Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I haven't put up one of these in quite some time. Mea culpa. Truthfully, I've realized there's not a whole lot of demand for session reports, and I can understand why, but the urge has struck again, most likely in response to the recent release of the Mayfair edition of the game. I've played the new version a number of times now, and it's a perfectly fine edition—an improvement in some respects and an irritation in others—but that's a topic for other threads. Mostly I'm a little put out that now I'm going to have to change various abbreviations and references in any reports I produce henceforth. Sigh. Needless to say, this will be my last report (most likely anyway) utilizing the “old” terminology. Can't go confusing any new converts to the game...except this one last time.

This game took place several months ago. Standard deal 10, pare down to 7 draft, with a typical Ugoi mix of card sets. Skyp got the honors...

Round One/MIMI
Skyp – Occ/Small-Scale Farmer
Charles – Occ(-1f)/Headmaster°
Ron – Rsf
Geoff – 2C(2)
Skyp – 1G
Charles – 3W(3)
Ron – SP + Bowler Hat (-1R)
Geoff – MIMI/Fp2 (-2C)

Skyp opens the proceedings with a nice variable wood Ock that he'll end up pushing at least a Round too far, and Charles follows up with a G-Decker that will prove to be a place-winner far down the line. Ron then (very uncharacteristically*) goes thrifting and I need no further urging; I swipe the clay. Skyp nabs a grain, for which he presumably has plans, Charles gathers cords, and Ron claims the button to activate a Minor claim over fishing. I quietly buy my cookery. Cornerstones have been set.

*Ron will focus on an early cookery with great predictability. Except this time.

Current Status
Charles – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 3W, 1 Ock
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 1 MjImp
Ron – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 4f, 1S, 1 MnImp
Skyp – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 1G, 1 Ock

Round Two/Sheep Skyp – 1W
Ron – 2W(4)
Geoff – 1R(2)
Skyp – 2C(2)
Charles – Rsf
Ron – 3W(3)
Geoff – Occ°/Berry Picker
Skyp – 1C(2)
Charles – PF

The Deuce is comprised almost entirely of resource gathering, a pattern interrupted only by my first Ock and Charles plowing an early field. Utterly unremarkable other than perhaps Skyp's inefficiency lading bricks.

Current Status
Charles – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 3W/1R/1S, 1PF, 1 Ock
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 2R, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp
Ron – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 4f, 7W/1S, 1 MnImp
Skyp – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 1W/4C, 1G, 1 Ock

Round Three/Fences Skyp - 1W
Ron – Rsf
Geoff – 1W(3) +1f
Skyp – SP + Cast-Iron Oven (-3C)
Charles – Occ°/Pieceworker
Ron – 2C(2)
Geoff – 3W(3) +1f
Skyp – Occ(-1f)/Resource Collector (1W/1R/1S/1C> )
Charles – 1G +1G -1f

Ron thrifts again, I press my Ock into immediate service, and Skyp reveals the intent of his clay hoarding.* Charles pops a much-maligned base game Ock, Ron stumbles with a weak clay heist,** and I double up on lumber. Skyp plays his second Ock,*** and Charles puts Pieceworker to use. I carefully note that I am the only player capable of expansion at this point.

*Had he opted to simply pick up the hearth, only Ceres knows how things might have gone.

**He may be hoping I'll waste time on a cookery upgrade, leaving the cheap fireplace to him. He will be disappointed.

***Inexplicably demurring the use of his new oven. Why play the thing? Note also he refrained from applying Headmaster.

Current Status
Charles – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 3W/1R/1S, 2G, 1PF, 2 Ock
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 5f, 6W/2R, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp
Ron – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 5f, 7W/2C/1R/2S, 1 MnImp
Skyp – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 2W/1C, 1G, 2 Ock, 1 MnImp

Round Four/Sow & Bake Skyp – 2W
Skyp – TP(4f)
Charles – PF
Ron – 2W(4)
Geoff – 3W(3) +1f
Skyp – Occ(-1f)/Tinkerer°
Charles – S&B (2Gf)
Ron – SP + Barber Shop (6VP -3W/1R)
Geoff – 1R(2)

After collecting the bonus lumber, Skyp wisely restocks his larder, while Charles doubles up on fields, and Ron bypasses thrifting* in favor of hogging more wood. I follow suit, knowing that I still hold the expansion whip. Skyp activates yet another Ock, one that may well have been his best choice in the first place.** Charles farms, Ron retakes the button to lock in some hefty bonus points,*** and I can find no reason not to double up on reed. Charles sloughs his harvested grain, while the rest of us feed normally. I have my fingers crossed for early Family Growth.

