$35.00
Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BattleCON: Fate of Indines» Forums » Strategy

Subject: BattleGUIDES Episode 56 - Welsie [Fate of Indines] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another episode of BattleGUIDES, Sponsored by Level99Games.

Welsie is a "fun" character. not exactly my thing, but she's definitely strong. She has some awesome tricks up her sleeves.

I hope you all enjoy it!

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mnmkami wrote:
Another episode of BattleGUIDES, Sponsored by Level99Games.

Welsie is a "fun" character. not exactly my thing, but she's definitely strong. She has some awesome tricks up her sleeves.

I hope you all enjoy it!



Welsie doesn't need strategy. She makes Arec look balanced.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dinobottm2 wrote:
Welsie doesn't need strategy. She makes Arec look balanced.


She needs quite a bit of it. Lots of fun nuances, but that's just me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dinobottm2 wrote:
mnmkami wrote:
Another episode of BattleGUIDES, Sponsored by Level99Games.

Welsie is a "fun" character. not exactly my thing, but she's definitely strong. She has some awesome tricks up her sleeves.

I hope you all enjoy it!



Welsie doesn't need strategy. She makes Arec look balanced.


After playing Welsie a few 5ish times now, I have to whole heartedly disagree. She can be very difficult to play. Especially because you need range 3 and have to rely on dash. To me, Welsie doesn't want to dash as much as possible because it results in a token-less discard. Also a few lost beats can be really hard to recover from.

I really want to like her, but her min range is a nightmare and without tokens she feels really weak. I plan to play her more though because I love her concept and think if you can master her she will be a force to be reckoned with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bndeulogy2 wrote:
After playing Welsie a few 5ish times now, I have to whole heartedly disagree. She can be very difficult to play. Especially because you need range 3 and have to rely on dash. To me, Welsie doesn't want to dash as much as possible because it results in a token-less discard. Also a few lost beats can be really hard to recover from.

I really want to like her, but her min range is a nightmare and without tokens she feels really weak. I plan to play her more though because I love her concept and think if you can master her she will be a force to be reckoned with.


I agree with this assessment. I think Andarel puts it well: snowball or lose. She needs to build up and dominate in order to win. The moment your discard's Counterless, or the moment you're less than range 3 is the moment you have to scramble to recover before you just get rekt.

Parallax is also your biggest frenemy. If your Parallax meets someone's Dash/Dodge, you're a goner. They'll dash BACKWARDS until they're 1 space away from the edge, then you HAVE to teleport behind them, cornering yourself easily.

With that, Welsie can be a tough cookie to play. A lot of her options can be invalidated by someone who positions well. And her UA becomes blank the moment people dodge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mnmkami wrote:
Bndeulogy2 wrote:
After playing Welsie a few 5ish times now, I have to whole heartedly disagree. She can be very difficult to play. Especially because you need range 3 and have to rely on dash. To me, Welsie doesn't want to dash as much as possible because it results in a token-less discard. Also a few lost beats can be really hard to recover from.

I really want to like her, but her min range is a nightmare and without tokens she feels really weak. I plan to play her more though because I love her concept and think if you can master her she will be a force to be reckoned with.


I agree with this assessment. I think Andarel puts it well: snowball or lose. She needs to build up and dominate in order to win. The moment your discard's Counterless, or the moment you're less than range 3 is the moment you have to scramble to recover before you just get rekt.

Parallax is also your biggest frenemy. If your Parallax meets someone's Dash/Dodge, you're a goner. They'll dash BACKWARDS until they're 1 space away from the edge, then you HAVE to teleport behind them, cornering yourself easily.

With that, Welsie can be a tough cookie to play. A lot of her options can be invalidated by someone who positions well. And her UA becomes blank the moment people dodge.


Except that she already started at full power, fully charged. She doesn't need to prepare.

But I'll wait. This will be my third "I told you so"when it comes down to broken characters. Your said the exact same thing about Arec.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dinobottm2 wrote:
mnmkami wrote:
Bndeulogy2 wrote:
After playing Welsie a few 5ish times now, I have to whole heartedly disagree. She can be very difficult to play. Especially because you need range 3 and have to rely on dash. To me, Welsie doesn't want to dash as much as possible because it results in a token-less discard. Also a few lost beats can be really hard to recover from.

I really want to like her, but her min range is a nightmare and without tokens she feels really weak. I plan to play her more though because I love her concept and think if you can master her she will be a force to be reckoned with.


