Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

At the end of every game two bonuses are awarded. I assume only two can be chosen regardless of how many players are involved. Collectively, the team tries to pick the best bonuses but how do you decide if you want to upgrade a character if an alpha player is insisting on upgrading their character first?

Do you give preference to the alpha gamer or is it better to dole out character upgrades to the MVP player as a reward?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Ah yes. Going back to your previous question, this is another reason not to have everybody play the same character throughout the Season.

If people play different characters each game, there is no "their character" for the alpha player to upgrade.

I definitely wouldn't give out upgrades as rewards. It's a co-operative game! Choose the upgrade that you think will help the team most. And remember there are lots of alternatives to upgrading characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blum
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
One of the things that dissuaded us from using a bunch of character upgrades until recently is precisely what Clive mentioned: The alternatives. We found that we weren't thrilled with the character upgrades given on the sheet short of one, and

Spoiler (click to reveal)
because we started encountering other characters, we didn't want to throw character upgrades on a character that we may not use in the following months.

We found ourselves drawn to the more, in our minds, all-around beneficial upgrades, particularly the eradication upgrades.

We've now finished August and

We've nearly fully upgraded our non-coda diseases and no longer have need (Currently) to add more starting military or research stations. This month is the first month where we actually decided to use two character upgrades as our end-of-game bonuses. We did find that some of the character upgrades we've since come across have been particularly useful as well (Don't remember the name off the top of my head, but we gave the soldier the upgrade to get rid of one faded in each city they leave, and I would probably give him the one that keeps him from gaining a scar if the city outbreaks, which would keep him from (currently) having a chance of getting even one scar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
jabthejesusfreak wrote:
We did find that some of the character upgrades we've since come across have been particularly useful as well (Don't remember the name off the top of my head, but we gave the soldier the upgrade to get rid of one faded in each city they leave

I think that upgrade was immediately taken in every session report that I read, as well as our own game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jabthejesusfreak wrote:
We've now finished August and

[...]I would probably give [the soldier] the one that keeps him from gaining a scar if the city outbreaks, which would keep him from (currently) having a chance of getting even one scar.

That's true, but that isn't complete protection:

Even a Grizzled Soldier is Lost if they're in a city when it Falls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.