*And the stacked reed for that matter, a choice that would have still enabled his second play and left him in perfect position to potentially climb atop the growth queue.

**Again spurning Headmaster. Meanwhile, I don't think Skyp fully understood the power of unleashing a private “thrift shop” at the beginning of the game.

***Constant Reader may or may not agree with me that Ron may have been better served by pursuing growth and letting one of those bonus points slide.

Current Status
Charles – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 3W/1R/1S, 2PF(4g), 2 Ock
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 9W/4R, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp
Ron – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 8W/2C/2S, 2 MnImp
Skyp – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 4W/1C, 1G, 3 Ock, 1 MnImp

Round Five/Renovation + MIMI Skyp – 1W/1R
Ron – 2C(4)
Geoff – SP + Sawhorse (-2W)
Skyp – Tinkerer (1W/1C/1R/1S)
Charles – 1C(3)
Ron – MIMI/Fp3 (-3C)
Geoff – BR(1) + (1s) + 1s (-7W/2R)
Skyp – 1G
Charles – Rsf

So, no growth; that's the way that domino falls. Ron triples his clay holdings, I swipe the button, forking over the down payment for fencing relief, and Skyp visits his Tinkerer.* Charles forces Ron's hand with a clay heist, Ron promptly responds by snagging the distaff fireplace, and I knock out a room along with breeding stables. Skyp doubles up on grain, and Charles thrifts, still working toward that room.

*Sadly, the only time he will do so.

Current Status
Charles – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 3W/3C/2R/2S, 2PF(4g), 2 Ock
Geoff – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 2R, 2s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Ron – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 8W/3C/2S, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp
Skyp – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 6W/2C/2R/1S, 2G, 3 Ock, 1 MnImp

Round Six/Stone Skyp – 1W/1S
Geoff – Sheep(5)burn2
Skyp – 3W(6)
Charles – 1G + 1G -1f
Ron – 1R(2)
Geoff – 2W(4) +1f
Skyp – Rsf
Charles – MIMI/Clay Oven (5f -3C/1S/1G)
Ron – SP + Jenever Distillery (-3C/1S) (>3W)

Again, FG fails to materialize; I herd woolies to their destiny.* Skyp hauls in the lumber, risking his place in the growth queue. Charles invests in more grain, Ron claims essential reed, and I happily restock timber, secure in the guarantee of first growth. Skyp now rashly abdicates his position in the growth queue to go thrifting.** After Charles fires up an oven, Ron wastes no time claiming the button and activating a pricey, though rewarding, food engine.***

*Not a chance in the world is a 6Wood worth letting Ron play Bo-Peep.

**He has his eye on the Stone Oven, a redundancy not worth the sacrifice of growth.

***And it doesn't hurt that he's secured second place in the growth queue.

Current Status
Charles – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 5f, 3W/2R/1S, 1G, 2PF(4g), 2 Ock, 1 MjImp
Geoff – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 7f, 4W/2R, 3sh, 2s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Ron – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 5W/2R/1S, 1 MjImp/3 MnImp(3W)
Skyp – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 13W/2C/3R/3S, 2G, 3 Ock, 1 MnImp

Round Seven/FG + MI Skyp – 1W/1C
Ron – BR(1) + x (-5W/2R)
Geoff – FG + Extra Effort/Fp2>CH4 -1f >
Skyp – Fish(7f -1f > r.)
Charles – 1W(4 +1) -1f
Ron – 2C(4)
Geoff – 3W(3) +1f
Skyp – SP + Threshing Machine Plow (-1W)
Charles – Rsf

Growth at last! Ron naturally presses the issue, and I promptly hire on the first new worker of the game while using a handy G-Decker to upgrade my cookery. Skyp clears the pond, giving Ron's Bowler Hat its first payoff (yay!), and Charles claims the lumber, coughing for pricey mahogany. Ron hauls clay for later use,* I clear timber, and Skyp retakes the button to play a cheap, though limited, plow. Charles thrifts again, lacking much else better to do. I burn off a replaceable lamb at harvest, Ron works his distillery, and we move into the midgame.

