5 Posts

Catan» Forums » Variants

Subject: More Destructive Distaters of Catan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John H
msg tools
First post I've made on Boardgamegeek! laugh

I have come up with a much more "disastrous" variant of other people's disaster variant.

I introduce to you, the Disasters of Catan:

Disasters of Catan is a simple variant of Catan to quickly turn the tides of the game. It utilizes the Catan chits given in Seafarers. You simply take 3 Catan chits and put them off to the side flipped over. Every time a natural 2 or 12 is rolled, a chit is flipped over. Once all three chits have been flipped over, a disaster occurs in Catan, providing game-changing results. The disasters are determined by the roll of a single die. The person that rolls this die is the person that rolled the third 2 or 12.

1. Coastal Flooding – All number chips on the coast of Catan are stripped, scrambled, and then replaced on the board. All players must discard half their hand (If a varied map is being played, then all 6’s, 8’s, 4’s, 10’s 3’s and 11’s on the board are stripped, scrambled, and replaced.)

2. Mines Run Dry
– All ore and brick number chits are flipped upside down, and can no longer produce until the robber is placed on it. Once the robber is placed on a hex that has its number flipped, the number flips back over and can resume production after the robber is moved from the hex.

3. Wildfire – All wood and wheat number chits are flipped upside down, and can no longer produce until the robber is placed on it. Once the robber is placed on a hex that has its number flipped, the number flips back over and can resume production after the robber is moved from the hex.

4. Twister – All hands are traded to the person to your left. This includes unused development cards. Additionally, all players must remove a settlement from gameplay and back into their stocks. They may also choose to reduce a city back down to a settlement and return the city back to their stock.

5. Hurricane / Typhoon – The tile that the robber is on has the number from the tile stripped away. This tile can no longer produce resources in gameplay.

6. Earthquake – All numbers adjacent to where the robber is placed, must be rotated clockwise by three positions.

This variant has been playtested MULTIPLE TIMES. Disasters occur about 1 or 2 times per game. (My games usually last 2 hours.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of variants, and this is a fine concept for one. However, the way you've implemented it seems way too harsh and way too luck-based. Are you familiar with Cities & Knights? I'd recommend a system more like that used for the barbarian attack. And many of the progress cards also might give you the kind of flavor you're looking for (Master Merchant, Commercial Harbor, Diplomat, Intrigue, Wedding, Bishop, Saboteur, Deserter, Inventor, Alchemist).

Also, you've got no way to recover from the Hurricane/Typhoon - that one tile remains face down for the rest of the game. What happens to the number on it? The way you've got it working seems to just slow the game down - that is, with all players discarding half their hand, removing settlements, downgrading cities, ore/wood/wheat becoming completely unavailable for a long period of time - when one of these things happens, the game grinds to a snail's pace, and takes a long time to speed up again.

Catan can be thought of as an early resource engine game - you get resources from settlements, use them to build more settlements, to get more resources, etc. What you've got here is an event which severely damages everyone's engine - based on luck only - with no relation to player decisions or strategy.

All players discarding half their hand - all by itself, with no additional effect, is already a very harsh and disruptive disaster to the game. Likewise, all player's returning one settlement to stock or reducing one city to a settlement - with no other effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Knyazev
Russia
Pyatigorsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is really interesting variant! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
msg tools
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I'm a big fan of variants, and this is a fine concept for one. However, the way you've implemented it seems way too harsh and way too luck-based. Are you familiar with Cities & Knights? I'd recommend a system more like that used for the barbarian attack. And many of the progress cards also might give you the kind of flavor you're looking for (Master Merchant, Commercial Harbor, Diplomat, Intrigue, Wedding, Bishop, Saboteur, Deserter, Inventor, Alchemist).

Also, you've got no way to recover from the Hurricane/Typhoon - that one tile remains face down for the rest of the game. What happens to the number on it? The way you've got it working seems to just slow the game down - that is, with all players discarding half their hand, removing settlements, downgrading cities, ore/wood/wheat becoming completely unavailable for a long period of time - when one of these things happens, the game grinds to a snail's pace, and takes a long time to speed up again.

Catan can be thought of as an early resource engine game - you get resources from settlements, use them to build more settlements, to get more resources, etc. What you've got here is an event which severely damages everyone's engine - based on luck only - with no relation to player decisions or strategy.

