Subject: How to argue ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mario sieger
Austria
Leoben / Eisenstadt
flag msg tools
Hey,

I played the classical Werewolf quite a lot and yesterday I tried "One Night Ultimate Werewolf" for the first time with a group of 5 persons in total. I like the app so that nobody has to be the storyteller.

But here is the problem I have with this game:
I belong to that fraction (werewolf or villagers) of the card that is
in front of me at the end of the game. If I was a werewolf at the beginning and my card was switched then I could be a villager at the end of the night phase, but I don´t know if my card was switched...
So, how should I know how to argue when I don´t know to which fraction I belong? If I was a werewolf at the beginning and tell the other players the truth and another player tells us that they switched the cards then everybody immediately knows who the werewolf is. If the cards have not been switched then everybody knows that I am the wolf. Telling the truth is not advisable then so I have to bluff. When I try to bluff and tell everybody that I was a villager it would be like this: When my cards were switched during the night I´m probably a villager then but then I should help the villagers. But I lied and so the other villagers can not know that I was the wolf (even I do not know because I dont know if the cards were switched). To claim that you were a villager (but you actually were a wolf at the beginning) only makes sense when your cards have not been switched by anybody.

In the normal Werewolf you know what fraction you are and you behave like that.
How should I argue when I dont know to which fraction i belong? I´m not really sure if that game makes sense at all !?

I hope I described my problem well and you can understand it.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing you have to do is try to work out what faction you are now...

Lie through your teeth until you can work it out....but also assume that everyone is lying too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to dig for the information - any information.

Claim to be a troublemaker or robber to try to locate the actual troublemaker or robber (or other switching roles) to know whether you've been possibly switched.

It is possible the robber has taken your werewolf card and is now claiming something else.

The possibilities are endless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is the switch that first threw me too...this isn't simply werewolf where people know their allegiance right off the bat and have to find the wolves or hide amongst the villagers...you have to find out who or what you are now to begin with!

Deduce your identity, and fool the others, is the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the advise given above is spot on... the idea is to lie just enough to stay under the radar, but to tell just enough truth to reveal the information you need. Once you've gleaned some information from other players, true information, then you have the upper hand and can control which direction the game goes in.

We play PBF (Play by Forum) games of One Night Werewolf here on BGG. In fact, there is one in sign-up right now.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1618469/pbf-52-epic-battle-...

You can either follow along the game as it progresses, sign up for it if you feel you're up for it (the more the merrier), or if you like reading, simply go through the PBF forum and read some past games (I warn you, they can get long sometimes).

But those games will give you a good idea of the spirit and nature of the game, as well as give you some good strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank de Jong
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Same thing I was wondering: how does this ever work?

Still kind of in the dark here, even after watching 3 reviews. It looks more like a guessing game than like Werewolves to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Burt
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mb
It's definitely not a guessing game!
You have quite a bit of information, and can gain more by bluffing other players into revealing stuff.
It's all about lying convincingly, working out who else is lying, and coming up with a plausible scenario to explain what happened. Then you can decide which side you are probably on, and try and work out who is who, therefore who you want to lynch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Agreed.

Compared with Resistance or regular Werewolf, you get a lot more information. However, compared with Resistance or regular Werewolf, that information is a lot more contingent.

Maybe you know what the situation was at some point in the past, but not whether or not things have changed since. You know what someone has claimed, but haven't yet worked out enough about their motives to know whether or not to believe them. But maybe you can compare what different people are saying to spot inconsistencies (whether accidental or deliberate...)

It's quite a subtle game. I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.