21 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Core Game Painting Progress: Completed! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're interested, you can see better shots of my monsters and Great Old Ones here:

Great Old Ones: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1551006/core-game-painting-...
Great Cthulhu Faction: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1562302/core-game-painting-...
Yellow Sign Faction: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1585373/core-game-painting-...
Black Goat Faction: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1585377/core-game-painting-...
Crawling Chaos Faction: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1619758/core-game-painting-...

Great Cthulhu:

Yellow Sign:

Black Goat:

Crawling Chaos:

And of course, I had to make a custom insert to fit everything. This fits only the core 4 factions...

Yes... I actually took colored sharpie markers and colored the sides of my spell books, gates, desecration tokens, and ritual marker. What can I say, I love how tokens look when even their sides are colored... I highly recommend it! It's such a small thing, but makes the components feel so much more complete!

I have the other factions, but I've got other games I want to work on. At the very least, I want to paint up Opener of the Way at some point... but that'll have to be at a later date. For now, I'm taking a break and moving on to other games that need some painting love. =)

GOD I love this game!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterful. Simply amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renjie Zhou
Belgium
Baal (Tremelo)
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite paint scheme for CW base game so far.
This feels much more live like with the muted colors less color saturation is beter imo.
Was thinking to paint them like this aswell. To bad i don't have the time anymore for painting..
Again very nice job. Here have thumbs up on all your pics and this post!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Saigetsu wrote:
My favorite paint scheme for CW base game so far.
This feels much more live like with the muted colors less color saturation is beter imo.
Was thinking to paint them like this aswell. To bad i don't have the time anymore for painting..
Again very nice job. Here have thumbs up on all your pics and this post!

Hah, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm going to start painting miniatures! Oh neat, I'm doing well.

*Looks at this thread*

Son of a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done! This might be one of the few times where a gloss - instead of a matte - finish could create a slimy or wet figure, but think carefully because what you did is great!

As someone who's painted all of Fortune & Glory and soon Defenders of the Realm, I have to give respect to someone painting Cthulhu Wars. I gifted a full set of Cthluhu Wars plus Artbook to a friend of mine and after seeing the boxes arrive (Wave 2 isn't here yet) I'm glad I don't have to paint all those figures. Sandy might have gotten me with God's War but I understand there's plans for "more" down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Afrofrycook wrote:
I think I'm going to start painting miniatures! Oh neat, I'm doing well.

*Looks at this thread*

Son of a...

Don't be discouraged! We all started somewhere and it's SHOCKING the amount you can learn on YouTube...

Autoduelist wrote:
Well done! This might be one of the few times where a gloss - instead of a matte - finish could create a slimy or wet figure, but think carefully because what you did is great!

As someone who's painted all of Fortune & Glory and soon Defenders of the Realm, I have to give respect to someone painting Cthulhu Wars. I gifted a full set of Cthluhu Wars plus Artbook to a friend of mine and after seeing the boxes arrive (Wave 2 isn't here yet) I'm glad I don't have to paint all those figures. Sandy might have gotten me with God's War but I understand there's plans for "more" down the road.

Honestly, half the reason I decided to throw down $200 for Cthulhu Wars was to paint these figures. Been a hobby of mine since I was a kid, heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
knorki butchek
msg tools
Amazing Work ☺

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Doe
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Easily the best CW paint jobs I've seen yet. I particularly like your Black Goat and Crawling Chaos work. But all of them are absolutely Amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are wonderful and the storage is awesome too! Do you have a WIP or guide for the storage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Talae wrote:
These are wonderful and the storage is awesome too! Do you have a WIP or guide for the storage?

Sorry no, I didn't take progress shots of my insert build... Just planned it out in Illustrator and went to town. There were a good amount of on-the-fly edits I made though, like choosing how high some of the walls should be in the Monster tray... It occurred to me some of the monsters and cultists would be a pain to get out with the walls at full height.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekgold and thumbs! That is phenomenal! Care to share the foam core plans? I am shamelessly admitting to wanting to emulate them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
Geekgold and thumbs! That is phenomenal! Care to share the foam core plans? I am shamelessly admitting to wanting to emulate them!

