Hide
4 Posts

Vast: The Crystal Caverns» Forums » Rules

Subject: Monster Assignment vs Replacement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
raven demarco
msg tools
"If the population of the Bones Tribe is reduced to less than the number of assigned Monsters, the assigned Monsters remain. However, new Monsters cannot be assigned while the number of assigned monsters is equal to or greater than the Bone's Tribe population"

"If a tribe already has a monster, you may keep it or replace it with a new one"

So say I have 4 Monster assigned. My Bone population drops below 4. On my next turn, if I get a war card that lets me draw monsters, can I REPLACE an existing monster with one that I drew (since this isn't ASSIGNING monsters)? Or is the intent that no new monsters can come into play while the # of Monsters > Bone Population?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ezramantis wrote:
can I REPLACE an existing monster with one that I drew?

I don't know. But I'm gonna guess 'no'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mb
If the Bones tribe strength is equal to or greater than the total number of monsters you have assigned, you can swap/replace new monsters as new ones are drawn.

If the Bones tribe strength drops to less than your number of monsters, you can keep the ones you have but you cannot add or replace any of the ones you have with new ones, until the tribe's strength is once again equal to or greater than your number of monsters.

Think of them as trainers, where each member of the tribe can train/control one monster at a time. If too many of them get killed off or scatter the monsters you already have are still "tame" enough to remain, but the tribe needs to get stronger again before it can train any new ones, even as replacements.

Trivia bit: Until fairly late in the design, there was actually a penalty in place for when you voluntarily discarded a monster because you had too many. It was eventually dropped because it really didn't "add" anything to the Goblin game, and was relatively easy to avoid by keeping your tribes active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
raven demarco
msg tools
Thanks. That's what I figured. Just wanted to make sure, rule semantics being such as they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.