1714: The Case of the Catalans» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bourbon reinforcements via a card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
Canada
ottawa
flag msg tools
If a card allows you to place Bourbons from the reserve and you choose Blue french cubes are you required to take them from the boxes of 7 or can you take them from the "star fortress" symbol below the boxes of 7 which holds the cubes in excess of 21? In other words must you work your way from top to bottom when placing french cubes?
Thanks,
Tarpon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Russo
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
there is no general reserve "star reserve" for bourbons: when they die, they are removed from the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Canada
ottawa
flag msg tools
Hi Paulo,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I understand that bourbons are all eliminated, removed from the game unless called back in by text on a card.

When we have played we have set up 7 blue in each of the 3 reserve boxes and the remainder in the blue "star" below the boxes. Is this not correct?

Thanks,
Tarpon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"I wonder," he said to himself presently, "I wonder if this sort of car *starts* easily?"
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no remainder for the blue star. The rest go on the board, on the blue squares printed in spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Prat

Barcelona
Catalonia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
(sorry, just came back from holidays)

Stefan and Paolo are right. The rest of blue cubes after placing the 21 in the Reserve, are placed on the map, on each printed blue square. The brown Reserve (Castilian) holds three brwon cubes after the set-up and the gray Reserve (Bavarian) holds two gray cubes.

Hope this solves your question.

Cheers!

Ivan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Canada
ottawa
flag msg tools
Thanks Ivan, but my game came with 52 blue cubes. 20 go on the map, 21 in the 3 group of 7 reserves... what do I do with the remaining 11 blue cubes?
Did I just get too many?

john
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Prat

Barcelona
Catalonia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarpon wrote:
Thanks Ivan, but my game came with 52 blue cubes. 20 go on the map, 21 in the 3 group of 7 reserves... what do I do with the remaining 11 blue cubes?
Did I just get too many?

john

Ok, now I understand your doubt!

You got too many. On the first page of the Rules booklet there's a component list with the details of each colour cube. You need 42 blue cubes to play, the rest are in excess.

But note that 21 blue cubes go on the map, not 20.

Cheers!

Ivan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Canada
ottawa
flag msg tools
:) That solves it!
makes a big difference to how we've been playing.

Hochstadt was the first card played in our last game. We took 2 blue cubes from the 10 extras when we should have taken the first two from the early war box which would then trigger the distribution of Concessions in phase F.

This leads to another question. We have always ignored the red out line on the very first Bourbon reserve as the early war deck is already in use. Does the very first French, red outlined, cube added to the map initiate the addition of the mid war deck?

Thanks again for a great game and all the support.
Tarpon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Prat

Barcelona
Catalonia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarpon wrote:

This leads to another question. We have always ignored the red out line on the very first Bourbon reserve as the early war deck is already in use. Does the very first French, red outlined, cube added to the map initiate the addition of the mid war deck?

Ok, that red circle is just a reminder. Check the rules under 4.f), (page 4), where that red circle comes into play:

- If it's Mid or Late war, add cards to the deck.

AND

- Deal 5 Concessions

So the 15 Concessions are dealt in three times, when those three red circle first french troops are recruited.

Cheers!

Ivan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarpon wrote:

The first red outlined French cube activates the concession phase. Place there the big blue token there to remind the players to do the concession phase at the end of the turn.

Then you can place the big blue token back in the French star shaped reserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.