$30.00
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this project seems like it will either never arrive or arrive in a very half-assed quality, I contacted AMEX for a chargeback but found out they couldn't do it as its been a year.

I tried one final time to communicate with them via Kickstarter and asked for a refund or I'd be forced to file a complaint with my states AG and today a refund was issued with no reply.

Really bummed at how much they screwed this up as HF was one of my final grail games but the mishandling of the project all but killed in my interest in it. The refusal to provide PNP stuff as promised initially early was really what makes me question how far along they are.

I really hope I overreacted and backers do get a fantastic product, but I'd rather have my $70 back and disconnect with the whole debacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you were able to do that, then.

I, for one, am simply viewing this as another brilliant illustration by High Frontier of how long it takes to get somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have to check my credit card, but Ares/OSS refunded my pledge (without me asking) for creating a hostile environment on KickStarter.

I have expressed my frustration, but always stuck to the facts and avoided ad hominem attacks. I've been much more civil than other backers. I'm curious if they also received refunds?

The entire thing has really turned me off to Ares/OSS, but not High Frontier, which has always been and remains a fantastic game. I'm glad I have a 2nd edition copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What a complete cluster-f*** this campaign has been - as I've posted elsewhere, AM/OSS can't do anything right.

If it wasn't an Eklund game, I would have asked for my money back long ago. Maybe AM/OSS will save me the trouble and grant me the honor of refund.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
What a complete cluster-f*** this campaign has been - as I've posted elsewhere, AM/OSS can't do anything right.

If it wasn't an Eklund game, I would have asked for my money back long ago. Maybe AM/OSS will save me the trouble and grant me the honor of refund.

I should add I don't hold Eklund responsible at all. I reached out to him and he was very polite and honest in his reply. He, in my opinion is just as much a victim in this debacle as the backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burton
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
I still have to check my credit card, but Ares/OSS refunded my pledge (without me asking) for creating a hostile environment on KickStarter.

I received the same message, and was given a refund without asking for one. While I'm thrilled to finally wash my hands of the whole debacle, I can't believe what Ares/OSS has done with this project. I truly hope the rest of the backers eventually receive what they paid for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The refund officially posted to my card; glad to be free of this debacle. At least if the final product isn't a complete disaster it looks like I can get it at CoolStuff for nearly $10 than I originally pledged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not pledge with the kickstarter, but bought it from the One Small Step Store end of last year.

I did request a refund now and got one without troubles. Along with the following message re the game which might interest some

"It's finalized with press and expecting a press proof shortly. But it won't happen in 30 days, so we'll refund."

If it finalizes soon I will get me a copy in Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
millenium_baby wrote:
I did not pledge with the kickstarter, but bought it from the One Small Step Store end of last year.

I did request a refund now and got one without troubles. Along with the following message re the game which might interest some

"It's finalized with press and expecting a press proof shortly. But it won't happen in 30 days, so we'll refund."

If it finalizes soon I will get me a copy in Essen.

I swear they made similar comments at the start of the year, implying it might be on the boats for shipping around June.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this thread I had missed before, some interesting comments.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1552526/who-are-those-guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampyur wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:

I should add I don't hold Eklund responsible at all. I reached out to him and he was very polite and honest in his reply. He, in my opinion is just as much a victim in this debacle as the backers.

I find it interesting that this comment was thumbed by Phil's son (Matthew), and that we haven't heard from Phil at all.

Seriously, how many red flags have to appear on this project?

High Frontier is a landmark release in the hobby's history, and the game (and Phil) deserve much better than this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eklund
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Vampyur wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:

I find it interesting that this comment was thumbed by Phil's son (Matthew), and that we haven't heard from Phil at all.

Seriously, how many red flags have to appear on this project?

High Frontier is a landmark release in the hobby's history, and the game (and Phil) deserve much better than this.

Hi Steve/all, just to clarify, my thumb was to demonstrate my agreement with the fact that Phil is very responsive via email. He has been on some tech-less beach in France for a week or two, but is back now. Like everyone else I am rooting for this project to succeed, and still think that success is likely. Despite it being out of SMG's hands i'm confident if you have specific inquiries that Phil can answer, that he would be willing to respond.

Also conflating me with Phil is risky business. I suspect I troll BGG a lot more than him. I am likely more in the loop than his average bgg-comrade, but not by much.

I for one am going to reserve judgment on the HF3rd until it is released... but who am i to tell people not to be frustrated by the process?

[my statements are just mine... like seriously just a dude in AZ... and not phil's or SMG or anyone else... and i'm putting a ninja face here b/c my 4yo wants me to... ninja]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew_Eklund wrote:
I for one am going to reserve judgment on the HF3rd until it is released... but who am i to tell people not to be frustrated by the process?
Great response, Matthew!

I really understand the anger of backers but I would also recommend just to wait with opinions after the release. With premature actions one can achieve absolutely nothing.

PS. To be fair, I am not a backer, because I missed the campaing. But I definitely would back it, and I am sure I will buy the game, although I am not really pleased with actual components quality. Especially ugly design and colors on player mats, although idea of new fuel strip is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew_Eklund wrote:
... but who am i to tell people not to be frustrated by the process?

Thanks Matthew - I was hoping you'd respond! whistle

I'm very much looking forward to SMG's new Fall releases (already pre-ordered), Bios: Genesis and Pax Renaissance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of people on this thread who do not know what "press proof" means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael c
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a good sign if they're canceling the pledges of those they think are being particularly abusive because they see that as a punishment. If they didn't think they'd be able to deliver, a refund would be a reward. As annoying as the delays and poor communication have been, I've never really felt as though they would not finish the game, so it hasn't been too difficult to mostly just ignore that project and focus on the projects that I've backed that will deliver soon. Plus, I've had two projects from Fantasy Coins that have caused me more immediate grief, and there's only so many projects that I can hate on at one time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
megamawax wrote:
I think it's a good sign if they're canceling the pledges of those they think are being particularly abusive because they see that as a punishment.

Well, this theory no longer holds water. Ares/OSS now states they won't even do this. So the only people who benefit (not get punished) were those who spoke up early.

Polite requests for refunds are denied.
And now even the noisy requests are denied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
National City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
megamawax wrote:
I think it's a good sign if they're canceling the pledges of those they think are being particularly abusive because they see that as a punishment.

Well, this theory no longer holds water. Ares/OSS now states they won't even do this. So the only people who benefit (not get punished) were those who spoke up early.

Polite requests for refunds are denied.
And now even the noisy requests are denied.

Maybe they didn't see a drop in the negative press, and concluded that refunds were not working as intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.