4 Posts

Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach» Forums » General

Subject: Few impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Hausknecht
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, we played first game yesterday and I have some mixed feelings about the game.

First game with Ameritrash players

1) I like graphics and variability of cards - there is a ton of them. All the components are also pretty nice and good quality

2) We were disapointed about the PvP part of the game, We played 4 player game, and there was almost no reason to attack anyone (even going to dungeon could be risky, as there are 3 other people left who can then destroy your whole city if you leave just few units in defense.). If you attack another player its almost certain that most of your army dies and if you are not sure, you will be able to rebuild defense (due to the random of drawing resources, it is always risky)

So two guys with best luck for economy cards and good draws of resources built big city with lot of units to defend it, other two guys struggled to get at least some cards out.. And game was just like resource management and builder simulator, nothing else. Because two strong guys refused to attack anyone (beying afraid that the other strong guy then will have advantage if they loose some units in battle with someone/dungeon)

3) We tried the short version of the game - that means removing like half of the city deck. And with that rule, we had some quest cards impossible to complete (but we did not know about it, because we were not sure, if the removed hero is within the discarded pile or not - so we have to check all the quest cards after removing the part of the city deck to be sure we can complete all the quests?)

What are your feelings about the game? We were expecting little more dungeoning, fighting etc, now it seems more like Euro-resource management game with a little to no conflict (well its here, but im not sure, it is worth it, because it can ruin your game if not going well).

Two of the guys refused to play this game again for the randomness and lack of PvP. Im going to try this game with at least two more groups and see their feelings (one group with euro players, other one with casual players... The group I played yesterday are mainly Ameritrash players - where I belong too, we love games like Arcadia quest, Descent, Zombicide etc- so we are ok with randomness of dice, usually you still can do something with it..)

btw: I'm not saying game is bad by any means, just that we were expecting a little bit different game than what the actual gameplay was (more building and economy than fighting, we would like it more if it was the oposite)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for trying out the game and also trying it out with different types of players.

One thing that people sometimes forget, if you get attacked, your cards un-exhaust at the end. Check out page 11 (Alerted Defenders).

Cycling cards is very important. Holding onto expensive cards can mean you never build anything. Having cheap army cards for off-turn building can help shore up your defenses.

As for quests, you can discard one quest and redraw at the end of your turn just like city cards so you can cycle out quests you don't want to try for. Also, the quests that mention special heroes have an alternate way to solve them.

Try the team game with 4. We've had a lot of fun doing that. Check out the scenarios on page 20.

For Euro/Casual, you can try the PvE scenario.

Hope that helps. Chris and I will be here if you have any questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hausknecht
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, played second game yesterday with "casual" group..

The gameplay was much better - people attacked each other, went into dungeon, built their economy etc.. I liked the game, except the thing, that one of the guys was smart enought to persuade one next to him, to attack me - he did that, destroyed my forces and then the "smart" guy, attacked me with his army and destroyed almost whole my city.. I managed to deploy only two weak troops on next round, the two guys again attacked me, again killing all my units and buildings.. and this went for like 3-4 turns - I was completely out of game and upset, they were building VP on me, without defense (I was able to build like one building and one or two troops per round, they already had a lot of buildings helping them in attack/resource income) and was not able to get into game - ended with 7 VP total, the other guys were 18/20/40 VP... Well maybe I could just discard whole hands for few turns and wait till they destroy last buildings in my city and drop only units from my hand.. but that way, they will still be in huge lead due to that they already had lot of buildings and many units.. Im not sure how could I avoid that..

I know about - un-exhausting cards, but It wouldn't help me when I don't have enought units to soak damage from two people.. Is it necessary to soak all damage into units, or is it possible to let units live and destroy directly my buildings? So I have at least chance to have something in front line and maybe build stronger army next turn before I start dropping buildings..

But this group liked the game a lot, we will play again, I'll try better strategy to avoid beying farmed half of the game..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
You can choose not to defend and let your buildings soak up the damage. And that can allow you to un-exhaust any army cards for the next potential attack. Though if they are going to gang up on you, if there's a 4th player then you might want to negotiate with him to join you! And if they plan to continue doing that then you could also try to find and build a Stronghold which gives you armor protection. And a Wall will make a single guard 5 defense!

I was also thinking, the player that told the other player to join the fight, did he win by that large margin? The guy that joined him didn't benefit from the attack. He might want to consider that helping defeat you didn't win him the game. I guess we got a bit of "diplomacy" going on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.