Elder Sign» Forums » General

Subject: Why would I like to buy this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

So I've been looking at this game for a while now. I really like dice game that have a little bit more to it than just rolling dice, and whilst there is currently an overload of Cthulhu stuff going on in the Board Game scene, I myself actually only own one game with that theme and in general quite like the theme.

I used to own Arkham Horror about 10 years ago but traded it away after playing 2 or 3 times. I loved the theme and it's probably still my number one recommendation for someone who's looking for a heavily theme oriented game.

For me though, the mechanic is still important and I really don't care for flavour text in games also have no desire whatsoever to roll play when playing. Therefor, Arkham Horror to me was really just a big dice game in which all that mattered was to roll as many high numbers as possible with as many dice as possible.

I love dice games though, one of my favourites is To Court the King or Roll Through the Ages: The Iron Age also like push your luck games such as Pickomino and Hoppladi Hopplada!

So I'm wondering about this game, and whether this would be a game I'd like. It's a bit too expensive to just blindly buy it and see if I like it, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this and why you think I might like it or not?

Many thanks for tour thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some flavor text on the cards (in tiny fonts for that matter), but you don't need to read it.
You can play the game which is more of a Yahtzee variant without any of the flavor text.
Many of the player aids come along in form of spells and artifacts, but usually only have the effect of creating an extra die or defeating a monster and such.

Another interesting dice game you might like is Pandemic: The Cure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ignore the theme completely and just look at the mechanics, you have a dice game that uses the roll, lock, roll mechanism to solve a puzzle that requires multiple dice combinations. Solving the puzzle gains you rewards that make solving other puzzles easier and moves you toward an overall victory condition. The game throws random stuff at you that brings the end-game lose condition closer, as does failing to solve a puzzle.

The decisions you make are mainly about committing resources on a risk/reward basis and about estimating probability in order to determine relative risk/reward between the various available puzzles (there are usually 6 available at a time).

Personally, I read all the flavour text when playing Arkham Horror, but not when playing Elder Sign. I probably wouldn't have bought the game if it had had a different skin, but I don't find it awfully important while I'm playing it.

HtH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wiant
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife an I love Elder sign! It plays well with 2 players (sometimes we control 2 players each).

We used to play Arkham, too. We also love Roll Through the Ages, but we love the cooperative nature of Elder Sign.

The art is fantastic, the game can be really challenging (especially if you buy an expansion).

The mechanics of this game are loosely tied to the theme, but the theme is applied well. It provides the art and the purpose, especially since you are working together against the "clock/Elder God".

I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.