GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,200 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: I give up (with the miniatures) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These miniatures are just an absolute nightmare (no pun intended). Pegs don't stay in the holes--that is, if they even fit--so they fall down easily, and the material is so weak that even slight pressure could damage it; I completely bent a Deep One's arm trying to put the peg in.

I'll have no choice but to super glue these things on, and even then, if not put in good storage, slight jumbles can be severe and cause damage. I don't know if these things are even worth painting.

I've heard that the first edition miniatures were also bad, but not as bad as these ones? WTH, FFG. $83 for this embarrassment?

If anyone's got alternatives or solutions to these concerns I'd definitely love to hear them. Still a shame, though. I'm sure the miniatures alone affected reviewer scores to what could have been a phenomenal game.

(I absolutely love the game, by the way. I just hate these miniatures.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Dino Studio
United States
Sudbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
RAWR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep the tiles to the side and glue the minis on clear plastic bases.
It's unfortunate that this is necessary for such an expensive game.

http://www.litko.net/products/Clear-Miniature-Bases,-Circula...

http://www.litko.net/products/Clear-Miniature-Bases%2C-Circu...

Perhaps Asmodee should buy us all an order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Dino Studio
United States
Sudbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
RAWR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also...Here's a good place to dispose the bases that they provided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
not_a_cylon wrote:

I made the mistake of putting the tiles in the stands first. That's another problem. Once they're in the small ones, they're practically impossible to get out without a hammer. -_-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erawen Lowhunger
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not_a_cylon wrote:

As I don't have the game yet, how much of each do I have to have? Do I need both sizes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dibbler just rebased them, then put the mini and new base on the MoM one:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that a German edition? Lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Lamps
msg tools
Mine are glued to the bases, with trimmed pegs, and painted. I pressed them into the base using a coin on the foot to spread pressure and not damage them. The cards slide in and out without too many problems if you hold it in two hands and use your thumb to slide it.
They are the same as the first edition and I may just have got used to them over time so didn't find these one too difficult
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dunks
United States
Providence Forge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just decided to play without the minis. The tokens are nicely painted, easy to flip over,.... No need for the hassle everyone is describing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly related: is there a good single-box storage solution for all the painted figures from both 1st and 2nd edition? Part of why I've never bothered trying to paint them is I'd then need to find a better way to store and transport then than "chuck em all in the box". Presently I just use ziplocs with the figs bagged with their bases and we assemble them as needed.

I like the clear discs, btw. If I move forward with painting the figs, I'll rebase them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a company like FFG and the out of this world price they are selling this game for, the miniatures could have been of a much higher quality. I only have the first edition + Forbidden Alchemy and yet the miniatures keep falling off the bases, and IMO the miniatures are not as high a quality as you see in many other games that sell for much less. They probably could have designed the miniatures without the bases and simply used a card to show the stats of the miniature instead.
MOM 2 is a game I would have like to have bought, but price and quality of the components (other than the boards) have prevented me from doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Atvar wrote:
I've just decided to play without the minis. The tokens are nicely painted, easy to flip over,.... No need for the hassle everyone is describing.

Same here. When I put the figures in the bases, the information on the counter was hard to read. Esp the Star Spawn. The figures are not nice enough for all the work they cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get it just assembled everything and painted the miniatures. No problem at all. I used plastic glue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really unimpressed with the miniatures. They were difficult to put in their bases and a lot of them were quite warped. For $100.00, I really expected better from FFG. I love the game but the minis take it down from a 10 to a 9 for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erawen Lowhunger
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not_a_cylon wrote:

Sorry, but I'm leaving tonigt for some time, have to order them now. So asking again;

As I don't have the game yet, how much of each do I have to have? Do I need both sizes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wray wrote:
Atvar wrote:

Same here. When I put the figures in the bases, the information on the counter was hard to read. Esp the Star Spawn. The figures are not nice enough for all the work they cause.

Same here too. It's certainly the easiest solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Has anyone tried rebasing but just stencilling on the three numbers that matter?

Not done so myself as may want to use them for Eldritch etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am using the stands from the Arkham Horror standees to hold the monster tokens. I will do the same with the investigators from the 1st edition, I shall use the Arkham Horror investigator standee tokens as I prefer them to the minis.Need to make some for the 2nd edition investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit this is also my largest complaint with this game too. This game was $130 for me and I gotta be honest these minis aren't justifying that price, nor is the fact that this technically has less in the box than the 1st ed.

I've contemplated gluing the minis, but then storage is just going to be a pain, very annoying, but lucky for them the game is good so I can just deal with this and continue to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can any of you guys who've rebased onto clear bases, please post some photos?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are exactly the same as 1st Ed. figures. I've had those for years. They hold up just fine once glued in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DouglasLondon wrote:
I just use the tokens with no minis. Much less clutter. I find the unpainted minis with GIANT oversized bases distracting.

Are the needed "tokens" included with the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they are designed to slide into the base, but you can use them as simple tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Conolly
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah.. I totally agree with this. I'd actually much rather do without the figures (more piles of grey plastic to paint) shake

The bases are a nightmare - they totally obscure the (beautiful) room tiles - and cover up the evocative art on the creature tokens.

I really feel the figures are there to add 'value' to the game and justify the high price. I'd much rather cardboard standees for everything.

Anyone suggest a good solution for standing up the creature counters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Smith
msg tools
Try the premium miniatures ! They are pre-painted and the material and details are much better ! (I tell you from my own experience)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.