Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've done the following to prepare the game for play:

1. Having read the rules in the Files here before purchase, I'm getting ready to go over the hard copy for a second reading. Taking some of the other steps below has further acquainted me with the organization of the rules book.

2. Made up three player aids, also submitted to the Files section below for your viewing pleasure:

Components List By The Numbers The list in the rules book does not giver the final numbers of things included. Hopefully you guys will tell me if you've got the same stuff!

Rules Book Table of Contents I had to do the same thing for Star Trek Fleet Captains, and it really paid off to have it.

FAQ The first six answers by GF9 so far from the board here. There will eventually be an official one put out, but who knows when or how complete it will be?

3. Punched out the four counter sheets. Three were identical. This was easily done.

4. Chucked the plastic insert and bagged all the components using three sizes of bags, sandwich bags plus quart and gallon sized ziplocks. Got rid of most of the tiny bags originally included, and made up Faction Bags with with all of the faction specific pieces, cards, etc. Everything now fits in the box (including the GenCon swag noted in my other thread) with just a bit of extra room, although I'll probably use the expansion boxes for their own Faction Bags, etc.

5. Had a print shop copy the back of the rules booklet three times, and cut off the top half, which contains the Full Turn Sequence. Mounted these copies on cardboard for each player as a fourth player aid.

6. Eventually I may copy the rules book, as its always better to not have to hand the original around the table all the time when I am trying to run a game with it. These days some of my players just pull the thing up on their devices as needed, but hard copy is nice to have and easier to view.

7. I've got two player sessions set up here for Saturday and Wednesday with different players. I've invited any extra players who show up to observe or share a faction, but I may just sit out and teach if I end up with an extra or two. So in the next few days I'll be setting up a group of probably 4-5 people who will learn the game, tell their friends, and hopefully come back for more. Its easy enough to get three players together at once, but come October with the first two expansions, I may want larger groups of up to five with Cardassians and Ferengi in play. Of course, I can also swop factions in and out with smaller groups.

8. I note that Optional Rules in the back of the rules book are provided, which include two groups. The "Accelerated Rules" are all streamlining to make the game go faster. The "Advanced Rules" are to make the game more challenging for experienced gamers. But I plan to start out without them for now. I will throw the bonus 15 TOS Exploration Cards in with the standard Core Game deck.

All comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome!

"These are the voyages..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

May the force be with you!

(In my muddled voice, talking to a mysterious person in the shadows): "What? Huh? Oh, I see. Crap."

Never mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Seems a little unnecessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo

Greetings fellow night owls!

I always smile when people bring up the Star Trek vs Star Wars feud. Both popular culture expressions are just small drops in the much deeper science fiction ocean available to those of us who actually read books (or ebooks). One of the great things about TOS was that they took scripts from some of the best SF authors of the 1960s. Thus besides being very well written, they took on many of the social and political issues of the time as themes.

While it might have originally been sold as "Wagon Train To The Stars," and Kirk been a more macho captain, there is more depth in the stories we're celebrating on next month's TOS 50th Anniversary than many realize. And while Star Wars offers much lesser literary value, it is still rooted in the hero's mythic journey, with interesting Eastern philosophy, for those who wish to see it.

Art allows real ideas to reincarnate in each generation. We don't really own them. They, in a sense, own us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds good!

Some minor issues we had at Gencon:
* Tokens- If players keep alot of tokens in hand, you will need to keep track of it somehow if you run out - maybe dice or honor system. Also, encourage players to avoid a 'cache' of tokens aside from them; it gets confusing as you play and warp and research tokens are drifting on the game area. WE had a counter tray- you might want to use a condiment dish or something.
* Ships vs Fleets- There is a difference. Remember: fleets & starbases = # ascendancy you have. Min # of ships in a fleet is 3 for all fleets. If you go under 3 ships, you loose the fleet. Also you can choose any fleet and either side, not fleet #1 first, etc.
* Attacking: you can spend one command to attack from 1 SECTOR to 1 SECTOR- Sectors are the individual spaces on the lanes or a system itself. so 3 ships can attack for 1 command token (you dont command 3 ships to each attack...). We had one player thought the sectors were the planets, etc.. ignoring the lanes.
* Research: You can have active research = # research nodes you control. So, if you have 3 nodes, you can use 1 command, draw 2 cards and keep both out if you dont have any research started yet.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Joe! I note that some of these points are now covered by a nice new two page player aid in the Files section (the one I didn't do). Its worth checking out!

My tokens are now in sandwich bags by type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
We don't really own them. They, in a sense, own us.

So true. Those IPs treat so many of us like their b*tches. The amount of money we have all collectively spent probably would have cured a major disease.

Yup, the definitely own us... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:

4. Chucked the plastic insert and bagged all the components using three sizes of bags, sandwich bags plus quart and gallon sized ziplocks. Got rid of most of the tiny bags originally included, and made up Faction Bags with with all of the faction specific pieces, cards, etc. Everything now fits in the box (including the GenCon swag noted in my other thread) with just a bit of extra room, although I'll probably use the expansion boxes for their own Faction Bags, etc.

I like the idea of storing the other faction, all nicely bagged up, in their Faction boxes. But will you go ahead and just include the extra systems and Exploration deck cards into those main stacks/decks in the main box? I'm assuming those components can just be added in freely whether the faction they came with is in play or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ardrikk wrote:
chas59 wrote:

I like the idea of storing the other faction, all nicely bagged up, in their Faction boxes. But will you go ahead and just include the extra systems and Exploration deck cards into those main stacks/decks in the main box? I'm assuming those components can just be added in freely whether the faction they came with is in play or not.

I thing I will try my hand at foamcore for this game. I will mix everything together but if the planets start to clump I will sort them and pull out 6+3 per player then shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once the first two expansions come out in October (?), most likely I'll just take out the Home Systems for any factions not in play in a game, and then put everything else in to be explored at random, using the 6 initial planetary systems procedure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Once the first two expansions come out in October (?), most likely I'll just take out the Home Systems for any factions not in play in a game, and then put everything else in to be explored at random, using the 6 initial planetary systems procedure!

2 times number of players. So in a 5 player game it would be 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.