*I'm almost surprised he didn't hog the wood.

Current Status
Charles – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 8W/3R/2S, 3G, 2PF(2g), 2 Ock, 1 MjImp
Geoff – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 4f, 7W/2R, 3sh, 2s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Ron – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 4C/1S, 1 MjImp/3 MnImp(3W)
Skyp – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 13W/3C/3R/3S, 2G, 3 Ock, 2 MnImp

Round Eight/Vegetables Skyp – 1W
Skyp – BR(1) + 2s (-9W/2R)
Charles – SP + Baker's Kitchen (10f -2S/2G)
Ron – FG + Five Rings (-1S)
Geoff – 1S(3)
Skyp – 2W(4)
Charles – 1V +1V -2f
Ron – 3W(3)
Geoff – MIMI/Well (5f> -1W/3S)
Geoff – Rsf

Skyp finally gets a room built,* Charles swipes the initiative to fire up his food engine full blast, and Ron summarily hires on, popping an Improvement which will prove sadly inutile. I snag the rocks, Skyp hogs wood, Charles continues his vegan ways, and Ron spikes the potential 6Wood.** I then claim the Well and hit up the five-and-dime. Onward!

*Along with a pair of stables he'll pretty much ignore.

**With good reason, since his eye is on wooly futures and he's predictably averse to anyone else getting stacked cords.

Current Status
Charles – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 9f, 8W/3R/2S, 1G/2V, 2PF(2g), 2 Ock, 1 MnImp
Geoff – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 5f, 6W/3R/1S, 3sh, 2s, 1 Ock, 2 MjImp/1 MnImp
Ron – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 1f, 3W/4C, 1 MjImp/4 MnImp(3W)
Skyp – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 9W/3C/1R/3S, 2G, 2s, 3 Ock, 2 MnImp

Round Nine/Boar Geoff – 1f
Charles – BR(1) + x
Ron – Sheep(3)burn2
Geoff – 1C(4)
Skyp – FG + Extra Effort/Stone Oven (4f-1C/3S/1G) -1f >
Charles – SP + Beanfield
Ron – 1R(3)
Geoff – 2C(4)
Skyp – PF + 2PF
Ron – 3W(3)
Geoff – Ren>C (-3C/1R) + Janneken Pis (-1S)

Charles keeps the growth merry-go-round running, then steps on the button for safety's sake, while Skyp boosts his labor force and fires up the remaining oven,* then puts his plow to task. Meanwhile, Ron silences the lambs** and gathers more building resources, while I clear the board's clay, renovate, and pop an oddball Imp that I'll never find reason to use. Harvest routine is identical to that of the last Stage: I chow on an immortal ovine and Ron leans on his distillery.

*We'll not ask why he chose to operate it at only half capacity, okay?

**Sorry. Surely it's been a while since you heard that groaner.

Current Status
Charles – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 5f, 3W/1R/2S, 3G/2V, 2PF, 2 Ock, 2 MnImp
Geoff – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 2f, 6W/5C/2R, 3sh, 2s, 1 Ock, 2 MjImp/2 MnImp
Ron – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 2f, 6W/4C/3R, 1sh, 1 MjImp/4 MnImp(3W)
Skyp – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 1f, 9W/2C/1R, 1G, 3PF, 2s, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp

Round Ten/Stone Geoff – 1f
Charles – 2W(4+1) -1f
Ron – Occ°/Clay Plasterer
Geoff – BR(1) + x (-5C/2R)
Skyp – 3W(3)
Charles – FG + Endive Field (1V)
Ron – 1W(3)
Geoff – Boar(2)burn2sh
Skyp – TP(6f)
Ron – Ren>C + Fp3>CH5 (-1C/1R)
Geoff – Fences(5+2) (-5W)
Skyp – 1G

