Chris Parsons
msg tools
So far, we've been casting Absorb Knowledge once per scroll or grimoire found in an adventure. The spell description seems to imply that's how it works -- doesn't actually use/destroy the scroll or grimoire while gleaning magical knowledge from it.

However, this seems very powerful if you've found a handful of srolls/grims in one game. E.g. I just collected 5 in a single adventure. If I succeed each casting, that's 250 XP, which is 2 levels. That seems a little much.

How are other people playing it? And, while I don't see it in the FAQ, has anyone found any "official'ish" ruling, or has anyone played enough to decide on a reasonable house rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be cast as often as any other 'Out-of-game' spell, that is once after each game.

No house rule required, it's all in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game and for the 2 treasures I got, each had a grimoire. One had Absorb Knowledge and the other was Combat Awareness.

So normally, you have to use one of your "level up" 100xp's to learn a new spell from a grimoire that you have. So if I use the first 100xp's to learn Absorb Knowledge from that grimoire, then would I be able to at some point use Absorb Knowledge to learn Combat Awareness from the other Grimoire without having to use the 100xp's to learn it? Then since that grimoire didn't have to get "read" then I could sell it. Correct?

So it seems like if I have this correct, I will basically gain 2 spells and also the gold gained from selling the Combat Awareness grimoire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
I just played my first game and for the 2 treasures I got, each had a grimoire. One had Absorb Knowledge and the other was Combat Awareness.

So normally, you have to use one of your "level up" 100xp's to learn a new spell from a grimoire that you have. So if I use the first 100xp's to learn Absorb Knowledge from that grimoire, then would I be able to at some point use Absorb Knowledge to learn Combat Awareness from the other Grimoire without having to use the 100xp's to learn it? Then since that grimoire didn't have to get "read" then I could sell it. Correct?

So it seems like if I have this correct, I will basically gain 2 spells and also the gold gained from selling the Combat Awareness grimoire.

You should re-read the Absorb Knowledge spell description in the rule book. It has nothing to do with other grimoires and nothing to do with learning more spells. It's simply a spell that gives XP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Roy wrote:
Hahma wrote:

You should re-read the Absorb Knowledge spell description in the rule book. It has nothing to do with other grimoires and nothing to do with learning more spells. It's simply a spell that gives XP.

So "absorbing knowledge from a written work" has nothing to do with any "actual" written work, that's just a generic term? Ok, I get it now. I guess the point seemed lost on me. Also, I have to use 100XP worth of my total to learn the spell from the grimoire, so it will take 2 games to actually get those XP back. But I suppose in the long run, it will pay off by having a good chance of getting an extra 50XP after each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Evil Roy wrote:
Hahma wrote:

So "absorbing knowledge from a written work" has nothing to do with any "actual" written work, that's just a generic term? Ok, I get it now. I guess the point seemed lost on me. Also, I have to use 100XP worth of my total to learn the spell from the grimoire, so it will take 2 games to actually get those XP back. But I suppose in the long run, it will pay off by having a good chance of getting an extra 50XP after each game.

You've got it. It represents gaining some sort of extra insight regarding the events your wizard has just been through in the previous scenario and thus learning more from the experience rather than actually absorbing the written word in a document. It's a brilliant spell (although remember you can't use it if your wizard got taken out during the scenario).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
Hahma wrote:
Evil Roy wrote:
Hahma wrote:

You've got it. It represents gaining some sort of extra insight regarding the events your wizard has just been through in the previous scenario and thus learning more from the experience rather than actually absorbing the written word in a document. It's a brilliant spell (although remember you can't use it if your wizard got taken out during the scenario).

Thanks Jim, that makes sense thematically now.

It's still not an automatic 50xp, as my Illusionist still has to successfully roll for it, but at least I will be able to maximize it since I got this grimoire in my first game. So lots of chances to gain XP over the long haul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.