Subject: If you are not American can you still play this game well? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
For people who are not up on American history, can they still play well in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Potentially, yes.

I'll begin by saying that historical figures are only some of the names included. There are also athletes, celebrities, fictional characters, authors, and so on. So, it's not all about the historical by any means.

For any name on a card, it really helps if the clue recipient is familiar with the name, and it helps even more if he actually knows something about the person. Otherwise, they're forced to do everything phonetically.

A lack of knowledge is actually more forgiving on the cluegiver. Describing who a person is one approach to cluegiving, but there are alternative approaches. If the first name is the same as someone else they do know, for example, they can get the first name by referencing that other person. If they can even get a piece of the last name, then that may be enough for the recipient to connect the dots (if the recipient is familiar with the name).

Example: "I don't know this guy, but his first name is the same as Costanza on Seinfeld. Good, okay, last name. You put dishes in the sink because you have to do this to them. Hey you got it, great. So...who the heck is George Washington?"

I've seen brilliant out-of-the-box approaches work really well because you can convey a set of sounds rather than the concept of the whole person. It will often be a slower process than it would be if both partners know the person, but it can still be fun.

Another mitigating factor is this: our hypothetical player sees some of the cards before the game begins. During a round of play, he will see additional cards when he is the cluegiver. Eventually he will probably be given clues for cards he has already seen. By the second round, he will have seen and/or heard every name in the set, and he will have heard/given clues that were used to successfully get the guesser to name the name. So, there will be a growing familiarity with the names.

Okay, all that to say...someone who knows fewer of the names in the selected set of cards will be at a disadvantage, but it does not have to be a crippling disadvantage. And besides, the game should be more about the fun than the points anyway.

One last thought: you can leave out the historical figures if you want to. Just instruct the players to discard any cards with the (H) indicating a historical figure on it and draw replacement(s). If you want to go that route, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just got the game looking through the cards and there are alot of cards..
i took about a 1/5 and so for have piled
10 card i knew neither names off...
some i think sporting type people might know..
19 i knew 1 of the cards sides.. not sure how that plays in to the game yet..are you ment to choose to play blue or yellow or game?

23 cards i knew both names..and im not even 1/2 way though that 1st 1/4 of cards!

so i could vet a deck of cards i think me and players would know..
and make a bag cards i know are 2 side and common to all people
make a bag of 50/50
and make a bag of who the hell are these?

its bit of work though..

one card says bard of avon?
and that is William Shakespeare but no mention of that on the card weird!

to be honest though i've big pile of card i know both sides of.. i feel print and play your own cards might be the way to go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.