Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to understand exactly how these Legendary Artifacts work.

Am I right in thinking that it doesn't matter if you roll just a number or a number grouped with an icon as far as re-rolls are concerned --- as long as the # is higher each time (Vorpal Sword) or lower each time (Aegis Shield)? And if you roll an icon also, I imagine that you have the option to do what it allows you to do before continuing your re-rolls with the Legendary Artifact?

The Legendary Warrior uses both of these weapons in combat. If you defeat the Legendary Warrior in battle, do you receive both of these weapons in a wounded condition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to have either one of them equipped in the battle and their sysmbol must come up as a result on the die roll. So if you equip the vorpal sword, for example, roll your dice and get a vorpal sword result you have unlocked the vorpal sword Slash ability. The ability allows you the opportunity to perhaps use Slash multiple times. If you use the vorpal sword's slash ability you may re-roll a die. If the result of that re-roll is a higher numerical result than what it was you now have the ability to use slash again from the vorpal sword. The newly granted ability can be used on any die, not just the one you just re-rolled. Once you use slash from the vorpal sword and the re-roll of the chosen die is equal to or lower than its original value the slash ability from the vorpal sword expires for that turn.

Note that if the initial result of the vorpal sword die was a normal sword face you have unlocked the normal slash ability.

I don't know if it has been stated but I would think if you use the vorpal slash ability to re-roll the vorpal sword die itself and the result is not the vorpal sword symbol again (even though the result may be higher) the slash ability expires for that die for the turn because you have lost the vorpal symbol.

Under the original rules the die is wounded regardless of the success of the re-roll(s). There was recent mention by the designer however that he may change that rule in the pending rules re-write and make the die only wounded if the re-roll fails to produce a higher result. The intent is to create a push-your-luck mechanic.

The aegis shield works the same as the vorpal sword, just in reverse relative to numerical values.

Regarding the reward for defeating the Lengendary Warrior, I imagine he is able to use the items without wounding them, beng that he is skilled in their technique. So when you get them they would not be wounded. Note however that you don't get both of them. The slash bar between the two images on his die indicates you get one or the other, your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Legendary Warrior does not actually roll the dice. He just gets the abilities.

Also, I don't think you can interrupt the Vorpal/Aegis abilities. If you stop to use a new ability, then the Vorpal/Aegis ability has to end and can't be continued after the other ability.

Finally, I would disagree that Vorpal/Aegis expires if you reroll the Vorpal/Aegis die and don't get the symbol. You've already activated the ability, so it would play out until completion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
The Legendary Warrior does not actually roll the dice. He just gets the abilities.

Also, I don't think you can interrupt the Vorpal/Aegis abilities. If you stop to use a new ability, then the Vorpal/Aegis ability has to end and can't be continued after the other ability.

Finally, I would disagree that Vorpal/Aegis expires if you reroll the Vorpal/Aegis die and don't get the symbol. You've already activated the ability, so it would play out until completion.

I thank both of you for responding but I still don't understand how these abilities work? Do they work somewhat like a boomerang? Perhaps I can give you a couple of examples to help me nail it down.

#1 Vorpal Sword: I roll a 1 with the Vorpal Sword symbol. Can I use the Slash ability immediately & then keep rolling this die? My 2nd roll is a 2 with the Vorpal Sword symbol. Can I use the Slash ability again immediately on any die I wish to re-roll again & do I now have a total of 3 on the Vorpal die (i.e. 1 + 2)? My 3rd roll on the Vorpal Sword die is a 3 with no symbol this time. Do I add the 3 values together for a final total of 6. I cannot do any more re-rolls. Is all of this correct?

#2 Aegis Shield: Do I need to roll either of the 2 sides depicting the Aegis Shield for me to get another roll? If I roll the side with a 2 and a normal Armor symbol, then will I have to stop rolling that die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
donnbobhardy wrote:

I thank both of you for responding but I still don't understand how these abilities work? Do they work somewhat like a boomerang? Perhaps I can give you a couple of examples to help me nail it down.

#1 Vorpal Sword: I roll a 1 with the Vorpal Sword symbol. Can I use the Slash ability immediately & then keep rolling this die? My 2nd roll is a 2 with the Vorpal Sword symbol. Can I use the Slash ability again immediately on any die I wish to re-roll again & do I now have a total of 3 on the Vorpal die (i.e. 1 + 2)? My 3rd roll on the Vorpal Sword die is a 3 with no symbol this time. Do I add the 3 values together for a final total of 6. I cannot do any more re-rolls. Is all of this correct?

#2 Aegis Shield: Do I need to roll either of the 2 sides depicting the Aegis Shield for me to get another roll? If I roll the side with a 2 and a normal Armor symbol, then will I have to stop rolling that die?

