$35.00
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played solo last night to get the rules down. I found the game fun but would have felt the theme a lot more if the artwork was improved.

This has been my only encounters game so I can't say whether this is better than it predecessors.

Personally if you are going to get one Legendary game I would get the Marvel version. It has an enormous card library and multiple schemes that change game play. It solos fine and from what I have seen has leaps and bounds more replay potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The firefly gameplay was awesome. The episodes I played each had a different feel. For instance, some episodes you want to scan others you need to be careful or you could hurt yourself.

My only complaint was the artwork. I have watched the series upwards of a dozen times and at points I was having a hard time recognizing some scenes and/or characters. In addition, the strike cards are horrendous. If they released a mini expansion of just those cards redone I would buy it and trash the ones in the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Artwork included (gladly) --- How is the Actual Gameplay ??
I scrolled through some of the art here in the gallery and have to say it looks right in line with the Alien cards in comparison to the "real" thing. I'm not a fanboy mind you, but know the show and characters enough to know it looks pretty good in reality. It's a game. It's not a movie tie-in photobook, nor should it be.

And the new keywords on the cards had me excited too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
klkitchens wrote:
I scrolled through some of the art here in the gallery and have to say it looks right in line with the Alien cards in comparison to the "real" thing. I'm not a fanboy mind you, but know the show and characters enough to know it looks pretty good in reality. It's a game. It's not a movie tie-in photobook, nor should it be.

Well, make sure you keep scrolling to the strike cards, because they are just downright terrible. There are other bad cards too, but those are unbelievably bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
markblasco wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

Well, make sure you keep scrolling to the strike cards, because they are just downright terrible. There are other bad cards too, but those are unbelievably bad.

You have a link? Don't see them in image gallery or google.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Mann
South Korea
Seoul
Seoul Teukbyeol-si
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gilford wrote:

I'm SOLO only. So no party atmosphere saving it for me.

IS there anything special I wouldn't already get from Aliens, and Predator ?

I'm already considering Big Trouble in Little China (where the campy artwork works for it) as my only "Legendary" system game.

THANKS

Incidentally, Big Trouble is the only Legendary set that does not come with solo rules. You'll have to play the game managing at least two hands, though this is how I already play the Legendary games solo, particularly the Encounters games.

I'm waiting on my copy of Firefly to arrive, but I have already immensely enjoyed the other two Encounters games even as a solo experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Simpson
msg tools
klkitchens wrote:
markblasco wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1617109/card-spoilers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPyro wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
markblasco wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

The strike cards are the third picture down in the third grouping of pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:
MrPyro wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
markblasco wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

The strike cards are the third picture down in the third grouping of pictures.

Yeah, a couple are a little less good than the others, but not enough to downgrade the whole game imo. And well within the standards of the Legendary series, compared to Aliens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why miniature market still has this listed as preorder and hasn't shipped it out yet. . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
I wonder why miniature market still has this listed as preorder and hasn't shipped it out yet. . . .

Would assume they have not received they copies in the warehouse yet. CSI has it and is shipping. And more are on Amazon (still at $60!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game plays quite enjoyably for a fan of the series. Lots of fun getting to take on the role of one of your favorite fictional misfits and playing through the episodes. The games I've played so far have done a great job of capturing the theme and feel of each episode in an engaging way. If you've played any of the other Legendary encounters games you'll know that's it's a quality game play engine with a firefly spin.

That being said replayability is probably highly dependent on how you view things personally. For me, playing through it again once I know what awaits is similar to re-watching the show that I've seen a dozen times. The surprise may be gone but it will still be a rewarding experience. But with each episode only having 10-12 cards along with the dozen side jobs you will eventually know what's coming. Less opportunity to mix and match groups you haven't seen in awhile like in Legendary Marvel.

I for one and happy with my purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jsesta84 wrote:
The game plays quite enjoyably for a fan of the series. Lots of fun getting to take on the role of one of your favorite fictional misfits and playing through the episodes. The games I've played so far have done a great job of capturing the theme and feel of each episode in an engaging way. If you've played any of the other Legendary encounters games you'll know that's it's a quality game play engine with a firefly spin.

