5 Posts

Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China» Forums » General

Subject: What do others think of this so far? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mokey D Luffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never had any other Legendary games, but the theme for this one made me decide to finally give one a shot.

I was playing as two players by myself to try and get the rules and gameflow down, and I have to admit I was pretty disappointed. I didn't feel like I was making tough decisions on my turns, simply laying down cards and resolving their effects. Sure, every once in a while I had to make sure I did them in a certain order, or I had a reaction to a crazy monster coming out, but mostly the gameplay felt kind of bland. Once I felt that I had the play down, I just packed it up.

That is a bad start for a new game.

Will I enjoy this more by adding more players? I don't know. From playing it tonight, I don't know what the draw is for this series of games, unless it is mainly theme.

What do the rest of you think? What is it that you like about the Legendary line. What is it that I am missing? I kind of feel that this is just not for me, but I hate to give up on it so quickly, especially with a Buffy version in the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McManus
United States
Saraland
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this version yet but after playing Legendary Marvel, I can see where it my seem bland. Legendary really took off for me once I was able to buy expansions, with expansions it added more variety and more game play mechanics that really helped to develop the game and each expansion has added new things that make it better and add to the replay ability.

I don't know if there are expansions planned for this version or if you can combine it wi Marvel or with Buffy when it comes out but I would think that it by itself wouldn't make for much replay ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Waits
United States
Elizabethtown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jam37wcc wrote:
I don't know if there are expansions planned for this version or if you can combine it wi Marvel or with Buffy when it comes out but I would think that it by itself wouldn't make for much replay ability.

You can combine it with Marvel, and I think there are some great cards in Secret Wars Vol 2 and Dark City that fit the theme pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game does seem even more geared to multiple players instead of solo, although I still had a lot of fun with my solo game tonight.

Since the vanilla Legendary games are semi-cooperative (meaning you're working together, but still trying to get the best score while doing so), I find that with other players, there's more of a competition for cards to buy or fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brenycz
msg tools
mb
I think theme is a huge part of it, I have played legendary encounters Alien and really enjoyed it for the way it captures those movies. Superheroes aren't really my thing so I'm not into base legendary, but I did pick up firefly and this one. I'm curious to see how well it will play despite not being part of the Encounters line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.