Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Avalon Hill version of 1830. The rules state that if nobody buys the Schuylkill Valley Navigation and Railroad Company at its face value during the first stock round, another round is commenced immediately and the SVN&RR is offered again at $5 less and so on and so forth until one player gets it for free if enough rounds pass without a buy.

The rules only state this is the case for the SVN&RR and doesn't mention the same thing could happen to the second stock offered, The Champlain & St. Lawrence. It just says that if another Private Company fails to find a buyer after a complete Round, The Stock Round is closed in the usual way and revenue is paid to each company that has been bought. In my example, the only Private Company that would have been bought would be the SVN&RR and it would pay its dividend to the owner. Does the C&SL then drop $5 if nobody buys it each round? Or must it be sold for its face value no matter what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. If the SVN&RR is bought (and as you point out, it must either be bought or (if the price drops to zero) taken for free,) then if no one buys the C&SL, there is an Operating Round in which the owner of the SVN&RR earns $5. If no one buys the C&SL again, there is another Operating Round in which the owner of the SVN&RR earns $5.

If people are extremely stubborn, there will be 1,924 Operating Rounds, in each of which the SVN&RR owner earns $5, until the bank breaks and the game ends with the SVN&RR owner winning.

Because the other players don't want this to happen, there is a strong incentive for someone to buy the C&SL (probably after advance bids are made on other items.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InNC
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to be clear on:

The First (Private Company) Stock round doesn't end until there is consecutive passes starting with the PD.

A lot of times it will be discounted $5 or $10 or $15. When it gets to $0, the PD must buy it for $0.

As EB says the game can end with just the SVN&RR being the only Private bought. Usually, though, explaining to people what is going to happen if there is another pass out will get people bidding.

------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, this more often will happen when no one wants to buy the B&O. Once you explain to Mister No Private Furthest from PD that he is about to start losing the game very fast usually will overcome his reticence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks fellas. That's exactly how I thought it would go. I appreciate the quick answers. After all these years I'm finally hopping on the 18xx train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.