No, you do not add the values together. There is no accumulation, unlike with boomerang. You are attempting to achieve a single value better than the one you had on whatever die you roll.

donnbobhardy wrote:

Agreed.

donnbobhardy wrote:

Agreed.

donnbobhardy wrote:

This one was in doubt for me only because the closest mechanic to it is the boomerang which does end once you don't roll a boomerang. I could see those working the same, or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an example:

Quote:
You roll a handful of dice, including the Vorpal Sword. Let's say that among them, you get: 1, 2, 3, 4.

You decide to reroll the 1 and get a 3. You now have 2, 3, 3, 4.

You decide to reroll the 2 and get another 3. You now have 3, 3, 3, 4.

You decide to reroll one of the 3's and get a 1. The ability terminates and your final result is 1, 3, 3, 4.

To your examples. Vorpal lets you reroll any die, not just the Vorpal Sword. As Chuck said, these are rerolls, not bonus rolls, so you only get the final value.

You can't reroll the Aegis Shield with the Aegis ability, because it only rerolls your opponent's dice.

In the case of either die, irregardless of symbols rolled, if you roll the same number or lower, you can't reroll any more with that ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
donnbobhardy wrote:

This one was in doubt for me only because the closest mechanic to it is the boomerang which does end once you don't roll a boomerang. I could see those working the same, or not.

Each throw of the Boomerang is a separate activation of the ability.

Vorpal/Aegis are only activated once. At least, this is my interpretation based on the Dueling rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
Quote:
donnbobhardy wrote:

Each throw of the Boomerang is a separate activation of the ability.

Vorpal/Aegis are only activated once. At least, this is my interpretation based on the Dueling rules.

Yes, that's true and probably the correct way to play. Once you activate vorpal/aegis you play it out till you must stop or decide to stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="donnbobhardy"]Here's an example:

Quote:
You roll a handful of dice, including the Vorpal Sword. Let's say that among them, you get: 1, 2, 3, 4.

You decide to reroll the 1 and get a 3. You now have 2, 3, 3, 4.

You decide to reroll the 2 and get another 3. You now have 3, 3, 3, 4.

You decide to reroll one of the 3's and get a 1. The ability terminates and your final result is 1, 3, 3, 4.

To your examples. Vorpal lets you reroll any die, not just the Vorpal Sword. As Chuck said, these are rerolls, not bonus rolls, so you only get the final value.

You can't reroll the Aegis Shield with the Aegis ability, because it only rerolls your opponent's dice.

In the case of either die, irregardless of symbols rolled, if you roll the same number or lower, you can't reroll any more with that ability.

[/q

I'm really happy now that I asked the question because I was totally off-base in my interpretation. I mistakenly thought it was only the Vorpal Sword/Aegis Shield die that could be re-rolled. Now I see that it can be any of the combat dice in your initial roll.

I do understand the example you gave of throwing a handful of dice & then deciding which re-rolls you wish to take until you are forced to stop. I'm still not clear if you need to roll either the Vorpal Sword symbol or the Aegis Shield symbol on your 1st roll in order to be able to take advantage of the special abilities of these legendary artifacts.

For example, if you roll a 3 on the Vorpal Shield die with no symbol on your 1st roll, do you get any re-rolls on other dice? Or if you get a 1 with the Vorpal Sword symbol, can you re-roll the Vorpal Sword die itself in hopes of getting a better result? If yes, let's say your 2nd roll is a 2 with no symbol, can you continue re-rolling this die or a different die if you wish?

Thanks again for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't roll the symbol, you don't get the ability. This is true of all dice.

If you reroll the Vorpal, rolling the symbol or not on it or any future rerolls has no impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esto wrote:
I'm still not clear if you need to roll either the Vorpal Sword symbol or the Aegis Shield symbol on your 1st roll in order to be able to take advantage of the special abilities of these legendary artifacts.

Yes, surely, you must roll the symbol result. Note however that you could very well use slash from another sword to re-roll your vorpal sword (that originally failed to result in the vorpal symbol) in an attempt to achieve the vorpal symbol and thereby the ability.

Esto wrote:
For example, if you roll a 3 on the Vorpal Shield die with no symbol on your 1st roll, do you get any re-rolls on other dice?

No, you haven't unlocked the ability unless the vorpal symbol comes up.

Esto wrote:
Or if you get a 1 with the Vorpal Sword symbol, can you re-roll the Vorpal Sword die itself in hopes of getting a better result?

Yes.

Esto wrote:
If yes, let's say your 2nd roll is a 2 with no symbol, can you continue re-rolling this die or a different die if you wish?

Yes. At least that's what Donn and I agree on. Once you activate the Vorpal ability you can play it out until you decide to stop or because you must stop only due to not rolling a higher result (even if one of your re-rolls was on the vorpal sword die itself and you did not roll another vorpal sword). You can't suspend the activation however. Once you activate it you get just one activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.