Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All 4 players are veteran Pandemic so obviously a few players have their favorite roles, having played Pandemic many many times. In our first game the highest die roller got to draft the first character card and then we went around clockwise picking out the remaining roles.

We lost the first game and our "Researcher" ended up with a scar. Ugh. Moving into the second half of January we were all fine with repeating the same roles.

For the rest of the season how do you decide which roles to dole out? Obviously it's not fun to be always stuck with a scarred character. Do you randomly do a blind draw from the 5 roles, do you draft like we did at the start of a new game, or do you stick resolutely to the role you always had? (The Medic seems to be very popular to a few players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We all played the same characters for the most part. ie. who is the medic stayed the medic, etc.

Can't say too much more for fear of spoilers, but ya, if someone is used to playing a certain character you may want to let them keep playing that role as they may have some insights on some moves not everyone would see/consider.

The game is a total blast! Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
The Pandemic Legacy rules specifically say (step 7 of setup, p6) that players select their characters after having seen the initial infection and their starting hands of cards.

This is an important difference from regular Pandemic. Being able to give the player with a lot of cards of one colour Scientist to effect an early cure, or the player with cards several people want Researcher can give you the edge. And you might, having seen the initial infection, decide to go all-out for quick cures and leave the Medic at home.

During the season, stuff will happen that makes such decisions trickier, subtler and more important, so I recommend playing by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've changed roles quite a lot.

Because you select roles after everybody has their starting player cards (and the initial 18 cubes are placed), it seemed to make sense for a player with particular cards to be a certain role.

ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We switched roles around so that people got to play with different roles.

Trying to avoid spoilers, however I'll just state that I think it would be very difficult to keep using the same roles throughout the campaign, so better not lock yourself into that at the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played through august, with all players playing the same character since February (and one since January). We do occasionally pick characters based on starting hands, but we accomplish this by passing the cards around the table, rather than the characters (we pass all cards the same way, so as not to re-arrange the order).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
pseudotheist wrote:
We do occasionally pick characters based on starting hands, but we accomplish this by passing the cards around the table, rather than the characters
That limits you to cyclic permutations, though.

After Alice, Bob and Charlie have played Medic, Dispatcher, Researcher respectively in one game, they might decide that it makes sense for them to play Medic, Researcher, Dispatcher respectively the next. Merely passing starting hands around the table won't help you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For us, once the setup was done, we collectively decided which roles would be best for our current situation. Once they were selected roles tended to go to people that played them previously, unless there was a reason for a specific player to play that role. The rest went whoever spoke up first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess in Arkham
msg tools
While three of us regularly change roles, one player in my group named the Dispatcher after himself in our first game and has not relinquished the character since (we're on to August now). Even when his hand is better suited to another character, he will not take it, so we have to swap places at the table to give him another hand so he can take the Dispatcher. There seems to be some sort of emotional attachment there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to change it up. A lot. Trust me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Doctor Mandy wrote:
While three of us regularly change roles, one player in my group named the Dispatcher after himself in our first game and has not relinquished the character since [...] There seems to be some sort of emotional attachment there

Wow. It's going to be pretty intense if anything bad happens to the Dispatcher now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Doctor Mandy wrote:
While three of us regularly change roles, one player in my group named the Dispatcher after himself in our first game and has not relinquished the character since [...] There seems to be some sort of emotional attachment there

Wow. It's going to be pretty intense if anything bad happens to the Dispatcher now!

The dispatcher is arguably the most powerful role in the game, so I get his attachment. He will just have to do what he can to keep him safe/out of the areas where he can get scars, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
pseudotheist wrote:
We do occasionally pick characters based on starting hands, but we accomplish this by passing the cards around the table, rather than the characters
That limits you to cyclic permutations, though.

After Alice, Bob and Charlie have played Medic, Dispatcher, Researcher respectively in one game, they might decide that it makes sense for them to play Medic, Researcher, Dispatcher respectively the next. Merely passing starting hands around the table won't help you there.

We did actually change character order once, because we had a theory that it would be better served another way. And for that, we changed where the players were sitting. Turns out it wasn't a good idea anyway. But the important takeaway is we never just let two players trade their cards, as that could actually have an impact on the setup of the game. Effectively we allow all the game combination permutations afforded for character selection, but we just accomplish them through player and card re-order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
The dispatcher is arguably the most powerful role in the game, so I get his attachment.

I tend to agree. Of course I think the other players in my game tend to think that about their chosen characters as well. Of course I seem to be the only one who has to explain how awesome my turn is going to be 2 to 3 times per game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
I'd agree in the base game, but Pandemic Legacy shakes things up, making other roles more valuable. (Not saying which, or why, to avoid spoilers.)

Also, some of the upgrades are very powerful and synergise with particular characters. Which characters you upgrade, and how, can matter more than their abilities at the start of January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
I'd agree in the base game, but Pandemic Legacy shakes things up, making other roles more valuable. (Not saying which, or why, to avoid spoilers.)

Also, some of the upgrades are very powerful and synergise with particular characters. Which characters you upgrade, and how, can matter more than their abilities at the start of January.

This is very true too. In fact, we did end up having to forgo the dispatcher later in the game due to more pressing priorities, but every-time we lost w/out him I made sure my mates knew that I probably could have avoided the loss condition if he was in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just from the stuff you know about before drawing any Legacy cards, there are some fairly obvious combos:

Pilot+Dispatcher takes the already useful movement abilities of the Dispatcher and makes them a little better, though you could make the case that other characters need the mobility boost more.

Local Connections + Medic is probably the most obvious synergy in the game - the upgrade is useful when you wanted to move toward an infected city anyway, but can't quite make it, but when it really shines is when you want to treat cities in two different directions, when it saves two moves. And if you're going to let someone treat disease in a city they couldn't reach otherwise, it's pretty obviously going to be the Medic you want to give that ability since treating diseases is kinda their thing.

Back on the original question, while certain roles got played a lot more than others in our game, we picked roles for each game first by looking at the objectives and our long-term plans and comparing them to role abilities (so in a practice game, with the lone objective of curing all 4 diseases, Scientist and Researcher are valuable), then second we'd look at initial infection and starting hands (if the initial infection is widely spread, the Dispatcher is more important; if the 3 cube cities are clustered together, the Medic moves up in priority, particularly if there's the city card for one of them in a starting hand; and, of course, if you have 4 of a colour across two hands, making them Scientist and Researcher for a round 1 cure is a solid choice), then third, once we had a pool of priority roles, with maybe one or two already settled, we allowed player preference to determine the remaining decisions.

So a particular one-shot objective might see a specific role with a relevant ability brought in for that one game. Or if the setup featured Predators, we might field Schwarzenegger, while we'd use Weaver for Xenomorph-heavy setups, while for Gremlins we'd just take halogen lamps and an electrician, and when it comes to ghosts, you know who we'd call (spoiler: the game does not actually feature licensed 80s movie characters and monsters)

The main point is that we rarely had all the same people playing all the same characters even if we happened to field the same team more than once, though some characters ended up mostly being played by the same player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.