Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey fellow Gigas,

BGG is great for having focused threads of conversation, but sometimes it's just nice to have a communal chat thread, where you can share whatever's on your robo-brain (much like the Kickstarter comments board).

So here it is!

Things I've been excited about recently:

* Ascalon Alpha's "Ammunition" Instants: So cool!

* How about a "two pilot" variant, where each player started with two pilots instead of one (much like halfway through a team match)?

* Chogoking's alternate sculpt is bad-ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Eldil wrote:
* Ascalon Alpha's "Ammunition" Instants: So cool!

I agree with everything, but this in particular - I have PLANS revolving around them for a future build I'll be sharing...

Also, I want to share a not-Ascalon build in there next, but I'm still tossing up a few ideas.

And just in a bit of fun, I've been watching G Gundam recently, and the way Azyn Black! has all the armour plates opening reminds me of the Super Mode in that show. Make sure it's done using the Override, so you can add in Knuckle Detonator for an equivalent of Shining Finger, and I think we have a Burning Gundam on our hands!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammerschlag
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
IRON FUSION OVERKILL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
obliviondoll wrote:
I agree with everything, but this in particular - I have PLANS revolving around them for a future build I'll be sharing...

I see what you did there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the GR! campaign ended, I felt the urge to watch some giant robot series. So I hopped on to Netflix and binge watched Voltron: Legendary Defender in three days. I never really was THAT much into the giant robot genre. I always enjoyed giant robots, mind you, and the appeal of the GR! style was immediate. I just never watched all the series (except for Transformers. You can't grow up in the 90s without watching Transformers).
But now I want more... So, can anyone recommend me something awesome to watch? One thing, however, is that I really enjoyed the quality of the animation on the new Voltron. And experience with other anime taught me that the old stuff hasn't always aged as well as the old-time fans hope. So something that doesn't appear too outdated would be nice Then again, I wouldn't want to stop any enthusiasm by saying 'you can't tell me about your favorite 80s series'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:
But now I want more... So, can anyone recommend me something awesome to watch? One thing, however, is that I really enjoyed the quality of the animation on the new Voltron. And experience with other anime taught me that the old stuff hasn't always aged as well as the old-time fans hope. So something that doesn't appear too outdated would be nice :) Then again, I wouldn't want to stop any enthusiasm by saying 'you can't tell me about your favorite 80s series' :)

Three things on Netflix that I've recently enjoyed:

Aldnoah.Zero: Human colonists of Mars have formed a Martian Empire using ancient technological artifacts, and now surround the Earth in space-castles. When a martian princess is sent to Earth on a diplomatic mission, something goes terribly wrong and the martian knights invade in their awesome mech-suits, and the Earth humans fight back in their less-advanced mech suits.

I enjoyed it, but don't expect evenly matched super robot fights. The martian mechs are so advanced that all the battles are one-sided until the hero can figure out their weakness. But still, the designs are cool, and the animation is modern.

Kuromukuro: When giant mechs called "orges" invade the Earth from a space platform, a samurai is awoken from a stasis pod to pilot a ogre-like samurai mech, but only with the help of a teenage girl that stumbles into the situation.

There's some great mech fight sequences in this, but there's also a lot of Japanese high-school drama/comedy. There will be entire episodes without a mech fight. But still, it's pretty good, and the animation is modern and good.

Gurren Lagann: In a world where all humans live in primitive underground cities, a boy miner discovers a robot head that he can pilot, and eventually--with the help of his friends--combine into a larger mech to fight the beastman-piloted mechs on the surface.

This is my favorite of the batch, but it is GOOFY, and a little weird. It almost seems to be a parody of mech shows. But it's got everything: giant robots fighting other giant robots, robots turning into BIGGER robots, and even an occasional shouting finishing move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Crunchy Roll is a free streaming service for anime. They have Go-Lion on there which is the original Japanese show used in adapting the first Voltron show in NA.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/go-lion

They have Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans, which is the newest Gundam show and doesn't require you to have watched any of the previous shows. also it's really good.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/mobile-suit-gundam-iron-blooded-o...

