Subject: First two games (insert bad sheep pun here) two player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Godspeed the Punchline
United States
San Joser
California
flag msg tools
My copy of Shear Panic arrived today-- I brought it home, and went over the rules. Then, as is my job, I taught my wife the game: The first game was a 'teaching game', we went over the rules, I showed her what I thought were good moves, and explained the 'flock marker', or, as I ended up calling it, the 'clock'. That seemed to work better, as it demonstrated it's importance in terms of 'where we are' in the game.

The timing aspect of the game was the most difficult thing to explain, and the 'second card' mechanic for two players was sort of difficult to grasp; it's easy to avoid the two point penalty, but the use of 'additional' clock points creates another option in a game which can suffer a bit from analysis paralysis. Or so I say, because in the second game, 'the light went on' for my wife, and she used the flock, er, clock to her advantage.

The first phase of the game went fairly evenly, with a few moves needed to 'get near the front' (important for phase two; I was slightly ahead when we moved into phase two. My wife used a couple of well timed 'diagnonal pushes' to put herself in the front row, while moving one of my sheep a row behind. She then used the flock marker advance to cut off any scoring opportunites, and, much to my chagrin, had also positioned herself in a much better position for the 'black sheep tag' phase.

I ended up having to burn a turn to get myself nearer the sheep, but a fortunate roll of the panic die moved things into my favor, and I ended up a couple of points ahead by the time the shearer came up. The obvious 'ewe turn' cost me my first sheep. I was able to use a diagonal push to move my sheep back a row, but totally neglected to notice that set me up for the 'wool rule' move-- the shearer bagged both of my sheep, and it was game over for me.

Curiously, both games ended with the shearer ending the game-- if you've played a lot of two player games, is that usually the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Orthodork wrote:
Curiously, both games ended with the shearer ending the game-- if you've played a lot of two player games, is that usually the case?

No. Y'all need to be more careful with your sheep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Banin
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I bought it recently, and played only two times, both 2er.
The first one none of the players were sheared.
But yesterday, i sheared one of my sister's sheep and she got really made
q=
cause she had a 3 point advantage but since i sheared her sheep, i still had two sheeps to score, and she had only one...
so, i won (=

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.