All players discarding half their hand - all by itself, with no additional effect, is already a very harsh and disruptive disaster to the game. Likewise, all player's returning one settlement to stock or reducing one city to a settlement - with no other effect.

I have edited the hurricane / typhoon to make it more clear. This disaster was loosely based off of the "Oil Springs" disaster that occurs with the scenario. There is not supposed to be recovery for this particular disaster.

Also, The reason I added these disasters was provide a turn in the game. This variant provides the player(s) with a challenge to adapt to changing surroundings, much like the real world would with real disasters. Someone with lots of wood in his hand could suddenly become a main trading partner if a wildfire occurs, as wood and wheat becomes extremely scarce. A flood could end someone's valuable resource output, resulting in finding a new location for resource output.

I guess this variant isn't for everyone. I enjoy the luck factor of Catan, while you seem very set on the strategy part of Catan.

I would like to hear more of your opinion though. How would you balance these disasters? (I really tried to aim for something that would either hurt everyone, or just one person when I made this variant.) (I have heard of Cities and Knights, and I plan to purchase it in the near future.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
One way to mitigate the luck a little bit is to flip the tokens on a 2, 3, 11, or 12 (which makes flipping a token 3 times as likely), but have three times as many tokens. This gives players a lot more "advance warning" when a disaster is getting close.

One thing you might consider doing is to simplify the whole thing. So maybe just call it a generic disaster, instead of rolling on a table - just have everyone lose half their hand and that's it.

Or you could decide at the beginning of the game what disaster Catan is susceptible to.

I'd eliminate the Mines Run Dry and Wildfire events entirely (unless you completely change the effects). The central mechanism of the game is the resource production, and when you stop doing that, you're stopping the main activity of the game.

So how 'bout something like this:

1. Coastal Flooding - Roll another d6 to determine which side of the island floods. Harbors on that side are unusable for that turn. Players with coastal cities or settlement on that side lose half their hand. Players with cities or settlements on those three hexes, but not on the coast, lose one card at random. (Optionally, switch the number chits on that side randomly.)

2. Mine Collapse - All players lose half their Ore. Randomly switch the number chits on all the Mountain hexes.

3. Forest Fire - All players lose half their Wood. Pick up all the Forest and Pasture hexes and replace them randomly. Keep all the number chits in the same place.

4. Tornado - All players lose half their Wheat and half their Sheep.

5. Earthquake - All players reduce one city to a settlement. There is no penalty to a player who has no cities. Pick up all the 3- and 4- chits and redistribute them randomly. Then pick up all the 9- and 10- chits and redistribute them randomly.

6. Windfall - All players get one resource card of their choice.

Something like that.

Also, you might want to add some kind of protection option for players, like this:

Emergency Storage Warehouse: A player may build one of these for 1 Ore, 1 Clay, and 1 Wood. Once a player has built a warehouse, at the end of his turn (including the turn he built it) he may place one card from his hand in the warehouse. Cards in the warehouse do not count against hand limit, and cannot be stolen by the Robber, and are not subject to Monopoly, nor to any disasters. The only way cards can leave the warehouse is if the player spends them or trades them away. After a disaster is resolved, all affected players with warehouses take the cards from their warehouse into their hands. The warehouses themselves are considered destroyed, but may be rebuilt. A player cannot have more than one warehouse at a time.

So you can pay three cards in advance, which you never get back, to protect some cards - one per turn, provided you don't spend or trade them away. Hmmm... I'm thinking there should be a maximum capacity of the warehouse, like maybe only 4 or 5 cards. Or perhaps have cards in the warehouse count as only half-cards for rolling a 7 and the Monopoly. So if a Monopoly is called on Wheat, you give all the wheat from your hand, and half the wheat from your warehouse (rounded up). And when the 7 is rolled, you lose half your total cards (hand + warehouse), if the cards in your hand, plus half the cards in your warehouse, is greater than 7. So if you have 5 cards in your hand, and 4 cards in your warehouse, 5 + (4/2) = 7, so you don't lose cards. But if you have 5 cards in your hand and 5 in your warehouse, 5 + (5/2) = 7.5, more than 7, so you lose half of those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.