Subject: And so the day arrives..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Rush
United Kingdom
Port Talbot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the day that the European backers start to receive their copy of Mare Nostrum.....

Not the day that Uwe officially apologizes for his incompetence with running this campaign and blaming everyone else for the delays and lack of communication....

But the day that European retailers start selling English Language copies of the game....

So what that means is that everyone can start to enjoy playing the game(which is great) except the people that actually helped make the game in the first place....Good job Uwe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turcan
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Well the game seems pretty meh upon set up and playing alone if that makes you feel any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I think it's going to take much more than that to make this fellow feel any better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take solace in the fact that the game is being sold at about twice the price you paid for it (taking the expansion into account). I would far rather be in your position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They claimed that backes will have early delivery weeks before retail availability.
Has anyone tried contacting KS staff to alert them of said bad behaviour. Maybe they can put some pressure on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly the worst-run campaign from a shipping point of view that I can remember (although Glory To Rome Black Box was pretty damned inept, too). How one market gets its games ten weeks earlier I don't know. But the news from the business in charge of EU distribution (once the games eventually got to their depot), that they are still waiting for the names and addresses of backers, leads me to shake my head in bewilderment.

If the point of KS is to help projects get made, then there are businesses out there who don't deserve the help of many of us. This experience (combined with a lost box of Scythe, and 7th Continent which turns out to have been completely unfinished in terms of design, despite what the KS video reviews implied) means that I've probably backed my last projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Gasparetti
Italy
Trecastelli
An
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never more Academy Games for me.
I've backed two of the worst crowdfunding: Fief 1492 and Mare Nostrum (errors, different rules for different languages, debates between meeples or miniatures, delays, lies, incompetent managing and so on).
For me it's enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gapsxever wrote:
I've backed two of the worst crowdfunding: Fief 1492 and Mare Nostrum (errors, different rules for different languages, debates between meeples or miniatures, delays, lies, incompetent managing and so on).
For me it's enough.

What errors, as a matter of interest? I'm still considering buying this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Possibly the worst-run campaign from a shipping point of view that I can remember. How one market gets its games ten weeks earlier I don't know. But the news from the business in charge of EU distribution (once the games eventually got to their depot), that they are still waiting for the names and addresses of backers, leads me to shake my head in bewilderment.

It beyond my comprehension as well.

If they can quickly do it for the USA market and even get in the chips by air freight because otherwise "they would get an unacceptable delay", how incredibly difficult can it be to send the distributors an adress and packing list for backers in Europe/Asia/Australia?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esben Meulengracht Flachs
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Academy Games is not only US based, but extremely US focussed. Too bad we European backers are second class or even worse.

The company is a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Jørgensen
Denmark
Glostrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
gapsxever wrote:
For me it's enough.

What errors, as a matter of interest? I'm still considering buying this game.

I think your question is off-topic, since it relates to a different game. But briefly, stated Fief 1429 is a great game, delivered through a rough-run kickstarter project.

I interpret
Francesco Gasparetti
Italy
Trecastelli
An
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
comment to refer to the similarities between the kickstarter projects.
As far as I recall there is only one error in the production of Fief 1429 - one card is misprinted and have so far not been replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delays, lack of communication, possibility that buyers may obtain copies before Kickstarter pledgers [of which I am one] reflect badly on the company and I too may not choose to pledge to another of their offerings.

But, Fief 1429 is an excellent game, enjoyed by all that I've introduced to it. The original Mare Nostrum was a game I owned and liked and I expect this to be awesome when it eventually arrives.

Don't let the experience put you off the games themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if some of you might think my comment is "spilling oil in the fire"...

this campaign shows the dark side of KS.

I'm an old fart so... in the times when I was young a company having a warehouse full of games tried to sell them as fast as they could to get enough cash-flow for other things. No bank would have waited for receiving a debt get paid back "until the loaner is in the right mood" or something else.

With KS the whole thing changed. Today, just offer enough minis, even if a product is not finished you'll get more than enough money on a promise to deliver sometimes than any bank would give you on such a promise (beside some laughter and an opinion of you and your company being "strange").