That being said replayability is probably highly dependent on how you view things personally. For me, playing through it again once I know what awaits is similar to re-watching the show that I've seen a dozen times. The surprise may be gone but it will still be a rewarding experience. But with each episode only having 10-12 cards along with the dozen side jobs you will eventually know what's coming. Less opportunity to mix and match groups you haven't seen in awhile like in Legendary Marvel.

SO with Legendary Encounters: Alien, you have the option of mixing and matching the objective/character decks from different movies. Is that random factor also available? Do they include the rules for combining Alien and Firefly? "Oops, we landed where?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get most of my preorders on miniature market & from my experience they tend to get their stuff listed a few days later than CSI. If it doesn't update today, then it won't be till Monday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
SO with Legendary Encounters: Alien, you have the option of mixing and matching the objective/character decks from different movies. Is that random factor also available? Do they include the rules for combining Alien and Firefly? "Oops, we landed where?"

I was more referring to Legendary Marvel here not the encounters games. They are all pretty similar since they follow a specific plot of movies or TV shows in that yes you can mix and match random movies/episodes to play a game but that just strikes me as odd. In the Marvel universe you're just playing out fights between heroes and villains so you can take fun liberties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
jsesta84 wrote:

Each of the 15 episodes have a deck and each deck is labeled a,b, or c. A game is comprised of an a,b and c deck. You can mix and match as long as you have one of each. There is also rules to play through all the episodes as a campaign.

I enjoy the game and have fun playing it. If you like firefly you will most likely enjoy it yourself. That being said the characters should all be quickly recognizable and that is not the case. I am torn on buying it because it encourages them to keep using crap artwork but if I don't buy it they might not make the themed games I like. A fun catch-22. I just hope they see fan feedback and take it into consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
As I noted in my post-GenCon review, I like the gameplay. Firefly is the most complicated of Legendary games so far, but it's incorporating new genre-specific things like Ship Strikes, Ship Upgrades, Talents, Flaws, Side Jobs, and episode objectives other than "Kill this to win the objective" or "Clear this square and then spend X Recruit to win the objective."

The main issue is playability, which probably depends on how much you want to replay the 15 objectives while using the same selection of 9 characters. It doesn't strike me as a game that you'd play every week and always have a different experience (i.e., Marvel Legendary). But more of a game that you'd play through, maybe play the full 15 episodes, and then come back to in a month or three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:
I get most of my preorders on miniature market & from my experience they tend to get their stuff listed a few days later than CSI. If it doesn't update today, then it won't be till Monday.

FYI. Looks like miniature market has changed the status from pre-order to in stock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
gilford wrote:
Steve-- thanks for the great comments on this and my BT post.
If I'm correct, you think Encounter is the better "story & player engagement" while Legendary has the better replay value? Though maybe no so much with BT because of lack of expansions?

I don't know if I'd want to buy a game to play through once and basically be done. Even in Pathfinder ACG, you can go through many many times as different people and have different experiences each time, even though the scenario goal remains the same. Doesn't seem FF has that potential.

And I don't know if the added replayability of BT is enough if the story or "variety" isn't there.

Ahhhhh.... I want to enjoy at least one of them !

Well, story engagement is what you put into it. I like how the designers set up the stories to be resolved using the Legendary system.

I'd say marvel definitely has the greater replay value, but that depends on how many expansions you have. The base Marvel system isn't that replayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gilford wrote:
I think I may pass on this one. I have Firefly the Board Game + Fistful of Credits... and Credits already has limited reply, and is based on episodes (which doesn't seem to be getting any further ones any time soon).

Might move more towards BT for Legendary instead.

Now having played both, I bought Firely. It does an admirable job of capturing the Firefly world. The designer clearly tailored the Legendary play style to fit the game, rather than try to thematically shoe-horn Firefly into Legendary. It works, and works well.

For added fun, watch three episodes in a row, and then play those same three episodes in the game. My son and I have been doing this, and it's a hoot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.