Subject: Customs for Dummies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Someone should write a book I have been reading threads for weeks. Love this game. But it appears that unless you know photoshop, you are out of luck? The question is - it seems like with printerstudio, there should be a way for noobs or tecno dummies like myself to follow a certain list of instructions laid out by one of you so that we can make an order? for the most popular customs, that is. I would not know what settings to use in printerstudio, how to upload the files without photoshop, etc.
Am I missing something? thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Holland
msg tools
It would be useful to know how to use photoshop, but I generally just use google to find pics to fit, as well as using the legendedit to make the actual card, and generally I think my cards are at least passable haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Foster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
cad37 wrote:
Someone should write a book I have been reading threads for weeks. Love this game. But it appears that unless you know photoshop, you are out of luck? The question is - it seems like with printerstudio, there should be a way for noobs or tecno dummies like myself to follow a certain list of instructions laid out by one of you so that we can make an order? for the most popular customs, that is. I would not know what settings to use in printerstudio, how to upload the files without photoshop, etc.
Am I missing something? thanks!

I wrote legedit/legenedit for folks like yourself. Well, not true. I wrote it for me because I got bored of the overheads of doing all customs in gimp but saw a few people liked to post customs in text format but didn't have the abilities to pretty them up. I slapped together a quick front end and shared it here for others.

I don't get the time to keep it as up to date as I'd like (other people are welcome to contribute on github if they like) but its good up to civil war I think. Plus I wrote a whole custom template engine for it so people can knock there own templates together and share them with the community.

I also added a tools menu which basically does what you asked for. The bleeder takes an external directory and processes every image, resizing it and adding bleed. The fancy bleed option tries to expand in a way so the card face is filled out and you dont just get stark white/black lines where the cuts are misaligned.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1366906/legedit-legendary-c...

The community at large are pretty helpful with debugging and answering questions although I try to respond myself generally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
your work is legendary. no pun intended !!
If we wanted to make our own customs, we could try, but
But for people that just want to order customs, unless they have coding or advanced computer skills, we are out of luck -- there are dozens of options at printer studio and the like - plus even getting the images from the links provided, to photoshop (which is hard to get) to the 3rd party ordering site; is challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmbmb
I started out copying the images found here and placing them in word documents. Took those to kinkos. Spent hours (HOURs) cutting them out and rounding corners.

Got Gimp and improved my skills. Found a script which sized everything for printer studio. Could make a deck of 54 cards found here into a printable deck in about 15 minutes.

Got faster, got more efficient. Can now do 16 separate 54 card decks in about 2 hours (not counting processor time, when I can be AFK).

I would have killed for legedit when I started. Now, I'm so quick in Photoshop/Gimp, there is no difference.I started where you are. I now have over 5000 odd cards. Probably more. Just took a little patience, time, and a willingness to try.

You aren't out of luck, it sounds like you want someone to do it for you.

Learn, practice, try, fail, try again, succeed, write your own tutorial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Burned me.
OK so legedit - is that a photoshop tool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmbmb
Legedit is a completely stand alone, free, program designed to create cards.

These is also, I believe a standalone program that works in conjunction to add appropriate bleed to cards to ensure the best possible printed result.

We are more than happy to help and answer questions, but we won't do it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understood you the first time chief.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Matt - if you had an image from someone else here you wanted to use - I actually have compiled a whole set of images of the customs I like. Would you (1) save the images as image files (2) upload each into photoshop or gimp to do the bleed, etc (3) then paste the modified images into the printer studio site

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Foster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'd save them all in one folder, open legedit, select tools > bleeder then use the default settings. This should create a resized directory inside that folder with resized cards with bleed added ready for printer studio.

Matt is right, it was two separate tools. I had the code for the bleeder locally but shared it after a few people requested help like you. I since rolled it up into legedit so it was all in one place. You can probably find the original if you search the forum for psresizer but it's just the same code that's in legedit now.

Or use gimp scripts. Or word. Or PowerPoint. It's a case of use what you're comfortable with to match the outcome you want.

For the few I've home printed I just wrote a tool that takes a directory of images and puts them 9 per page in the same size then printed the sheets that tool gave me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Karl !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmbmb
I run a seven folder workflow for customs from the geek.

1 Bulk images
2 Needs Bleed
3 Has Bleed
4 Ready to Print
5 Printed - Needs Dividers
6 Divider Images
7 Completed, Unprinted Dividers

Broken down:

1 I use this folder as a dumping place for all images I find that I want.
Quote:

Have Firefox
Install download them all
Quote the post with images
Copy all image code you want
Paste in text file
Lather rinse repeat until you have all image codes you want
Replace the ] in the code with original]
Preview
Right click, select download them all
Profit!