And regarding the lists they -AG - has sent or not: As far as I understood Schwerkraft - Verlag the data sent had to be re-worked to be usable. I'm not sure on this since I never received any mail but have to become a member of facebook yuk to receive any information. SO my infos are 2nd hand from other backers since I'm not on facebook.

I can understand the anger and I have to say that I'm personally are done with the game. It goes out faster than it came in - even if it has to be in a trash can.

But this is KS and you can be sure - not important if you are AG, Mantic or someone else: As soon as the next KS is up you will see the goal reached by 2 times / 3 times / x times with all the nifty Stretch-Goals reached.

So why should a company change anything at all? From a business-point of view they will gather enough cash next time that those who promise to never buy again are a mere nuisance. And they have the money in advance. That's invaluable. KS is, from a business perspective, the greatest thing that could happen to designers that before had to become naked in front of some money-loaners that would either not given them THAT amount of money or let them bleed dry with interest rates and collaterals.

This game is - financially - history. So let us wait until it arrives and then do with it whatever one wants. No need to blow off more steam.

AG is not responsible, all the others are not responsible - so this leaves the backers (me included) who gave money away on some promises that turned out to be "not so true". My Gramma would have said: "Should have thought about it earlier...".

Think about how funny it will be when you find out - after finally receiving the game - that things are misprinted, missing or even damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rush
United Kingdom
Port Talbot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been saying for awhile , I know doubt Mare Nostrum seems like a fantastic game.
The few reviews the game actually has are all great.
It's such a shame that the game hasn't been given the praise it deserves , all due to the ridiculous way the Kickstarter has been run.

This experience certainly hasn't put me off from backing other games via Kickstarter because a few kickstarter games ,to name a few (Scythe , Xia Legends of a Drift System) really appreciate their backers support and go the extra mile to keep them updated with how production is going.

All it has done is to put a huge black mark in supporting Academy games adventures for the future along with I guess many other fellow non US citizens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All too often, when the KS process has gone sour for me with a particular game, when that game arrives I have little or no desire to play it, or find that my KS experience has a strongly detrimental effect* on my enjoyment of the game when I do.

* usually because I have to put up with the mockery of others in my games group, who point out that I could have had the same game cheaper and faster if I'd just picked it up off the shelf in my FLGS. I've not thought about how much Mare Nostrum has cost in comparison to the retail copies, but it does make me somewhat unhappy that my local shop will be putting it out on their shelves before my copy is put in the post to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
All too often, when the KS process has gone sour for me with a particular game, when that game arrives I have little or no desire to play it, or find that my KS experience has a strongly detrimental effect* on my enjoyment of the game when I do.

... same here plus I have to deal with people (5 / 6 player games, we have 2 of these guys in our group) who went through the Geek and copied every strategy / card combination / whatever and made their "how to play the game successfully" memo - card. Playing with these kind of people is like seeing 2 chess - champions doing a game of speed - chess.

Did the math right now and see my re-sale of the game drop massively: Base game 45 bucks + expansion 40 bucks. Looking at what I paid for receiving the game before the stores get their copy shake

So I put it on the same stack as Dungeon Saga.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any backer who thinks they've been hard done by price-wise, I'm happy to pay what they paid for the game (English version), plus shipping to where I live (within Europe).

I expect no offers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Any backer who thinks they've been hard done by price-wise, I'm happy to pay what they paid for the game (English version), plus shipping to where I live (within Europe).

I expect no offers.

Whilst I'm feeling a bit frustrated at not having the game yet, I'm still of a mind that I can't wait to play it. I'm not burned on the company, their games, or KS itself... I think things could probably have been a bit tighter, communication certainly better.

But... no-one's trying to rip you off, that I can see. You want to see a shabby outfit? Go read up on how Queen Games handled Dark Darker Darkest. Kept the money, didn't even bother making some of the rewards, made up shit on the spot about it... and then just stopped responding to requests for refunds.

We're not in the hands of crooks and shysters here. So take a breath. You could have backed Serpent's Tongue, or Incredible Expeditions, or any number of other things that were tantamount to robbery. (Hey, how late was Kingdom Death: Monster? It's one of the most incredible games - and KS deals - ever put together).

