing from BoB???

I will grab my rulebook and see if I can find anything related to how to set scenarios up. You may be quite right, but I don't want to say definitively one way or the other until I can read it for myself.

Quote:
Please try and refrain from pointing out how stupid my questions and comments are. Not all of us are ASL experts nor have a huge wargame collection. And while I'm sure that after a few games I'll know how it all goes and not need any instruction, the higher the hurdle for the first timer the less likely new players are to even bother to try.

You are correct in that the scenario set up is very similar in overall layout to an ASL scenario and that anyone familiar with ASL would be able to suss it out pretty quickly. And you're right - that sort of familiarity shouldn't be assumed, especially since this series is intended to kick off a whole new way of looking at tactical WW2 combat.

Quote:
And if I missed a section that explains how to read and setup a scenario, I'd appreciate being directed to it.

Thank you kindly for any help.

I'm going to find my scenario book and rulebook tonight and see if I can find the section you're looking for, Richard!

Again, welcome to the Band of Brothers series. Ask away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
I haven't got this yet, but it looks like section 19.0 SCENARIO CARDS on page 11 of the rule book might answer a lot of your questions.

I had similarly "idiotic" questions trying to set up the first scenario in Old School Tactical (the section on setting up was in the middle of the rule book).

Hmmm.

I have two books in my Screaming Eagles box:
Band of Brothers
Screaming Eagles Scenario Book

Neither have a "Scenario Cards" section on page 11 (or any page I can find).

Is there a book I'm missing???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Scenario Card section (in the rulebook) might be section 16, not 19. (I have several different rule pdfs in my BoB directory; I don't have my physical Screaming Eagles yet.)

In any case, FWIW having played only Ghost Panzer so far, my recollection is that scenario cards themselves seemed reasonably clear to me and told scenario-specific info like victory conditions and where reinforcements entered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I opened Ghost Panzer and Texas Arrows and all have the same "Band of Brothers" rule book, a set of scenarios, and player aid cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:

Hmmm.

I have two books in my Screaming Eagles box:
Band of Brothers
Screaming Eagles Scenario Book

Neither have a "Scenario Cards" section on page 11 (or any page I can find).

Is there a book I'm missing???

Look in the Band of Brothers rules - look for section 19.0 [edit: the actual section number in 2.1 rules is 16.0 not 19.0] - the page number may have changed because the rules layout changed in this latest "series" rulebook. For that matter, the section number may also have changed. I haven't received my Kickstarter set yet, so I'm only going off my old Ghost Panzer rules.

Just to help you out until you find it, (hopefully) here is the section 19.0 from my Ghost Panzer ruleset, which was the most recent ruleset until this Kickstarter:

Ghost Panzer Rules wrote:
19.0 SCENARIO CARDS

On each scenario card is shown the map setup and orientation, special rules, who sets up and moves first, and victory conditions.
A turn track is given for each scenario with a mark showing
which turns reinforcements arrive. A brief historical background is provided to give players a sense of what was happening historically in this battle. The following notes apply to all scenarios:

If a unit is given an entire board as a set up location, the unit
may not set up in a hex that is half on the board and half on
another, unless that board is also part of its set up location.
·
All or part of any reinforcements may be kept
off board to come in on a later turn.
·
A scenario will sometimes require control of a hex(es) as part
of the victory conditions. A hex is considered controlled by
the side that last had a unit move into/through the hex.
·
A unit eliminated by Op Fire, Final Op Fire, or residual
Artillery when entering a hex does not control the hex.
·
At the start of a scenario, all hexes within a player’s set
up area are considered controlled by that player.
·
If a scenario requires the elimination of one side, surviving
Decoys, by themselves, would not give that side the victory.
·
Vehicles may not be set up with a Move counter.
·
Moving off board costs 1 Movement point.
·
If a scenario allows for “Force Exchanges” they must be
secretly decided upon by the player before scenario set up.
These are always voluntary. Unless otherwise specified, units
received in a Force Exchange are available on the same turn
or restricted to the same set up location as the units given up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Found it! It's on page 6, section 16. Scenario Cards (of the Band of Brothers Rules 2.1)

I don't have it in PDF so I couldn't search it.

How in the world did I miss that??

The icons are for which side receives Reinforcements when. Got it!

Oddly it mentions moving "off board" but not moving onto the board for 1 MP. I wonder if they meant moving on from off the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
Found it! It's on page 6, section 16. Scenario Cards (of the Band of Brothers Rules 2.1)

I don't have it in PDF so I couldn't search it.

How in the world did I miss that??

The icons are for which side receives Reinforcements when. Got it!

Oddly it mentions moving "off board" but not moving onto the board for 1 MP. I wonder if they meant moving on from off the board?

No, they mean moving off the board. There are several scenarios which require units to move off the board in order to qualify for victory.

To move ONTO the board, you pay the terrain MP cost of the terrain being moved into. This little detail should probably be noted in that section. I'll flag it for Jim Krohn's attention.

In case it comes up, half-hexes are fully playable (but not always available for set-up, see new section 16.0), as noted in section 2.0. This sometimes causes confusion for players entering or moving units on the edge of a mapboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook 2.1 here in the files section that assumedly shipped with the Kickstarter (I haven't received mine yet) has the Scenario Cards section on page 6 as 16.0. It doesn't have any examples and doesn't really explain which numbers are where, though it does mention the turn track.

I don't remember having any problems with finding out what's what on the cards, but that may be because I have no wargaming background to speak of and thus had no preconceptions whistle

Edit: ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.