Subject: Mission 2 AAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Alsen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Last Friday Dan Frick and I sat down to play Mission 2 face-to-face. I had the Americans and Dan had the Germans.

The Germans are instructed to set up on the hill, which they did entrenched. Three of the sections and the spotter were on the forward edge of the hill with one section in reserve.

The Americans used the first three turns to reach a line-of-departure in the woods in front of the hill. The 1st platoon needed only two turns to arrive and were greeted by the German mortar. A squad was disrupted but the Germans flubbed their mortar extension roll. This was the last we’d see of any mortar fire as all further recovery rolls failed.

Second Platoon reached the LOD in three turns which allowed the First Platoon squad time to undisrupt.

In turn four the Americans rush the German position. German fire on the on-rushing Americans was surprisingly ineffective.

Turn five begins with the Germans taking the initiative from the Americans. German fire focused on the First and disrupted all three squads. The American plan was based on a perceived short time available to accomplish the mission and the First proceeded to close combat two of the German positions. The second engaged another German position while two squads moved into better positions. All three close assaults were repulsed with the First losing three steps of strength (ouch!).

Turns six and seven had the Americans either recovering from their disruptions or regrouping from those failed close assaults. The Second tried some fire attacks but without any support weapons those attacks were futile against entrenched Germans on a hill. The Germans continued to roll well enough to bring the mortar back on line.

Although turn eight again had the Germans with the initiative the Americans resumed their charge. While German fire had some success the Americans established adjacency to all German positions. The Germans were also finally able to contact the mortar unit. As things stood the turn nine initiative roll would be all important.

The Americans did win the initiative and were able to engage all three positions before the Germans could effectively mount any defensive fire. The superior American close assault strengths and being able to enfilade two of the positions proved decisive. All three positions fell and the Germans were forced off the hill.

Since the hill was free of any Germans the mission was over…time to assess victory. The Americans were very lucky in their time rolls so only 13 minutes were used for the mission. The three American casualties added nine victory points to the 13 minutes for a total of 22 points. Unfortunately, any score over 20 was a draw. 30 were needed for a German win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Alsen wrote:
Last Friday Dan Frick and I sat down to play Mission 2 face-to-face. I had the Americans and Dan had the Germans.

The Germans are instructed to set up on the hill, which they did entrenched. Three of the sections and the spotter were on the forward edge of the hill with one section in reserve.

The Americans used the first three turns to reach a line-of-departure in the woods in front of the hill. The 1st platoon needed only two turns to arrive and were greeted by the German mortar. A squad was disrupted but the Germans flubbed their mortar extension roll. This was the last we’d see of any mortar fire as all further recovery rolls failed.

Second Platoon reached the LOD in three turns which allowed the First Platoon squad time to undisrupt.

In turn four the Americans rush the German position. German fire on the on-rushing Americans was surprisingly ineffective.

Turn five begins with the Germans taking the initiative from the Americans. German fire focused on the First and disrupted all three squads. The American plan was based on a perceived short time available to accomplish the mission and the First proceeded to close combat two of the German positions. The second engaged another German position while two squads moved into better positions. All three close assaults were repulsed with the First losing three steps of strength (ouch!).

Turns six and seven had the Americans either recovering from their disruptions or regrouping from those failed close assaults. The Second tried some fire attacks but without any support weapons those attacks were futile against entrenched Germans on a hill. The Germans continued to roll well enough to bring the mortar back on line.

Although turn eight again had the Germans with the initiative the Americans resumed their charge. While German fire had some success the Americans established adjacency to all German positions. The Germans were also finally able to contact the mortar unit. As things stood the turn nine initiative roll would be all important.

The Americans did win the initiative and were able to engage all three positions before the Germans could effectively mount any defensive fire. The superior American close assault strengths and being able to enfilade two of the positions proved decisive. All three positions fell and the Germans were forced off the hill.

Since the hill was free of any Germans the mission was over…time to assess victory. The Americans were very lucky in their time rolls so only 13 minutes were used for the mission. The three American casualties added nine victory points to the 13 minutes for a total of 22 points. Unfortunately, any score over 20 was a draw. 30 were needed for a German win.

It would be good to see some examples of mechanics to show how it matches the narrative. I have no idea from CSW or here of the actual game process and mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Denson
United States
Palestine
Texas
flag msg tools
This Wednesday Rob Beggs and I had the opportunity to play Mission #2, “Flushing Quail”. In this mission, the Americans are charged with driving a German outpost from a hill. This outpost consists of (2) Infantry squads broken down into (4) sections and a Forward Observer (FO) for a 80mm mortar section that has been harassing the American Battalion HQ. The American force consisted of a two Infantry platoons led by Lts. Cherry and Murphy and a MG section.

The following is Rob’s account of the action:

“I played my first real game of the LHY the other day with Mike Denson. We decided to try Scenario #2, Flushing Quail, with Mike as the German defender, and me attacking with a couple of American platoons. Mike generously offered to play with no fortifications and no reinforcements possible, which I quickly agreed to.

The game started off slowly for the Americans as they couldn’t keep the initiative and early German fire was effective enough to casualty reduce two squads. Here’s a strategy tip: Don’t bunch up your troops along a wood line when your opponent has mortar support; nasty stuff can happen. Eventually though, they were able to get close enough to assault the hill and, thanks to some low time lapse rolls, still have a chance to win the game. One attack on the American left was successful and eliminated a German section in Close Combat but the Close Combat attack on the right was a disaster with the Americans running away in disorder.

Apparently the attack had failed (at the time the score was 19, and the American player needed 20 or less for a win) but… then fate intervened and gave us an exciting finish. The Americans rolled ‘10’ twice while recovering units and those two heroic units led the charge and quickly rushed the hill again. This time the Close Combat attacks booted all the Germans off the hill and the game was over.

Unfortunately, the Germans didn’t take any casualties during those last Close Combat attacks, and with the score at 19, the American needed to roll a 1 or 2 (one minute) on the Time Lapse Table to get the win. They didn’t, and the final die roll was “6”, (3 minutes) resulting a final score of 22, a draw.

The game took a to while play because we stopped frequently to discuss rules and strategy, but I was able to get a good sense of the quick, streamlined play that the LHY delivers. I’m very much looking forward to playing another scenario.”

We both had fun and Rob seemed to pick up the game’s nuances quickly.

Mike Denson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable,com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, this sounds very interesting for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Denson
United States
Palestine
Texas
flag msg tools
Re: AAR for the "Chance Encounter" Mission
The following link will direct you to an AAR for the recent play of the "Chance Encounter" Mission posted to InsideGMT: http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=15650

Mike Denson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.