13 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: X-Wing: Ground Assault Fan Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
The first version of the rules are now available on our website to download. This contains the core rules for ground units, printable 2D representations of units, new maneuver templates and unit and upgrade cards. These represent the ground units used during the Battle of Hoth such as: Rebel Troopers, Turrets, Snowtroopers, AT-ST and AT-ATs. Rules for the T-47 snowspeeder and some other units will be released with a full Hoth ground battle campaign in the near future.

http://xwingassault.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffery smith
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
looks interesting, can't wait to read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I skimmed the rules and cards... I want to like it... If I were 12yo again it would be an instant buy.

I think I am going to stick to X-Wing.
I may buy a few of the figures just for the "cool" factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
There is a Hoth Campaign pack in the works consisting of 5 missions representing various stages of the ground combat on Hoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I'm planning on playing the introductory missions this weekend and I will provide feedback after. I haven't made an account on your webpage yet, so Ill update here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
That would be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I'm liking the infantry combat so far, but I have a couple questions:

1) Infantry armor: if I roll a Crit and a damage does that count as 2 damage if they are not cleared by defense dice?
2) Using Grenades in Assault: does that take my whole attack, or would that only be 1 team? for example If I have 3 teams in contact, 1 team uses the grenade and then I can attack with 2 dice for the other 2 teams?
3) Defensive fire: do I get to reroll attack dice if I don't have stress?

also, for infantry vs infantry, have you thought of or play tested using a range for assault instead of having to be in base combat - for example if a team is within 3cm it can assault?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Thanks for the questions, here are the answers:

1) Yes, if after defense dice rolls there is 1 damage and 1 critical remaining then the infantry armor is beaten because of the critical result. So 2 damage would be done (removing 2 teams). If it was 2 damage results then a target with infantry armor 1 would be able to negate 1 damage result. This makes infantry armor useful in infantry vs infantry combat but not automatically reducing a damage result if a critical was also rolled.

2) Grenades are a disposable special close assault attack that is done before the teams actually fight themselves in close assault. It does not prevent or replace a team's own attack. As long as you have 1 team in contact you can use a grenade card. So if 3 teams are in contact, you can use a grenade card and then all 3 teams are still able to close assault at their own Skill value.

3) Defensive Fire is part of the close assault of the unit and any unit without stress can reroll attack dice for their own close assault attacks so yes you could reroll attack dice. With Defensive Fire only focus and critical results count. This raises a good point but I would consider Grenade attacks to not benefit from rerolls if the unit has no stress as these are a special upgrade attack in addition to the units own close assault.

If you have a unit which has some teams in contact with an enemy unit and some that are not in contact they can still "shoot" an unengaged team with a standard attack. So when determining which side has won the assault the whole unit should be considered for the unit strength not just those that are in contact. So as long as one team is in contact the unit is technically engaged in close assault and may be subject to a disengage move.
I think assaults are easier to determine if contact is actually made on an enemy as this triggers a new set of rules to consider. Being close (range 1) has it's own benefits for shooting with rerolls. But feel free to experiment with ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
thanks for the response.
I haven't played with the AT-AT yet, but I'm really enjoying the mechanics. I have a few thoughts below which is just me thinking out loud. I haven't found anything that I would consider "broken".

1)Sharpshooters - possibly let them shoot out to range 3 against infantry only. Maybe make an upgrade called sniper?
2) are you planning line of site for ground units? I know this could open up a whole can of worms, but I would think an AT-AT would block line of site to an AT-AT behind it and infantry shouldn't be able to shoot through other infantry units. Again LOS can be difficult.
3) I've found getting assault teams close enough to assault can be difficult (I understand thematically that makes sense if they're moving through open ground). What about adding a double time move that allows them to move twice as far, or create an upgrade that allows them to move and take cover?
4) LOS blocking terrain - maybe the campaign missions will include terrain that will block line of site, but I think that would bring in some strategic movement and could make #3 above not needed.
5) I'm not sure if this is what you intended, but I allowed my infantry to move as little or as far as the movement template allowed. For example they could move the full length of the template, or just move a few mm's. I think this allows for infantry's maneuverability
6) AT-ST may be a little too weak. Maybe add 1 or 2 hull points and increase squad cost if needed. I say may, because I'm not sure I played enough to fully claim it is.

Again, these are just my thoughts. I think you have done a great job and I'm very excited for the campaign. I hope I get time to test the AT-AT's later. Thank you for creating this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
1) A sniper upgrade could be possible in the future. The Sharpshooter card is meant to reflect skilled marksmen in the platoon. So range 3 is likely to be too far for regular infantry firepower.

2)LOS rules are common in most wargame rules. Although there is a lot of sense to them I think it may be simple to ignore these for the sake of playability and to keep things easier. So you can target any enemy teams in range. I agree that infantry shooting through friendly infantry teams seems "risky of friendly fire" but we can assume that the front guys are communicating and helping direct their comrades attacks.

3)Charging across "No Mans Land" is always going to be a challenge... even if Stormtroopers are shooting at you! However those ideas you have mentioned will likely become new upgrade cards as I have been working on these recently. But to better get an assault into contact often requires preparing the way with heavy firepower to suppress the target.... and a bit of luck with dice rolls.

4) Terrain should be an important factor for future rules. At the moment these have not been fully detailed and may not appear in the Hoth campaign as this is largely an open terrain environment. Of course there can be icy outcrops and undulating terrain if players want to model these. So players can freely add their own terrain features that will block LOS for ground based units and potentially be a hazard for aerial units. Concealing terrain like forests and jungles are something to consider when new missions are added later.

5) Of all the units infantry should have the most freedom of movement. So if you do not wish them to move their maximum move then that is OK.

6) I tend to agree that the AT-ST can be easily destroyed by certain opponents, such as strafing ships and P-Towers. However they can prove to be more resilient against infantry units that will struggle to damage them (needing 2 critical hits) and then it gets an evade die as well with a focus token. Against DF9 Turrets they are fairly evenly matched up. The AT-ST is a good support weapon platform with friendly infantry operating nearby to protect it from assaults while it provides covering fire for the infantry. So I think the points cost for what it does is fairly appropriate.

The AT-AT is a fun beast to try and can really dominate ground battles.... until the opposition brings in their air support!

Thanks for your questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
BTW, I did make an account on your webpage, so I started commenting there. Same user name
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JFK Friendly
Germany
flag msg tools
Did anybody try this and the other imperial Walker-Expansion which is available here on BBG (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20611040#20611040, We've Spotted Imperial Walkers)?

Any thoughts which elements to use from which expansion?

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.