They also have Gargantia, which is a show I enjoyed.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/gargantia-on-the-verdurous-planet

Unforunately for alot of the good stuff (especially older stuff) you need to seek out the fansubs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chibodee Crocket
United States
New York
flag msg tools
obliviondoll wrote:

And just in a bit of fun, I've been watching G Gundam recently, and the way Azyn Black! has all the armour plates opening reminds me of the Super Mode in that show. Make sure it's done using the Override, so you can add in Knuckle Detonator for an equivalent of Shining Finger, and I think we have a Burning Gundam on our hands!

Speaking of Burning Gundam, isn't Chogoking more directly inspired by said mobile suit? The colors, the general model, the wings, as well the sword and fire inspired attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The wings and the sol sphere attack made me think of Gundam X, but certainly the God Gundam shares a similar fighting style to Chogoking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Chibodee Crocket wrote:
obliviondoll wrote:

Speaking of Burning Gundam, isn't Chogoking more directly inspired by said mobile suit? The colors, the general model, the wings, as well the sword and fire inspired attacks.

It feels like there's a bit of G Gundam protagonist in both Ayzn and Chogoking. The Chogoking reference is the obvious one, but I was starting to see hints of it in Ayzn and then realised how well the Override/Knuckle Detonator combo makes it fit the image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cheng
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll elaborate more on this in The Zoider War, but even though it's one of the designs I had the most direct input on (as in I actually was illustrating concepts for the final design) I have no idea what visually inspired it. Conceptually there's a lot of Great Mazinger, but visually it was built on the backs of about 15 other concepts that were all over the place.

As much as I love the Try Burning, it was designed before Try debuted. I think the fire influence comes more from the 2005/2006 Gaiking series though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of Build Fighters both the original Build Fighters:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJV1h9xQ7Hx-0WipavLDd...

and the sequel Build Fighters Try:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJV1h9xQ7Hx9RWqvcTplO...

are available for free on the GundamInfo youtube channel. Depending on your region there may be more available for free streaming there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
jetjagaa wrote:
As much as I love the Try Burning, it was designed before Try debuted.

Try Burning was based on the Burning Gundam from Mobile Fighter G Gundam. That was mid 90s, a LOOONG time before Try. Also prior to the Burning Gundam, the Shining Gundam had a similar design and the same type of super mode that Ayzn's transformation reminds me of.

Also Build Fighters is pretty awesome, and while I haven't seen it all the way through, I've enjoyed what I've seen of Try so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cheng
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohhh yeah--I completely blanked that the God Gundam is the same thing as the Burning Gundam, and deferred to the build fighters Burning instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips on big robot series, guys! I watched eight episodes of Iron Blooded Orphans yesterday robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you liked it enough to watch 8 episodes in one day Season 2 of IBO should be starting soon. We already got a PV for it. If you end up liking the first season you'll be all caught up for the simulcast. IBO and Macross Delta are my two favorite currently running Mecha series.

The Burning Gundam being extremely similar to the God Gundam is even more humorous if you notice that Kamiki Sekai's mentor in the opening has the same exact silhouette as Domon Kasshu. The main difference between the two suits that I noticed is Sekai's Build Burning uses hand to hand martial arts almost exclusively (except for some minor instances). God Gundam actually had a well balanced load out of long, mid and short ranges weaponry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I'm probably going to watch IBO sometime soon, but currently on G Gundam for the moment.

Also, my current Giga-Robo project is my first Ayzn build. I've had a few ideas for how to build Ayzn with my usual odd twist, and ended up melding them all into a single deck. Hopefully I can have it fleshed out and feeling "right" soon.

...I have way too much fun creating builds for this game I love that it feels like almost any combination is viable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Just another random thing that Ayzn reminds me of - only a little, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish Melee attacks were in the MechWarrior games. In Mechwarrior Online I've got an Atlas with short range weapons, an ECM and anti missile system installed. They have since nerfed the build, but it certainly allowed me to get in range to potentially do things like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
phillosmaster wrote:
I wish Melee attacks were in the MechWarrior games.

There's ONE melee attack in most MechWarrior games.

