8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Looking for pieces for my game - Octopus Conga rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hi, looking for already made pieces I could use for my game, Octopus Conga. Or ideas how I could make my own

Quote:

Octopus Conga

Number of Players: 2

Setup/Board Description: Square Grid, the Dancefloor. The North and South edges are colored one color for the Octopuses, and the East and West edges are colored another color for the Squids. Corners are shared. Pencil and paper if playing for Style Points.

Pieces: Octopuses, Squids and their tentacles.

Board Sizes and Play Times:
15 min - 11x11
30 min - 16x16
60 min - 22x22

Overview:
The Octopuses and Squids are having a dance party. One player is the Octopuses and the other is the Squids. Help your species make a conga line from one edge of the Dancefloor to the other.

Each turn:
* A player places an octopus/squid on ANY empty square on the Dancefloor.
* Then the player connects it to all their other octopuses/squids in the eight adjoining squares with a tentacle, unless it would cross an opponent's tentacle.
* Then they add the following number of Style Points for the number of connections they made to their score (optional):
Connections Points
0 0
1 100
2 200
3 300
4 600
5 1200
6 2400
7 4000
8 8000

Win condition: A player connects their two edges of the Dancefloor.

Pie rule (optional, this rule nullifies the 1st player's inherent advantage): After the first move is made, the second player has one of two options:

1) Letting the move stand, in which case the second player remains the second player and moves immediately, or
2) Switching places, in which case the second player becomes the first-moving player, and the "new" second player then makes their "first" move. (I.e., the game proceeds from the opening move already made, but with roles reversed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieces for prototyping or manufacturing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hey Greg, mostly would like to make pieces for a personal copy of the game to play with friends/family.

Edit: I've play tested the game already a lot, so I know the game "works" mechanically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like it would be pretty easily done with chipboard.

Try a local picture framing store, they are likely to be willing to give away some of their extra/discarded matte board, this stuff works GREAT for prototyping. Otherwise you will need to go to a Michael's or a Hobby Lobby to pick up some framing matte or chipboard.

After that, you can print to label and affix, or just draw on the board itself.

Use a razor knife or x-acto and a steel ruler to cut things out. That should get you all of your cores and conventicles. You can use the same material for your boards as well.

You could even use colored cubes for the tentacles if you wanted, and pawn for the cores. Check out school supply stores online, I think you could get around 1,000 cubes in 10 different colors (100 of each color) for like 14 bucks plus shipping. Those will be easier to place and use than chipboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AquaSphere has wooden octopusses, but in one colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I would be shocked if one of the disposable plastic toy manufacturers doesn't have squids and octopuses. You might consider calling some aquariums across the country and asking if they have some in their gift shop and, if so, get a lead on the manufacturer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a friend/local library with a 3d printer, you can find models for almost anything at thingiverse. Here is an option for an octopus.

If you want octopus/squid meeples, you could even find icons (like these) and get them laser cut if you have a friend with a laser cutter, or get them printed with a 3d printer.

I have made things like that before:

It is a bit of a hassle (3d printers are finicky at best), however it is the only way to get certain meeples, so I do it some times. If you are interested in having me print you some and mail them, pm me and we can talk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out meeplesource. I know they have octopi meeples and may have something like squid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.