2 This folder is where I place all images that don't have bleed, usually my images or any from people who don't use Legedit. I run all of these images through a photoshop/gimp script to add bleed

3 This folder is where I place all images that already have bleed.

(Both 2 and 3 are further broken down by card type, then by team)

4 This folder is broken down into number folders. Each folder will hold 54 files. Every card is represented. Meaning all 10 henchmen have there own numbered image.

5 Once printed, I delete all the extraneous images (9 per henchmen, etc). This folder is where I look to see what images I need for my SDNM dividers.

6 This folder store all the divider images that need added to my divider templates

7 once I complete my dividers, they go here for printing.

After cards are received and Dividers are printed, I move cards to a printed cards folder, broken down by type. This way I can reference all of the cards digitally for duplicates and divider reference. The printed dividers go in another folder in case I ever need to make changes (I already had vision, but then he became official, so I updated his divider accordingly.)

Folder 1 is empty at all times except when I download. 2 & 3 are full until printed. 4 is empty until cow cow/arts of has a sale. 5-7 is full until I print the dividers. I don't send new cards to print until I have dividers printed for all current cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I used this technique. Pretty easy !! now I just need better source material. I am using files from here, saved with a right click from the page itself. Right click save for instance :

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/920898/connors-custom-cards

used this AIM henchman

but it looks like the cards are crooked.

here is my final version from legedit ... good ?

https://s10.postimg.org/9cepqqajt/AIM_Hench.jpg

fostorial wrote:
I'd save them all in one folder, open legedit, select tools > bleeder then use the default settings. This should create a resized directory inside that folder with resized cards with bleed added ready for printer studio.

Matt is right, it was two separate tools. I had the code for the bleeder locally but shared it after a few people requested help like you. I since rolled it up into legedit so it was all in one place. You can probably find the original if you search the forum for psresizer but it's just the same code that's in legedit now.

Or use gimp scripts. Or word. Or PowerPoint. It's a case of use what you're comfortable with to match the outcome you want.

For the few I've home printed I just wrote a tool that takes a directory of images and puts them 9 per page in the same size then printed the sheets that tool gave me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is a very crooked looking Vision

https://s10.postimg.org/kq6una5rd/Vision_C2.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also last question, where is the back side of the card located on legedit? is it a tool ? or is there a file I need to download to send to printer studio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a card back floating around here somewhere. If I run across, I'll link.

As for sending to printerstudio (artscow, cowcow), that needs to all be done by hand. This is where I recommend 54 image folders. Upload each folder as its own album. Then autofill each deck. If there is a problem, you only need to look through 54 images instead of 54X.

If you find a simplier, automated way, please share! this is the slowest part for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Matt. I am doing that one by one at printer studio. Leg edit worked good. As far as getting the image to use for leg-edit. I assume there is no better way then right click save from the posted image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Have Firefox
Install download them all
Quote the post with images
Copy all image code you want
Paste in text file
Lather rinse repeat until you have all image codes you want
Replace the ] in the code with original]
Preview
Right click, select download them all
Profit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MAtt T Thanks ! is that better than right click save as .jpg ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have 108 loaded to go !! thanks for your help .. just need the card back now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
best card back file ?

mbmbmbmb

Theorel wrote:

I think my custom base-game masterminds got overlooked at some point.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1365572/harder-base-game-ma...

As for how to print, there are several threads out there, I don't know that any is better than another (from skimming them) here's a few:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1113735/need-help-printing-...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1481122/help-printing-custo...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1414075/how-print-custom-ca...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/995480/printing-cards-what-...

Short Version:
-some people just print them out at home and slide them into the front of a sleeve with a blank card or similar.
-Some people print them out at home on 110lb cardstock.
-Other people use Artscow or PrinterStudio or similar.

If you want to use PrinterStudio you'll have to make sure the image is the right size. Mine above are properly sized for PrinterStudio (I printed them from there using essentially those images), other people's cards may need resized. When you try to upload them you can see where the cut-off is and determine.
Some of the threads above talk about resizing, here's a thread about it specifically.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1441246/re-sizing-images-pr...

For the card-back I just used this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/113120/hi-rez-scan-legend...
It was indistinguishable for me in clear sleeves.
Use 63x88mm card size. I used the cheapest finishing option, but some others have used the linen finish.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cade c
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Matt or anyone -- should I run this card back image through the legedit software to include the bleed before using it on my cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't need too, I don't think I ever did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Foster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I agree with Matt. I've never bothered but to be fair last time I did it I did get a few where the back was misaligned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.