Subject: 3P and 4P score distribution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
I've seen some people mentioning in a few places that they dislike it with 3P because it's unbalanced with the player count, where the third player is left out in an otherwise two horse race.

So I took a very basic look at some stats.

3P

From the last 20 3P games over at slothninja the average winning score was 43% of the total, the average for second 32%, and the average for third 25%.

This looks fairly evenly shared, with more of a runaway winner than a runaway loser. Looking more closely at the scores showed:

8/20 games where second place was within 5%* of first.
11/20 games where third was within 5% of second.
4/20 games where third was within 10% of first.

4P

From the last 20 4P games over at slothninja the average winning score was 33% of the total, the average for second 27%, and the average for third 23%, and fourth 17%.

This looks fairly evenly shared also, though here the average winner's score was twice that of last place, much more than in the 3P game. Looking more closely at the scores showed:

9/20 games where second place was within 5% of first.
11/20 games where fourth was within 5% of third.
7/20 games where last was within 10% of first.

All in all the general complaint doesn't look to be the case, with close games and runaway winners and losers at both player counts. Though there might be some case for arguing that the 3P game tends more towards two closer players and a big winner or loser.

* (of total score, not relative)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3p is my least favourite player count just due to the lack of cities on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao C L Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
3p is my least favourite player count just due to the lack of cities on the board.

Never played this but how is it 2p ?

ty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhonyb wrote:
Ogrecrusher wrote:

Never played this but how is it 2p ?

ty

At 2p you get 2 cards each, so usually 4 per era, like 4p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Huter
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good at 2P, but brutal. Also, it tends to go more turns than I prefer.

I like the game at all player counts, but my preference is:

4P >> 3P > 5P > 2P

The sweet spot is 4 player. 5 player is too short in my opinion. Not, uncommon for a 5P game to run only 5 turns (4 turns is possible). 3P has fewer cities in play as mentioned above. But, with fewer players, I don't see it as a huge detriment.

2P player games commonly run 11 turns or more. The issue is that a small advantage early can quickly turn into an insurmountable lead. At which point, conceding the game makes sense instead of playing 5 or 6 more turns. With players of similar skill, 2P games can be tense fights till the end. My problem is that I'm typically out matched and lose early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:

Yes, I agree. 4P is significantly better. With 3 players the game can drag. I haven't played it with 5 yet but I wonder if it'd be too short of a game (two rounds per era).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Fremen wrote:
Ogrecrusher wrote:

Yes, I agree. 4P is significantly better. With 3 players the game can drag. I haven't played it with 5 yet but I wonder if it'd be too short of a game (two rounds per era).

I think 5p is too short unless folks are careful not to advance the game, whether intentional or otherwise. I've seen 5p games run 7 rounds, but most run 6 and a couple have run 5 (because people wanted to merge things like dogs in heat, and mergers are inherently the pulse of your game clock).

I enjoy it at both 3 and 4, but I only like playing at 3 with similarly skilled folks. If you get an imbalance, it devolves into an also-ran exercise, but it's the best chance to really pull off a shipping strategy that wins due to the reduction in cities and you still get sufficient rounds to really experiment with stuff that I find lacking at 4/5p. 2p is neat and really shows what happens with the butterfly effect, but is only good if both players keep the game moving at a high tempo as you'll see something absurd like 16+ rounds... I've seen some wacky stuff at 2p though that only has a chance to really manifest itself there because of the abnormally high number of rounds.

Also, all of this is assumed with hidden money (2p, in particular, falls apart in terms of the decision space if you know what the other person has).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.