Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Thursday!

I've been playing games for many years now, but I've recently decided to start reviewing games in an effort to help the BGG community decide whether a game is right for them or not. My goal is to not only provide a summary of the game and my own opinion, but include statements such as:

"You'll probably like this game if you enjoy games such as X, Y, or Z" or,

"If you're into mechanics such as worker placement and resource collection, this game is probably for you" or,

"If you don't like dice, keep away"

Anyway, you get the idea. However, as a fledgling reviewer, it only makes sense to direct my efforts towards fledgling designers. I won't be on the major publishers' radars for quite some time. For example, everyone knows that Kickstarter campaigns are usually more successful if they've been thoroughly reviewed prior to the launch of the campaign. To me, it seems like a natural, symbiotic relationship for a new reviewer and a new designer (such as are often on KS) to work together. The reviewer would increase their exposure and stay at the forefront of the industry, and the designer would gain much needed (hopefully positive) reviews.

What do you think is the best way to market myself to small designers and/or publishers who may be just as anxious for reviewers as I am anxious to critique new games. Any other advice you might have is also welcome.

Thank you!

- Curtis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tribefan07 wrote:
What do you think is the best way to market myself to small designers and/or publishers who may be just as anxious for reviewers as I am anxious to critique new games. Any other advice you might have is also welcome.

Thank you!

- Curtis

Review every game you own, put it on a website.

Now you can show any publisher or designer "This is the kind of review you'll get."

Don't start by asking for samples, start with everything you already-have so that people know what they're getting into.

The more work you've done up-front before you approach them, the less it looks like you're just trying to score free games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragoonkin wrote:
tribefan07 wrote:

Thank you!

- Curtis

Review every game you own, put it on a website.

Now you can show any publisher or designer "This is the kind of review you'll get."

Don't start by asking for samples, start with everything you already-have so that people know what they're getting into.

The more work you've done up-front before you approach them, the less it looks like you're just trying to score free games.

This is correct. You need review samples. Do a lot, you will get better.

Oh, and be transparent. Meaning, divulge up front any gift received for your reviews or any potential conflicts of interest when it comes to neutrality. I feel that goes a long way to building credibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tribefan07 wrote:

"You'll probably like this game if you enjoy games such as X, Y, or Z" or,

"If you're into mechanics such as worker placement and resource collection, this game is probably for you" or,

"If you don't like dice, keep away"

- Curtis

While the first statement may be useful, you will need to do a lot better than the last two to provide something A) different, or B) valuable. The other two could likely be garnered from reading a 1 paragraph summary of the game. The other problem with the first statement in particular is assuming previous knowledge of watchers, which will already have read the aforementioned 1 paragraph summary. I personally recommend always avoiding parallel knowledge, if possible given the subject matter.

The world of critical reviews is sorely lacking, practically replaced by summaries and 'I like this', can you manage to break the mould and get doing something meaningful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also buy a nice camera and learn to take nice pictures with your nice camera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be one of those everything is awesome reviewers..we have enough of those.

To be brutally honest. It is a VERY crowded field, you will struggle to get noticed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.