Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What follows is a review of the components for the recent Kennerspiel des Jahres winning designer's small box game, Oh My Goods!, in addition to a look at exactly what you'll see when you rip off the shrink wrap! You can find my other “A Look In The Box” reviews here.

Oh My Goods, from Lookout Games, comes in a very tiny box. What's in that box? Cards and a rulebook. The rules are written clearly, and there's a pictorial summary of the game phases printed on each of the main player cards. The player cards are identical, and can be flipped to show a male or female worker.

Note (Thanks Alexander Pfister!) that second edition rules have been made available and can be found here: Second Edition Rules.

The cardstock is good, and the front of each card displays the marvelous art of Klemens Franz. Each different type of building is clearly denoted by a different color. The starting cards (char burners) are dark blue, while some other cards are light blue, but besides that colors are easily distinguishable. Purple might have been a better choice to char burners though.

The backs of the cards show a crate of goods on a brown background. Similar to San Juan, the cards also serve as goods. Personally I really dislike the card backs and found them boring, drab, and difficult to easily arrange facing the same direction (the crate has a shadow on one side). Fortunately, the wonderful card fronts more than make up for this.

With the main workers and assistant worker cards being double sided, and the char burners having very distinctive backs, it's easy to separate the different cards for setup. Being only cards setup is very easy.

One thing I really appreciate is that the box is sized perfectly. There's a small cardboard divider that does what it was designed to do, and all the components fit snugly and easily in the box, without excess air. Eat your heart out Gamelyn Games, this is a game I'd actually carry around in my pocket. If you like Klemens Franz's artwork and like what you see, be sure to pick up a copy of this delightful little game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Freire
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I wrong or the box doesn't fit the cards with sleeves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
victorwfreire wrote:

I haven't tried, but my guess is that sleeves would probably not fit. There is not much wiggle room!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
victorwfreire wrote:
Here is how it "fits" after removing the "insert" - sleeved using Mayday MDG-7028 59 x 92:

It's not brilliant but it's not as bad as it looks. Obviously lid wouldn't close flush, but it's relatively secure in that it's not easy to accidently remove the lid and spill the contents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.