LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was doing well as the Haps and had managed to besiege an empty Istanbul. I had also captured Sulieman. The French player played Ransom to free Sulieman and put him in Istanbul. We had some debate about the legality of that, since you cannot build units in a besieged city, but in the end decided the card trumped the rules.

Were we right?

(In the end, it didn't matter, as I rolled the hits needed to capture Istanbul and recapture Sulieman.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ståle Mellesdal
Norway
Lillestrøm
Akershus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My initial gut feeling would be no, but I can't find anything to say you can't, so I would probably have allowed it. I'm not sure why you'd want to, though, as all it would do would be to add two dice to the defence roll and a very probable recapture. Mind you, I'm also curious how you managed to end up in this situation. It's always seemed to me that trying to capture Istanbul isn't worth the effort, as long as a single ship in the Black Sea will make it essentially impossible to achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Immanio wrote:
My initial gut feeling would be no, but I can't find anything to say you can't, so I would probably have allowed it. I'm not sure why you'd want to, though, as all it would do would be to add two dice to the defence roll and a very probable recapture. Mind you, I'm also curious how you managed to end up in this situation. It's always seemed to me that trying to capture Istanbul isn't worth the effort, as long as a single ship in the Black Sea will make it essentially impossible to achieve.

Thanks! That was my initial reaction too - both on the ruling, and on why you wouldn't want to. But since it's a CDG, France argued, compelling I thought, that the words on the Ransom card should trump anything else.

As to why, in this case, we had 6 new players, and I as the Hapsburgs suddenly had a very real chance to win an auto-victory on keys at the end of turn three. At the end it came down to whether the Protestants could successfully get a couple of hits to take Prague from me, and whether I could get a hit to take Istanbul. I think the thought for the Ottoman/French players was that if I rolled very poorly in the first attack on Istanbul then having Sulieman might give the Ottomans enough hits on me to make a second attack in the next impulse less likely. And at that point, they were all out of other options to stop me. Moreover, if I had not been able to get the autowin everyone would have ganged up on me the next turn, except the Ottomans, who were going to have to sue for peace regardless. Even the Pope was about ready to play Machiavelli on me to steal Naples.

It was a very fun learning game for all of us. I should probably jot down a short session report. It might be useful for other new players and I'm sure veterans could tell us a lot about how to improve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.