9 Posts

Unusual Suspects» Forums » General

Subject: Cranio Creations Vs Cool Mini Or Not Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quentin Quek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original version bought in Essen 2015, and my friend bought the new edition from CMON and we tried it yesterday. I was very unpleasantly surprised by some of the design/development changes from the original version.

Differences
1. The same character cards drawings now has a pin-up picture frame around it (purely cosmetic but made the drawing smaller)
2. The character cards no longer has the height measure/reference, which was sometimes useful as a clue of whether the character does certain activities where height matters.
3. The CAP, used so that the we can't tell if the witness keeps looking at a particular card, is removed.
4. the MOST important change is the rephrasing of the question cards from He/She to THEY. As a witness, we know who the real suspect is. So we would know about the suspect and answer accordingly to the characteristic of he/she. Changing to THEY means the witness is now supposed answer according to the characteristic of the other 11 innocent parties! How does that ever make sense thematically? I understand that the change is suppose to eliminate possible confusion to some players, but this doesn't make sense at all...

All these differences for the most part, made then game WORSE. Its like one step forward and three steps back by CMON.
I will always insist to play the original Cranio creation version now and enjoy the game the way its intended to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Do they make the game harder? If so, that is an improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) i agree it does not sound like a good idea. Are the pictures the same or are there new ones included?

2) i agree that height was a nice touch.

3) disagree, we threw that silly cap away as the first thing. I hate the the box is 20x as large as it should be, just to accomodate this silly component.

4) i think you are misunderstanding. 'They' is here used just as the gender neutral version of he/she. You are still supposed to give clues about the murderer, so no worries here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Svendsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
My Secret Santa is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I have seen from videos, there's both new characters (policeman) and questions ("Does he/she come home for Thanksgiving"). But I don't know how many new they've added. Wish they had kept the face of the cards the same (without the pins). The original both looks better, and it would have been compatible with the other edition (if the for example release any expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Leung
Singapore
flag msg tools
I think regardless the intent of the rephrasing, it is gonna be causing confusion.

I have an idea to save this confusion though. Change the game title to,
ESP: Unusual witness.
A witness who has the power to read the mind of everyone innocent. And knows absolutely jack sh#t about the suspect! Watch him answer almost any questions abt people he hardly knows! And finally, gives enough clues to the confused detectives to eliminate the innocents leaving only the suspect behind!hahahaha. Cmon. Just stick to plastic toys and atop ruining other otherwise fine designs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you for the helpful review! i know which version i'm going to get...
you forgot to mention the original box art is much more pretty and attractive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Looks like you can choose from either edition now...

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/cmnuns001.html
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ccs0387.html

Anyone know why they're both for sale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyril Sneer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Clyde,

it is correct - MM got roughly 40 copies of the original european Version ...... when they are gone they are gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am being honest, I hardly care about any of the negatives mentioned in the CMON edition. The hat was silly, the card art looks better for the CMON edition in my opinion, more cards for all categories is a HUGE bonus, box size being smaller is nice, and the wording makes sense to me using "they". Anyway, the game is solid so either edition would work based on availability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.