War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Altered components in the latest reprints? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that Ares Games has listened to some of the complaints regarding the dice that come along with the game. The game still doesn't come with a total of ten standard d6, but their quality seems to be improved (in hardness and overall structure comparable to the dice from BattleLore 2nd edition). Additionally, the Action Dice appear to be of a significantly better quality than in any unboxing video or most photographs (except one from last year, which means it's probably a bit older than I had originally thought).

The Action Dice seem to be the identical to the Battle of Five Armies ones.

Old dice, to serve as a comparison:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
I have never stumbled upon a single complaint about the action dice you're showing here. What is Ares supposed to improve with them?

And those "latest reprint" dice are around since the 1st edition from 2004.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tatze wrote:
I have never stumbled upon a single complaint about the action dice you're showing here. What is Ares supposed to improve with them?

And those "latest reprint" dice are around since the 1st edition from 2004.

I've seen a lot of complaints. E.g.

A number of times people seem to have inquired if they could purchase replacement dice.

This is a good side-by-side comparison review of the two editions - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/738666/2nd-edition-review-s... ; according to it, the sole "downgrade" in terms of quality had been the dice:

tallgrant wrote:
This is my only real area of complaint. The Second edition dice appear to be made of a softer material. They're also not marbled like the First edition, and have been done in an easier to read color scheme. I felt like they were lighter the first time I picked them up but having compared them they seem about the same weight now.

I really do not like the new combat dice. The look appears off and they appear to be a cheaper plastic than the original. The numerical layout isn't traditional (especially on the 2) and the one is an oversized eyesore. I will probably replace mine as soon as possible with something similar to what came in the First edition.

Then they appear to have switched back to the 1st edition dice last year. So Ares is not "supposed" to do anything; I am talking about a change which appears to have occurred since last year's reprint.

I wonder if anything else had been changed "under the radar"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy, which I purchased about 3 years ago, did not come with the combat dice pictured on the right in the above post. They are white dice with a traditional pip layout.

I cannot speak to the Action Dice, because the differences appear to be more subtle and I don't have my set in front of me to compare.

I guess I am trying to say that if there are changes in the dice, they were either made longer ago than last year. It's possible that the odd combat dice were only used in the first printing of the second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
The combat dice are out of the question. Replace them.

The action dice on the other hand - I disagree that there is a superior version.
tallgrant wrote:
[...] appear to be made of a softer material. They're also not marbled like the First edition, and have been done in an easier to read color scheme. I felt like they were lighter the first time I picked them up but having compared them they seem about the same weight now.

turambur wrote:
[..] the differences appear to be more subtle [...]

It's more of a personal preference, isn't it? I prefer the matte ones. The shiny dice look like cheap plastic toys to me.
Also, the shiny dice were not reintroduced in the latest reprint. I have played 3 year old copies featuring them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People are replacing combat dice, not action dice. Shared combat dice is pointless. Better to buy dice of faction colors and enough for both to have at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
People are replacing combat dice, not action dice. Shared combat dice is pointless. Better to buy dice of faction colors and enough for both to have at the same time.

I've heard quite a number of complaints regarding the (now abandoned) Action Dice; I've quoted just two of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maxfield
msg tools
mbmbmb
You are constantly talking about problems and issues that you have with the game on here for the past few months. If you aren't into it, why keep talking about with so must distaste?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zeta044 wrote:
You are constantly talking about problems and issues that you have with the game on here for the past few months. If you aren't into it, why keep talking about with so must distaste?

This thread, as is pretty obvious in its opening post, is dedicated to noticing and complementing the sheer commitment of Ares Games to its product and the level of communication the game developers have with the consumers.

As is clear in accordance to this thread, I am very (positively) astonished by the positive response coming from AG due to some complaints and opened up a thread because I found none other similar, also inquiring as to whether there had been perhaps some other minor improvements to the game that have perhaps slipped under the nose.

So, having said that on this thread which I don't think you actually even read a single post of (and underlying the fact that I have consistently written on this forum over the recent posts how I am greatly impressed by the people behind War of the Ring, including, and possibly going a bit too far, when I responded with almost a ridicule of FFG when someone raved about a supposedly far too big cost of the game https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/42948?commentid=6511819#c...) - honestly, dude, what on Earth are you on about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maxfield
msg tools
mbmbmb
You are right, you caught me. I didn't actually read most of what you wrote. Usually when I see the post is from you, it gets read rather quickly and skimmed over, just so I can see the responses that others have offered to what it is you post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zeta044 wrote:
You are right, you caught me. I didn't actually read most of what you wrote. Usually when I see the post is from you, it gets read rather quickly and skimmed over, just so I can see the responses that others have offered to what it is you post.

Well I am sorry to hear that. I don't know how to help you with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.