War of the Ring: Lords of Middle-earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Alternate Hobbit Companions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am writing this just to check if I'm fully understanding the new Character Cards.

So the best tactics to use is to pick one of the Hobbits have the new card and the other the one from the base set (in case it is decided to keep both Hobbits in the Fellowship of The Ring at the start of the game)? The card of the new Guide ability bears no reference whether the other Companion should also have the new version or not.

That means that the Hobbit Guide uses the ability and eliminates himself (against a potentially very powerful threat level, e.g. 3) and the other Hobbit, however while the guiding Hobbit dies, the other's special ability (Take Them Alive!) ticks off and he separates from the Fellowship, avoiding getting killed like the leading Hobbit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bauer
Germany
flag msg tools
I'd say you're right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Guide abilities of the alternate Merry and Pippin each refer to the other's alternate version by title ("Meriadoc, Hobbit of the Shire" and "Peregrin, Hobbit of the Shire"), so both Characters must be the alternate versions (and still in the Fellowship) in order to use either's Guide ability. The original versions, "Meriadoc Brandybuck, Hobbit Companion" and "Peregrin Took, Hobbit Companion", don't satisfy the requirement for the alternate versions' abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
The Guide abilities of the alternate Merry and Pippin each refer to the other's alternate version by title ("Meriadoc, Hobbit of the Shire" and "Peregrin, Hobbit of the Shire"), so both Characters must be the alternate versions (and still in the Fellowship) in order to use either's Guide ability. The original versions, "Meriadoc Brandybuck, Hobbit Companion" and "Peregrin Took, Hobbit Companion", don't satisfy the requirement for the alternate versions' abilities.

Oh...you're right. So we've been playing it wrong.

I guess that then changes their usefulness drastically. Losing two Companions due to a hunt tile draw is a bit too drastic, unless a 3 or an Eye (while in Mordor) is drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.