Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious as this game begins to get circulated (e.g., GenCon, with general release later next month), which of the three Global Parameters (Oxygen, Oceans, Temperature) do you see getting maxed out first in multi-player sessions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Locke Cole
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the few times I've played, it seems oceans usually get finished first, mostly because there are fewer steps and ice comets are always popular. Oxygen is next because everyone throws down greenery and cities for points before the end, and temp hangs in until someone pulls the trigger to end it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Locke Cole
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say though, that temp is usually the first to go up to the midway, because of track rewards and many cards that need higher temps, even if it's the last to max.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a thrill to hear that, Locke. It proves that the game is varied indeed. My experience is the opposite, that temperature is usually first, because it is generated automatically from energy and heat, two popular and fairly inexpensive resources. Then comes oxygen, plants being a little more expensive, and a lot of plant cards require temperature. Plants are also automatically produced once you get production of it, but they are also the main target for attacky cards, such as asteroids and comets. Oceans, however, must be placed using cards or the standard projects. In the basic game this would be quite quick, but in the Corporate Era (which I always play) these cards are a bit more rare. That being said, the parameters reach the top in different order a lot of times, making it a very dynamic game where your strategy could be to focus on one parameter to be able to get certain cards out early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's going to vary a good bit based on what cards come out.

In one solo game, I had the action card that allowed me to turn in energy for steel and an oxygen increase. As such, I had that cranking right away, which led to oxygen being maxed first. In another, I got my heat production up very quickly and maxed temp first. In a 3rd, they all went up fairly evenly.

However, I will say I only pulled off the solo victory once. In one of the games, I was 8 mega credit short of being able to play my last ocean tile. And in another, I was 20 mega credits short of raising the temperature 2 spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daisy and Chris Swaffer
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In playtesting, this varied a lot depending on what strategies players were going for.

Particularly if 2 players' strategies targeted the same thing, it would rise _very_ quickly and the players would have to find another focus to their 'engine' if they wanted to keep gaining points.

Sometimes the strategies happen so that for a while no-one is targeting these areas, instead building their 'engines' up, getting cards that give points, etc and then it's later on in the game that they all max out quite quickly.

Basically, with such a huge deck of all unique cards leading to such a massive amount of strategy variation game to game, there is no usually unless you have a player who always likes to go for one of them in particular no matter what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Love Nilsson
Sweden
Trelleborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmb
I see temperature getting maxed out first in multi-player sessions, more often than the other two global parameters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.