Hmmm, I plan things out in Illustrator. If you have Illustrator, I can post an EPS file with my plans. I built it so all the vector shapes are to-scale, so I'd sit down at my table with my laptop up and when I needed to know a measurement to cut, I'd click on the shape and get my measurements that way.

A bit of a pain, though, since I'm constantly using a calculator... I've memorized a few things to help, though... The foam core I use is 3/16", which is 0.1875" in Illustrator... 1/16": 0.0625"... 1/8": 0.125".

I'd say PDF, but off-stage, I keep some "data" notes which also includes a small map of just how tall each tray is in total compared to the overall height of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Fleider
United States
Dallas
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgeous naturalistic painting job and excellent photos. This is one of my favorite completed sets to date!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Prophet
msg tools
Amazing!

I have so many figures I want to paint for RPGs and other games, I don't know if I will ever have time to tackle CW. But I'd like to approach it like you did. Nice subtle use of color to tell the factions apart. Might be trickier with an orange faction though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Prophet
msg tools
@Pauljima: I see some gaps in the big figures. So you chose not to try to fill those with greenstuff or something? Did you do other prep like removing mold lines?

All the pre-painting prep is part of what makes the project daunting. When investing a lot of time painting it feels like it should be worth it. But it appears you didn't bother too much with it.

Also what did you use to prime them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
coolguitar7 wrote:
Might be trickier with an orange faction though.

My plan for Sleeper would be brown tones and some orange accents. Tsuthoggua seems to have sores or bulbas masses that I'd probably paint orange, probably with a gem effect.

coolguitar7 wrote:
@Pauljima: I see some gaps in the big figures. So you chose not to try to fill those with greenstuff or something? Did you do other prep like removing mold lines?

All the pre-painting prep is part of what makes the project daunting. When investing a lot of time painting it feels like it should be worth it. But it appears you didn't bother too much with it.

Also what did you use to prime them?

Yeah, I chose not to do any gap filling since these would be for play instead of display. Having over 60 minis to paint, I consciously chose not to do too much pre-prep. I left most of the mold lines, but where there was flashing or something that'd interfere with my paint job more than just some mold lines, I of course had to take care of it. Since these are plastic instead of resin, there's not as much detail... The casts weren't very consistent (lots of detail on some, very little on others)... So ultimately my goal was a high table-top quality paint job.

As for priming, I just used black or white citadel primer (I used both... Usually black on the big models and white on the small).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Prophet
msg tools
I'm very inspired.

I don't have Citadel primer. So far the only spray primers I've used are Tamiya on some models and X-O brand on some terrain. My concerns are primer sticking and also not damaging the plastic (I've heard some can do that).

I wish I could paint faster. I'm trying to push myself to go faster, but it is hard being a perfectionist and fairly new painter. I'm putting off painting CW for when I have more painting experience and can hopefully do it more quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
coolguitar7 wrote:
I'm very inspired.

I don't have Citadel primer. So far the only spray primers I've used are Tamiya on some models and X-O brand on some terrain. My concerns are primer sticking and also not damaging the plastic (I've heard some can do that).

I wish I could paint faster. I'm trying to push myself to go faster, but it is hard being a perfectionist and fairly new painter. I'm putting off painting CW for when I have more painting experience and can hopefully do it more quickly.
You can always get brush-on primer and apply it with a spare paintbrush (don't use your good ones, use a junk one as primer does bad things to brushes). Vallejo makes good brush-on primer, for example.

I've had bad experience with spray-on primer, as it tends to be too grainy and fuzzy and I don't feel like I can control where it goes on the miniature. Brush-on is how I prime all my minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, the primer doesn't need to be spray-on. I use spray primers 'cause I actually like the graininess it gives... The primer is supposed to help the paint stay on the mini, so it's supposed to add a little texture for the paint to grip. I've also heard Army Painter primers used with Cthulhu Wars with no problems... they have a bunch of colors you can use too.

Good idea on getting practice before tackling a big project... I suggest going out and getting a cheap mini to practice on. Actually, the last time I was at a GamesWorkshop, they were handing out free minis. Bought my primer, the guy pointed at the tray in front of me... "Take one, if you paint it, we'd love to see the results." =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow just wow !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.