They're just missing the important ones...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iam TwinWarrior
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Azyn reminded me of Optimus Prime
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Since this is kind of a random chat space, I feel the need to vent, and think here is probably a good place to do it.

Today is the second time I've had someone attempt to misuse my name (which, for the record, is a legally registered alias). This time is something I feel far less threatened by than the previous incident, but it's still uncomfortable.

I have a token backing of the Mech Command RTS project. I've put a small amount of money up because I want them to succeed, but I had more interest in Giga-Robo, in spite of the other game's unique mechanics and darker aesthetic (which is normally a big draw for me).

I'm definitely not at all blind to the concerns surrounding that project, and I have been quite willing to put my voice behind problems with it. That said, there is a troll who's ben very persistent about presenting even totally legitimate aspects of the project in a negative light. As of today, he's begun targeting people - myself being the second victim - to create fake versions of our Kickstarter accounts to continue his abusive crusade against the project.

It's currently only 6am here (I'm nocturnal, I'd normally be going to bed sometime between 5 and 7am), so I plan to wait until a more reasonable hour (which means staying up late) and contacting the local police to report this.

I've already reported this to Kickstarter support, but I'm a little shaken by the situation, and needed to post a bit of a rant about it. It's not the worst thing I've seen online, but as someone who's previously had someone attempt to steal my name in a more serious fashion before, this is a very difficult situation for me to find myself in.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, and that if it does, it's resolved easily enough by simply hiding the message. Sorry and thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately it seems the Mech Command RTS Kickstarter has become a very volatile environment. I'm not entirely sure why someone would put so much time and effort into slandering the campaign. I am not a backer for various reasons, but I wish the company well. I hope it succeeds and I can check the game out at retail. All that said it looks like today they finally had positive growth after two weeks of negative growth. I assume that means enough information is out now to right the ship so to speak.

Gamer Bearded Tom wrote:
Azyn reminded me of Optimus Prime

I can see it. I think it's the barrel chest. I'm reminded of Mazinger or Great Mazinger because of the "crown" shape on his head. Also the large blasts he can discharge from his chest Breast Fire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oblivion Doll
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Yeah. I've actually backed below the reward threshold because I couldn't afford both Giga-Robo and Mech Command. I'm not going to be seeing any return on what I'm backing there, but I really want the project to succeed, and think it's worth putting a small amount towards helping - even if I have concerns about the project.

It's actually been quite interesting with Giga-Robo as my first kickstarter project I've backed, and that as my second. The two campaigns are so, SO different it's crazy. I'm really hopeful to see it turn out well, though.

Just, like I said, a little shaken by what's happened thanks to an idiot troll throwing his voice into the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
obliviondoll wrote:
Yeah. I've actually backed below the reward threshold because I couldn't afford both Giga-Robo and Mech Command. I'm not going to be seeing any return on what I'm backing there, but I really want the project to succeed, and think it's worth putting a small amount towards helping - even if I have concerns about the project.

It's actually been quite interesting with Giga-Robo as my first kickstarter project I've backed, and that as my second. The two campaigns are so, SO different it's crazy. I'm really hopeful to see it turn out well, though.

Just, like I said, a little shaken by what's happened thanks to an idiot troll throwing his voice into the mix.

I've been watching the Armored Core/Mech Command campaign on a regular basis, at first because I saw it as a rival to Giga-Robo (and I was a little jealous it was doing so good), and then out of fascination when things started to get crazy.

With their current gameplay video and the rules doc they've posted, I'm finally assured that there's a real game in there. But man, it took them a long time to get to that point, and left them really vulnerable to criticism for most of the campaign.

I've never seen such a persistent and vindictive troll as the one that keeps hammering that campaign. I wonder if it's a Serpent's Tongue backer that didn't receive all the pledged rewards or something.

But I'm sorry you got targeted. That sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It still does seem a little problematic that the first result for "Mech Command kickstarter" is a Battletech kickstarter related to the MechCommander property. I think BCG has said they're legally cleared for the Mech Command RTS, but I wonder if they'll still face some issues down the line.

At any rate, I wish them the best. I'm not sure if it's my kind of game, but they've obviously put a lot of work into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.