I agree with this assessment. I think Andarel puts it well: snowball or lose. She needs to build up and dominate in order to win. The moment your discard's Counterless, or the moment you're less than range 3 is the moment you have to scramble to recover before you just get rekt.

Parallax is also your biggest frenemy. If your Parallax meets someone's Dash/Dodge, you're a goner. They'll dash BACKWARDS until they're 1 space away from the edge, then you HAVE to teleport behind them, cornering yourself easily.

With that, Welsie can be a tough cookie to play. A lot of her options can be invalidated by someone who positions well. And her UA becomes blank the moment people dodge.


Except that she already started at full power, fully charged. She doesn't need to prepare.

But I'll wait. This will be my third "I told you so"when it comes down to broken characters. Your said the exact same thing about Arec.


You know, just because I was wrong once (I don't really agree with the assessment that Old Luc was THAT OP. Current Luc's kinda bad in my opinion), it doesn't mean that I can't be right about this.

In the same vein, just because you've been right twice, based off a small sample size, doesn't mean you're right about this one. :3c

Regardless, if she does end up being OP after much data and testing from people outside the playtest groups, then that's balls and we need to nerf her. However, I'll only change my mind after data and reports have supported this.

Also, she starts off at "max power" but also starts off at a range she doesn't like with her opponent near the center, which is literally a near nightmare scenario. Note that she's not even max power, since only 2 Counters are down.

Regardless, we'll see.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect she'll ultimately fall into the same category as Kaitlyn Van Sorrel- a character who largely wins or loses at the character selection phase. Against opponents who also like range, I expect she'll be very dominant. 'Sticky' characters like Luc, Eustace, and The brandfordts are going to wreck house on her.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She actually does very well against Eustace, and she's so weak to Dash in general that even more standard characters can do well. For defensive characters, the trick is to be careful with your advance and not to go in on half-measures: things like Stun Guard 3 or 4 don't work right against her because her power can be really variable. If you go defense, go all-in (and if you go fast, go as fast as you can because she usually beats middling-speed characters). If Quandary is down she's actually fairly slow because her +2 has minrange issues so take that opportunity to Drive in.

Against Eustace in particular, you need to either slow-dash to reposition when you think he will dash or call out his offense with Ignore Soak on Arc. You can usually deal with his speed, so Cross isn't as big an issue as it sometimes is but you need to save Quandary to deal with it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
She actually does very well against Eustace, and she's so weak to Dash in general that even more standard characters can do well. For defensive characters, the trick is to be careful with your advance and not to go in on half-measures: things like Stun Guard 3 or 4 don't work right against her because her power can be really variable. If you go defense, go all-in (and if you go fast, go as fast as you can because she usually beats middling-speed characters). If Quandary is down she's actually fairly slow because her +2 has minrange issues so take that opportunity to Drive in.

Against Eustace in particular, you need to either slow-dash to reposition when you think he will dash or call out his offense with Ignore Soak on Arc. You can usually deal with his speed, so Cross isn't as big an issue as it sometimes is but you need to save Quandary to deal with it.


In the end, sounds like she takes quite a bit of skill to play well, without getting range screwed or card-locked.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my gaming buddy and I ran into an interesting loop with Welsie vs Vannah today and I wanted to get some opinions from you guys. I was playing Welsie and lucky enough to land an Anomalous Grasp while Vannah's token was in her discard along with her shot and dash. I ended up at range 4 and used Grasp to move her forward and backward until my partner ended up with every one of his cards in his discard pile. My question is, what happens next? Can he play any cards or does Welsie essentially break Battlecon and win the match?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paladin should break that if she plays it (since you can't Anomalous Grasp at range 1) but if an opponent has no Bases in their hand you play a pair and immediately skip to Recycle, they leave a gap in their Discard 1 because they didn't play a pair.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So essentially they don't get to play a pair, discard 2 goes into 1 and this continues until death? Seems like a mini finisher if you can execute it properly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, because the beat can't happen if one player didn't play a pair. You pick a pair to discard (it'll go into D1) and then both players cycle, with nothing happening during the beat.

You probably win on time though, since when they run out of styles you're talking 4 turns + 6 damage worth of shenanigans.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhh that's good to know. Along these same lines, if he ends up with no styles except his special action and a base, and has red life, is he required to play his finisher?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.