Still unhappy when it gets here? Vote with your wallet next time. And, as others have said, we got a great price on the game. Go read what's in the retail box, and how much it costs, and tell me you'd swap with your pledge copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Gasparetti
Italy
Trecastelli
An
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
repairmanjack wrote:
no-one's trying to rip you off

I don't say they're thugs, but only they're incompetent in managing a kickstarter and they're getting worse, instead of improving.

If you want to run a kickstarter campaign, take a lesson from Stonemaier Games!

For what concerns the value of the kickstarter, I can only say that backers pay in advance and finance at no interest the game makers, so it's normal to have a discount respect to the retail price or to get more material at the same price.

Furthermore they said that backers have to receive the game "several weeks before retailers" and this is false.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

I expect no offers.

Here is the offer: 135 €

... but sorry, the game is the German - version gulp (as you might get from my former posts - so your offer was an easy one, wasn't it )

And usually I don't sell something I don't hold in my hands because if something is damaged / missing I get the blame and not the company doing the sh**.

If I had knew that you made such an offer I would have ordered the English version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
MrMT wrote:

I expect no offers.

Here is the offer: 135 €

... but sorry, the game is the German - version :gulp: (as you might get from my former posts - so your offer was an easy one, wasn't it ;) )

And usually I don't sell something I don't hold in my hands because if something is damaged / missing I get the blame and not the company doing the sh**.

If I had knew that you made such an offer I would have ordered the English version. ;)

:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
repairmanjack wrote:

We're not in the hands of crooks and shysters here. So take a breath.

I try to have a different opinion here. As the OP has shown on various posts the "creator" of the KS was Academy Games (have checked it right now again). Beside the posts from Uwe, who makes it very clear now that he has nothing to do with the non-english versions...

... I find it a bit odd that I have to rely on THIS side if I want any informations beside the KS-news (where Uwe ... see before). The only thing I read from the German distributor was a statement about people who told them to never buy again from them that they should please do so - and then stating that they (the German distr.) can do nothing about it - pointing back to Async. and Academy.

If you JUST got a mail: Sorry, we're late - it takes up to September. Fine. But - Nothing ??? Does this mean I'm not on a backer list? Is something wrong with my address or the CSV file? How do I know - how can I know since no-one talks to me? Oh, wait, I can become a member of the facebook - group - yeah - a data-protection nightmare gulp Was this listed in the original campaign? Can't find it.

repairmanjack wrote:

Still unhappy when it gets here? Vote with your wallet next time. And, as others have said, we got a great price on the game. Go read what's in the retail box, and how much it costs, and tell me you'd swap with your pledge copy.

For sure I will vote with my wallet - no more AG for me. And up 'til now I stood to my word.

repairmanjack wrote:

And, as others have said, we got a great price on the game. Go read what's in the retail box, and how much it costs, and tell me you'd swap with your pledge copy.

Well, the only thing I can't buy from AG are the extra dice. The poker chips are available from at least AG side - retailers even list the dice for cheaper than the retail price.

And concerning "swap with your pledge copy" - I have nothing to swap and don't know when I will receive something to swap. So every offer is futile.

Sadly I'm not at Essen this year, because he would get this game plus everything back at once. But maybe he is not the right address and I would have to take it to the other vendor, or Async. or ... shake

There is a comic book: Asterix - The Mansions of the Gods (Die Trabantenstadt) where they have to acquire a some legal document and were sent from office to office - everyone pointing to the other ones.

That's how I feel right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But the day that European retailers start selling English Language copies of the game....

Mmm. I got mine from Boardgame Guru delivered about a week or so ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rush
United Kingdom
Port Talbot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So some good news at last .......
Check your inbox's because I got an email this afternoon that Happy shops are now shipping backers pledges.
No tracking number so no idea who will be the carrier but at least things are moving.
It also seems that they are sending the play mat as well so fingers crossed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same with the buildings and chips, as a friend had received his email saying that they will be sent out. It doesn't say *when* they are going to be sent, mind.

I've not received any email yet, but technically I'm not a backer but a ore-order customer. Although I had the KS page open on my PC ready to back before the deadline, an accident put me in intensive care that weekend (the avatar says how), so I missed it. I did however order about a week later, while still in hospital at the start of August, once I was awake and equipped with credit card and net access!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.