Unhurried, Charles pieces together cordage and finally hires on, clearing another subsidiary field. Ron plays a key Ock,* hauls a few sticks, and then executes a classic double upgrade. Meanwhile, I knock out another room, shift my husbandry efforts from lamb to pork, and enclose both my stables.** Skyp closes out his midgame with some lumber, a passel of food, and more grain. The retrospective action count: Charles – 20, Skyp – 21, Ron – 22, and Geoff – 23. Charles' farm looks forlorn and empty, belying his strong food engine. Skyp's land has got that weird central field array and a few scattered stables, Ron's plot is looking as empty as Charles' place, and my spread's pretty thin as well, despite those two capacious pastures next to a wide clay domicile. The game's final Act will tell the tale, of course...

*Essentially, a convenient 4Clay

**I knew there was no chance of being allowed to fence and then corral the piggies. No way, Jose.

Current Status
Charles – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 4f, 8W/1R/2S, 3G/3V, 2PF, 2 Ock, 3 MnImp
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 7f, 1W, 1sh/2b, 2s, 2(1x1)p, 1 Ock, 2 MjImp/2 MnImp
Ron – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 2f, 9W/3C/2R, 1sh, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/4 MnImp(3W)
Skyp – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 7f, 12W/2C/1R, 2G, 3PF, 2s, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp

Round Eleven/Cattle Geoff – 1f
Charles – S&B (1Gf/3Vf +10f -2G)
Ron – BR(1) + 2s (-4W/3C/2R)
Geoff – FG + x
Skyp – 2C(4)
Charles – 3W(3+1) -1f
Ron – 1S(3)
Geoff – PF
Skyp – Ren>C (-3C/1R) + Farmers Market> (1V -2f)
Charles – Fences(12) (-12W)
Ron – Rsf
Geoff – 1V
Skyp – Fish(5-1>r.)

Charles farms with a vengeance, grabs final cords, and fences big. Meantime, Ron puts up another room and amasses goods for future renovation, while I counter with obvious growth and initial efforts to cancel negatives. Skyp effects his own upgrades and scavenges food.* Ron distills his way into the black, my piggies procreate, and the world moves on; time for the endgame.

*Ron's Bowler Hat has sadly proven itself to be little more than a button-stealing excuse.

Current Status
Charles – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 7f, 1R/2S, 1G/3V, 2PF(2g/1v), 1(3x3)p, 2 Ock, 3 MnImp(2v)
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 1f, 1W, 1V, 1sh/3b, 2s, 1PF, 2(1x1)p, 1 Ock, 2 MjImp/2 MnImp
Ron – 4Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 1f, 5W/1R/4S, 1sh, 2s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/4 MnImp(3W)
Skyp – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 3f, 12W/3C, 2G/1V, 3PF, 2s, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp

Round Twelve/Plow & Sow Geoff – 1f
Charles – Occ°/Military Leader
Ron – 2W(4)
Geoff – P&S (PF + 1Vf)
Skyp – S&B (1Gf/1Vf +4f -1G)
Charles – Cattle(2)
Ron – 1S(3)
Geoff – 3W(3) +1f
Skyp – SP + Horse
Charles – Boar(2)1run
Ron – FG + x
Geoff – PF
Skyp – Fences(9) (-9W)
Geoff – Sheep(3)

Charles now pins his hopes and dreams on a most impressive Belgium-Decker,* following up with the best final points he can manage. Ron gathers critical resources and then hires on his fourth worker. I scramble for whatever's left to me, while Skyp farms, claims the button, and fences the east forty.** It's the Three Stooges show from here on out.

*Holiday House on steroids!

