Subject: [WIP] Horde & Heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Pace
United States
Colorado Springs
Co
flag msg tools
Horde & Heroes is for 2 – 4 players and is a team based co-op style treasure defense game, which takes 30 to 45 minutes to play. Each player decides if they want to play on the Horde team or the Hero Team, however each team does not need even players. The Horde team wants to protect their treasure so naturally they build a path to the treasure then sit by and wait. The Heroes, in a need to be heroic, find a path and run down it to take whatever is at the end. In the time tested understanding, only 10 turns are allowed. If the Heroes can mightily get the treasure and back out, they are declared the victor and are allowed to leave. If the Horde manages to block the Heroes from getting away they run around the path in victory then tear down the path to start again.

Here is an example of the Horde (top) and Heroes (Bottom) troop cards

And here is an example of the Horde (Top) and the Heroes (Bottom) power cards

The game contains one deck for the Horde team and one deck for the Heroes, each deck has 72 cards. Each deck has a mix of troop cards and power cards. There are also 18 path cards and 5 treasure card.

The Horde team takes the path cards and the treasure cards and designs a path any way they like. The treasure cards have two sides, all 5 have one sides with a closed treasure chest. 4 of the treasure cards are fakes and have no treasure with the 5th card being the real treasure card.

Once the path is complete each player in turn starts playing troops on our around the path. The Horde takes up their positions around the path cards and waits idly for the Heroes. The Heroes run down the path choosing how they will master the path. When troops are in range they attack each other until one or both are defeated, or decide to call it a day and shuffle off.

Horde & Heroes is a take on tower defense games, in a card game format. I did not want to take a direct copy but inspired by the tower defense. Each troop has 4 values: Attack, Defense, Range, and Movement. The values are represented by the 4 Gems around the troop Picture. The power cards can enhance one’s own troops or hinder the opposing troops.

I am somewhere in a late Alpha phase. I have the rules in a good spot and a lot of artwork done and playtesting has resolved a number of issues. I am close to being able to send the game out to blind testers and start generating feedback from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pace
United States
Colorado Springs
Co
flag msg tools
Was able to get a another test in this weekend and it went well. I had ordered some stands to see if they would be more helpful with moving the troops. While they did help with movement it made it harder to see, back to the drawing board there.

It was also brought up that having the Defense act like hit points would be better and help the flow of the game. I am going to toy with putting numbers on the side of the troop cards for the defense and use a slider to mark it.

Overall the main rules are looking good which means I can start to shift to balancing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pace
United States
Colorado Springs
Co
flag msg tools
I have been able to get a lot of good feedback and have made some changes, including adding hit points. The Hit points have gone over rally well in testing. I found different colored sliders that can move up and down the hit point track that works wonderfully. The slider not only gives me the ability to have different colors for different players but it also holds the troop cards and power cards well.

During earlier testing we had wondered if more troop cards and less power cards would be better. I was finding that a lot of power cards were being drawn early on but few troop cards, this was causing a problem. I changed up how many troop cards were in each deck and I am happy with the results so far. There are now a lot of troops on the field and it feels much better.

The last few play tests have found some minor problems, some with card wording, which I plan to fix in the next build. I am hoping to be able to start blind testing the game within the next two months.

Here are a couple of pictures though the quality is not the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.