Colt Express» Forums » General

Subject: Would you prefer more balanced characters???? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ignatius MP
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi there,

I have been seeing some complains about differences among characters' powers. There are also lot of suggestions which try to fix it, however there is no official tip.

In my group, lately we are refusing to play Colt Express because the character is very relevant in order to win the game, and we would like to see a Faq or updated rules. Although we pick randomly the characters, and we do know that it is a light game, we do not intend to buy expansions because the unbalanced feeling would be worse in a deeper and longer game.

Is this issue affecting your games? would you like such a change in rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
ritter wrote:
Hi there,

I have been seeing some complains about differences among characters' powers. There are also lot of suggestions which try to fix it, however there is no official tip.

In my group, lately we are refusing to play Colt Express because the character is very relevant in order to win the game, and we would like to see a Faq or updated rules. Although we pick randomly the characters, and we do know that it is a light game, we do not intend to buy expansions because the unbalanced feeling would be worse in a deeper and longer game.

Is this issue affecting your games? would you like such a change in rules?

I understand what you are saying, but we usually do not really care too much. We choose what characters we want to play based on personality (ours) at the time we play. I don't think that the same character keeps winning. Each character can use a strategy based on their ability, and it may work and it may not.

This game is a free-for-all with a funny storyline every time we play. That's what we like to get out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignatius MP
Spain
flag msg tools
Thanks! It is fun for sure (however we do play it to win, very serious, as poker), but when you see Tuco's name in your card you know that somehow you are done. It's not such a big deal, of course, but this issue is preventing us to consider any expansion. And somehow it could be easily fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the horses of the expansion weaken Belle (which seems the most OP character). You don't have to start in the same part of the train and you can move faster to other parts, so Belle's ability won't trigger that often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't argue that it seems that some character's powers seem better than others, but I've never noticed one character winning more often than others... and I would assume they playtested that quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignatius MP
Spain
flag msg tools
I didn't know that, it is a good improvement. However in this case Ghost could be even better, right? The main problem, I think, is that Tuco makes nothing, Django almost nothing and Cheyenne with only one punch is also bah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does not bother us. Its a light, fun game. Have not noticed if certain characters win more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/22
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe just play without using any character powers? Or everyone gets the same power?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't mind it much, but it does seem like they really missed the opportunity to make the characters truly unique, like maybe more punches for Cheyenne or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tasajara wrote:
Maybe just play without using any character powers? Or everyone gets the same power?

That's what I was gonna say. Just remove the character abilities. Bam. Done. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignatius MP
Spain
flag msg tools
I have never thought about just playing without powers. This is a quite good option in order to balance it, we will give it a try. However, part of the fun of these games are the different powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
ritter wrote:
However, part of the fun of these games are the different powers.

So on one hand you complain about the powers, and on the other hand you say that it's a fun part of the game.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
He only complains about unbalanced powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
How will your marriage grow today?
badge
How will your marriage grow today?
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife - a family / casual gamer - has won this game 4 of 8 times, and has done so with a different character each time. She just has a way of seeing the programming mechanic and often guesses correctly what others will be doing during the tunnel rounds. It honestly boggles my mind how well she often plays this game when to me there's so much (fun) randomness thrown in there.

But again, her "W"'s have nothing to do with "unbalanced" character powers. She simply plays well, and wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about giving everyone the same power every game, but determine it randomly at the start? So one game, everyone will have Ghost power, but the next time, everyone has Belle power, etc.

Maybe even change powers at the beginning of every round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wiant
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Our only issue is that nobody likes Tuco, all of the other abilities are interesting, not OP.

Now we take it as a challenge to win with poor, poor Tuco!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Lovell
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
Our group hasn't really seen it as an issue.

I agree that there seems to be some unbalance with the different character abilities, but a lot of the game comes down to how you play your cards keeping in mind the player's special abilities. I think the horses and stagecoach expansion helps with some of that as mentioned earlier. We just played with the expansion last night and I won using Tuco. Never once did I use his special ability (we all think it's blah as well).

No one likes to be Tuco, but he has won a few times in our group because of drawing and then playing the right cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.