**Not acres, however. I'm thinking maybe forty square yards.

Current Status
Charles – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 7f, 1R/2S, 1G/3V, 1b/2c, 2PF(2g/1v), 1(3x3)p, 3 Ock, 3 MnImp(2v)
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 3f, 4W, 4sh/3b, 2s, 3PF(2v), 2(1x1)p, 1 Ock, 2 MjImp/2 MnImp
Ron – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 1f, 9W/1R/7S, 1sh, 2s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/4 MnImp(3W)
Skyp – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 7f, 3W/3C, 3PF(3g/2v), 2s, 1(2x1)1(1x1)p, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/3 MnImp

Round Thirteen/FG w/o Geoff – 1f
Skyp – 1C(4)
Ron – FG w/o
Geoff – 3W(3) +1f
Skyp – Occ(-1f)/Carrot Cake Baker
Ron – 1W(3)
Geoff – P&S (PF)
Skyp – 1R(4)
Ron – Cattle(1)burn1
Geoff – 1S(2)
Ron – 1V
Geoff - RSf

At this point, Skyp's attentions appear to have wandered;* he opts for clay over growth, which makes Ron a happy farmer. I claim lumber, Skyp ocks, and Ron clears another stand. I farm, Skyp swipes the reed,** Ron scrambles for food, then a veggie, while I foolishly try to gather up goods for renovation. Ron sacrifices his wooly at harvest; I burn off reincarnating animals. The end is nigh.

*They are, perhaps, off in search of his good sense.

**One must presume he plans to build another room. One will be disappointed.

Current Status
Charles – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 7f, 1R/2S, 1G/3V, 1b/2c, 2PF(2g/1v), 1(3x3)p, 3 Ock, 3 MnImp(2v)
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 3f, 7W/1R/3S, 1V, 4sh/3b, 2s, 4PF(1v), 2(1x1)p, 1 Ock, 2 MjImp/2 MnImp
Ron – 4Clay Rooms, 5 Peeps, 1f, 12W/1R/7S, 1V, 2s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/4 MnImp(3W)
Skyp – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 3W/7C/4R, 1G/1V, 3PF(2g/1v), 2s, 1(2x1)1(1x1)p, 4 Ock, 1 MjImp/3 MnImp

Round Fourteen/Renovation + Fences
Skyp – 2W(4)
Ron – Ren>S + Fences(15) (-15W/1R/4S)
Geoff – Fences(5+3) (-5W)
Skyp – MIMI/Fp2 (-2C)
Ron – Boar(2)
Geoff – FG w/o
Skyp – P&S (PF + 1Gf/1Vf)
Ron – Sheep(2)
Geoff – Cattle(1)
Ron – 1G
Geoff – PF
Ron - TP(4f)

Skyp's game finally goes off the cliff with a near-useless timber heist, Ron does the obvious,* and I quickly finish my own fencing. Chastened, Skyp buys an essential cookery.** Ron cancels one animal negative and then another, as I hire on and Skyp closes out with some desperate farming. Ron and I collect final points and food; only harvest and scoring remain. I dine on slaughtered lamb, Ron butchers half his livestock, and Skyp gets sole use of his endgame Ock. Tally ho, pardon the expression!

*Note that he retrieves the 3Wood from his Distillery

**Otherwise, his Carrot Cake Baker is helpless. No cookee, no bakee.

Current Status
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 5 Peeps, 0f, 2W/1R/3S, 2V, 1sh/4b/1c, 2s, 5PF, 2(2x1)2(1x1)p, 1 Ock, 2 MjImp/2 MnImp
Ron – 4Stone Rooms, 5 Peeps, 0f, 3S, 1G/1V, 1sh/1b, 2s, 1(3x2)1(3x1)p, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/4 MnImp
Skyp – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 7W/5C/4R, 1G/1V, 4PF(3g/1v), 2s, 1(2x1)1(1x1)p, 4 Ock, 2 MjImp/3 MnImp

Final Score (Ocks Played, Minors/Majors Played)(Wood taken/bonus)(Rounds as SP)(Total Primary(Special) Actions)(PPA*)(Food Spent)
Primary Actions are those first taken when a player claims a space with a family member. In sessions of Farmers on the Moor, special actions are counted as Primary actions, with their subtotal indicated in parentheses. * - Points per Primary Action.

