Subject: Game changers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kate Finch
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things that Joel has tried to do with the game design is to make a game that is flexible, so we have theme decks to add flavour, for example. But when it comes down to it, there can be some Take That in a game of Unfair, and we know that really isn't to the taste of everyone out there which is completely understandable. I'm not a fan of having my roller coaster blown up either, especially if I'm feeling a little fragile. So Joel introduced the optional Game Changer cards.

The first Game Changer was World Peace, and it removes the ability to play attacking events on other players.

Then we introduced the First Date which shortens the game to 6 rounds, from the usual 8. You still get 4 friendly Funfair City Event rounds, and only have to deal with 2 Unfair City Event rounds, so there's a little less game-inflicted Take That as well. It removes the Super Attractions and Difficult and Insane blueprints too so you can focus on the core game first - building a theme park, matching it to relatively easy blueprints and maybe messing with each other a little or not, as you prefer.

We also came up with the Grand Opening card. This allows you a Showcase attraction in your park from the start of the game, but *plot twist* another player will select it for you from your two Showcase cards.

We have plans for other Game Changers with future expansions, but these three form part of the core game and are available as part of the PnP also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Lloyd
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
...as in my brain fails me at times.
badge
"I like turtles"
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Unfair at Gencon and was a bit apprehensive when we decided to use the First Date game changer as I was afraid it was going to cripple the game play or dumb it down but found it a refreshing first game. We then played with the showcase attractions as mentioned above and found the game to have a different but fun feel. I applaud the effort put into the design for the gameplay to be tailored for the user experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Taylor
msg tools
Interesting.

I had actually wondered whether the game could be played without the mid game switch from Fun to Un/fair or with an adjustment so it occurred after round 5 or six, making the game itself (if not your opponents) a little less aggressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScalpHell
France
Lestrem
Hauts de France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very Nice indeed.
I think my wife and me will try another idea:
The first 4 round we can't "attack" others players.
The last 4 rounds, no restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
Matwt73 wrote:
I had actually wondered whether the game could be played without the mid game switch from Fun to Un/fair or with an adjustment so it occurred after round 5 or six, making the game itself (if not your opponents) a little less aggressive.

The only difficulty with such a rule is that there's only 3 Funfair cards in each theme pack, so for a 2-player game, there's not enough cards for a full 8 rounds. 6/2 split would work though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
Matwt73 wrote:

The only difficulty with such a rule is that there's only 3 Funfair cards in each theme pack, so for a 2-player game, there's not enough cards for a full 8 rounds. 6/2 split would work though.

So you could have 2 Fair rounds and then 6 Unfair rounds... (Ouch)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Befefig wrote:

Kim has suggested one with all Unfair cards, so 2/6 might be the closest we get, along with some other changes encouraging attacking. Scorched Earth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Taylor
msg tools
joelfinch wrote:
Befefig wrote:

Kim has suggested one with all Unfair cards, so 2/6 might be the closest we get, along with some other changes encouraging attacking. Scorched Earth...

Or you add a third player (theme deck) which would I assume add another three of each and allow you to go all in if you were that way inclined.

I am also toying with experimenting with a 'political football' variant, where you have 4 of each but shuffle them. The different backs would let you know if what was coming next was good or bad but not anything after that.

NB- I will of course spend the first dozen or so games after I get my own copy playing the game as written It is too well designed to need anyone messing with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Clark
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would make the Fortune Teller a more interesting card in the early game if the city cards were shuffled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Sapage
Portugal
Queluz
flag msg tools
I would love to see a game changer regarding panoramas. Something like:

At The End Of The Game:
While scoring the size of the attractions, add one more icon to all the attractions that forms a panorama with 2 or more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are there any plans for a shorter mode that still has the full rules (ie, 3 funfair and 3 unfair rounds with none of the First Date restrictions).

The only thing I can think of is all of the Showcase cards usually do something once per round so less rounds means they're less useful. Maybe a 5 coin discount or rebate for them? Or leave them alone? I'm not sure which would be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The difficulty with including the Showcase cards is they are tuned for an 8 round length - that is, they cost a lot and take a while to get out, and in a shorter game, they'd be a lot of effort for only a few rounds of use.

This is why the First Date mode takes out the Showcase cards, as well as the harder Blueprints, which suffer from having fewer rounds to complete them.

In my experience though, as your group becomes more familiar with the cards, the Event cards in particular, the game time will drop significantly. In our group we complete a 4 player game in about 75 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flame112 wrote:
Are there any plans for a shorter mode that still has the full rules (ie, 3 funfair and 3 unfair rounds with none of the First Date restrictions).

We're looking at something like a Second Date card with this property now, specifically to combine with Grand Opening and/or Advance Planning, to make a shorter game that lets you hit the ground running but is otherwise full-featured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmitzer
Germany
Garching
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adopted this from lifehouserocks95´s videoreview:

Easy Blocking:
All three different event-attacks count as the same and so do all three different blocks. There is only one kind of attack and one kind of block.

I guess this leads to a more FAIR game.

What you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ararapina wrote:
I would love to see a game changer regarding panoramas.

Panorama scoring will come in with future theme packs, along with some tools to help complete them. Not all packs will enable it, so panoramas will be a scoring method only when one or more of the enabling packs are included.

Britzel wrote:
Easy Blocking:
All three different event-attacks count as the same and so do all three different blocks. There is only one kind of attack and one kind of block.

I'm happy for anyone to alter the rules to suit their play style and what they enjoy in the game! It's meant to be fun, and if that makes it work better for you, that's no problem for me.

My thoughts on that particular change is that it seems like it will lead to a higher number of "fizzled" actions - someone attacks and someone blocks, and the two cards cancel with no change in the game state. That's what blockers are supposed to do, of course, but if that's happening a lot, then it leads to feeling like no progress is being made.

The net effect may be nearly the same as if attacks were banned entirely, as when using World Peace, but with the feeling of "wasting" more turns.

When the attacks are few in number, and there's a higher risk of not blocking successfully, I find the cases where a player does block successfully are more interesting. For me, it feels like more of a challenge to be prepared with a wider range of possible attacks, and that makes success more rewarding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.