Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nickel Eye
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Above and Below yet. I have been eyeing it for awhile and will be picking up a copy as soon as the expected restock hits in the next month or two.

My question is with the Near and Far Kick-starter winding down soon(next few hours) is it worth $23 for the "Expanded Edition" tokens and "Desert Labyrinth and Underforest Encounter Book"? That increases the cost of Above and Below by over 50%.

I am fine with that if it increases re-playibility or just enjoyment of the game by a good amount, I just don't want to spend almost as much as another small board game for something superfluous.

So, what is the verdict yay or nay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's a fairly significant expansion for a very reasonable price in today's world of $60 big box expansions, and $30 for a miniature with a card.

If you only play the game once or twice it will be a waste, though, so if you've never played the game I can't really comment on if it will be worth it for you or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nickel Eye
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. Knowing it's significant is all I needed to know. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't empty filler as KS exclusives sometimes can be.

I'm excited for the game, but even if it doesn't click with me for whatever reason knowing that the add-on has value gives me peace of mind if I want to trade, sell or gift the game down the line. Especially since this may be my one shot to pick it up.

Thanks again for the insight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After about 8 2 player and 6 3 player and 5 4 player games, I ordered it. The base game is superb and I can see playing it a lot. I feel the expansion will keep it fresh. I will let you know in May 2017.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mikols
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I previously owned the kickstarter version of a&b but sold it when I was offered a ridiculous amount for it. Only aspect of the kickstarter exclusives I used was honestly the 7 villagers, and probably those two extra $5's if you wanna get technical.
I had no problem selling it since the game felt samey after a bit and this was mostly due to, for me, the villagers being so powerful. It made decisions easy when selecting villagers. Someone took that villagers? Oh well there's that next awesome villagers.... Then I got my islebound kickstarter!
Every character doubles as an a&b villager, that's 22 new villagers and most of which offer a bonus point per a particular good.
This caused me to grab a retail a&b again and no game has felt the same since. I ignore the suggested rules and just mix all the villagers up. If the $2 villager remains after a round I bump that villager and slide and refill. There is now so many interesting choices in the recruiting aspect of the game! Do I grab the good explorer of the one that's going to give me a point each for these 3 mushrooms I have?
Long story short.... Islebound to me is the most important expansion out right now for replay ability by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nickel Eye
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip on Islebound. I had looked at it a bit in it's own right, but finding out it adds so much to Above and Below is a huge plus. Obviously I missed the KS on that one but it looks like the only thing I would miss that isn't purely cosmetic will be released in a future expansion if I want it.

On our recommendation I think I'll pick up Above and Below and Islebound when they come in stock. That will give me months with them to see if I still want the added KS stuff by the time it arrives. If I don;t want it by May I'm sure I will be able to at leas recoup my cost on it on the secondary market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Australia
Greenmount
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I found the upgraded wooden resource tokens a pain to use, and the carboard chits that come in the standard game much easier to use, and better looking. That is just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.