Geoff – 40 (1 Occ, 2^/2)(22/5)(1)(38)(1.053)(40) ^ both played Extra Effort
Charles – 36 (3 Occ, 1”/3)(14/3)(4)(26)(1.385)(24) “Major replaced by upgrade Minor
Ron – 35 (1 Occ, 4/1)(27/0)(4)(37)(0.946)(39)
Skyp – 23 (4 Occ, 5^°/2)(17/9)(5)(33)(0.697)(35) ° played Farmers Market

Player Fields Pastures Grain Veg Sheep Boar Cattle Unused Stables House Peeps Pts Bonus
Geoff 5(4) 4(4) 0(-1) 2(2) 1(1) 4(2) 1(1) 0(0) 2(2) 4C(4) 5(15) (6) (0)
Charles 2(1) 1(1) 3(1) 6(4) 0(-1) 1(1) 2(2) 1(-1) 0(0) 3W(0) 3(9) (5) (14)
Ron 0(-1) 2(2) 1(1) 1(1) 1(1) 1(1) 0(-1) 2(-2) 2(2) 4S(8) 5(15) (2) (6)
Skyp 4(3) 2(2) 4(2) 2(2) 0(-1) 0(-1) 0(-1) 4(-4) 1(1) 3C(3) 3(9) (6) (2)

Bits & Pieces
Skyp, bless him, even after dozens of games, still remains lukewarm about competitive growth, and Agricola only rarely forgives that attitude. His lead Ock wasn't bad, but he pushed it too far, letting pursuit of a mediocre food engine divert him from expansion. I suspect he'd have done better by opening with Tinkerer and then flogging it throughout the first half of the game, while expanding at first opportunity.

Ron played a solid game, as he so often does, taking advantage of every misstep by his opponents. One might argue he dillydallied pursuing growth, lucking out courtesy of Skyp's foot-dragging, but at the same time he managed to achieve a tolerable PPA, dominated wood collecting, and would have bagged second if not for Charles's eleventh-hour Ock. It's almost a shame his Bowler Hat proved itself so weak.

It was fun to see Charles's strategy pay off with a Place position squeaker. If he'd somehow managed earlier growth, he might have even been able to secure the Win. At any rate, I will not be surprised to learn that Military Leader won't be part of the eventual card expansion set for the Mayfair iteration of the game.

As ever, thanks for reading, and I hope something useful was gleaned. All editing and transcription errors are mine, of course. Many thanks and all due respect to the folks at play-agricola.com for all the handy card links. Next report: well, I have no idea. If there's anything Constant Reader might like to peruse, let me know. Meanwhile, happy gaming to all; may your farms always be fulsome and your harvests bountiful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Karnuth
United States
Fleming Island
Fl
flag msg tools
badge
Up, down, up
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray, he's back! I love reading these! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing these again. I have missed reading them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always a great read and an eclectic mix of players to enhance the experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, gents! You folks make it worth the effort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not even read it yet and I am excited.. good to see you back!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat read. It would've been better if I'd been there

Curious to her your thoughts on the new edition's Occs and Minors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Potter
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES! Finally another session report from Geoff! I don't know why you think there's no appetite for these things. Yours always read as a great story, and I'm pretty sure my playing has gotten better from reading these.

Sidenote: Screw the new edition. Why bother changing all the notation in these reports when you've got such a good system down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose there's something to be said for that. I'm realizing that the shift in terminology will actually increase the requisite typing, so it'd be a better idea just to add a translation key to the boilerplate. Say, thanks for the encouragement! laugh

One of these days, Jimmy, one of these days! One thing I've noticed in the handful of revision games I've played is that there seem to be fewer Minors that require multiple Ocks to play, no real surprise. Also next to none that don't allow immediate application. I think eventually I may have to write up a brief review of the new version; I'll be sure to cover the card mix when I do.

Again, thanks to all for the kind words!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed these write-ups! Thanks for posting another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Leung
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We live vicariously through the exploits of the ugoi. Thank you sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for another great read.

One important question; is it pronounced skip or skype (or something I haven't even imagined)?

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is, indeed, pronounced "skip," and thank you for asking. And you're welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.