Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe for a reprint?

I just wanted to suggest that you change the raid modifiers to 0/-1/-2/-3 and add a point to every raid card (or every sea location on the board). It would be SO much easier to explain and remember that you lose a point for each card you don't match in the raid. There is no easy way to explain that you get +1/0/-1/-2 and trying to remember that with all the other hidden costs and scaling rewards is insane.

Other than that, I really quite enjoy this game. Good length and charming simplicity. But that one thing... that is so frustrating that I almost want to get a yellow crayon and mark an extra victory symbol on each raid spot on the board, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, we modified the rules so it was 0,1,2,3 and it worked fine.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wiltshire
Australia
Ingleburn
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem with Scott's modification is that it unbalances the game away from buildings towards raids.

At least Jarad's suggestion factors in the overall game effect well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude M
United States
Greentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The modifications I use are as follows:
+1,-1,-2,-3
I feel the designers were correct in the idea of giving the player +1 Fame for successfully matching all three symbols. In Jarad's suggestion you get 0 for matching all three. I do agree in simplifying the other modifications so that it's -1 Fame for every card you are unable to match. Thus why I modified it as such.

Other house rules I've implemented include paying one Recruitment symbol in addition to the required symbols to the left of the space the chosen Hero card is on. Been calling it "Offer of Loyalty". Pay 1 Recruitment symbol first to "Offer Loyalty" & thus gain the Hero's trust. Then show the number of Recruitment symbols that are required of the Hero you wish to recruit. Felt cost of 2 Recruitment symbols was too low. The Hero Offer needed to start at a cost of 3 to sync / be balanced with the cost requirement of 3 symbols that is required in the other areas on the board.

Currently playtesting a few other ideas/ possible house rules as I just got this on the table for the first time tonight. Focusing next on Raids (Ways to make it more challenging?) & ways to have a bit more player interaction. When I get a chance I'll keep you posted to how it plays out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude The Dude wrote:
In Jarad's suggestion you get 0 for matching all three.

I feel like you didn't quite understand my suggestion. I didn't change the rules any - I just explained them more cleanly.

If you go by the rules, you get points for the raid card, victory symbols on further out raids and boats, and then you consult a chart based on how many unmatched cards you have: +1/0/-1/-2. Nobody memorizes the chart because it is kinda weird.

I explain it so that everyone gets +1 automatically for going on a raid. Then add in the value of the raid card and symbols for further raids and boats. Finally, subtract one for each card you didn't match. I *still* get a little messed up because of that niggling little +1, but it is better than explaining the chart each time.

What I was trying to suggest to the developer is that all he had to do is put an extra bonus victory point symbol in each raid distance. Then subtract one for every unmatched card. The rest remains the same and it is easy to calculate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
What I think happened was that the +1 for raid happened late in the testing phase and boards were already being printed or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude M
United States
Greentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I see what you mean.
In the last game the following house rules were applied:

You receive +1 Fame when you are able to declare a raid.
Players place the Modify Raid card they wish to contribute (if any) in front of their player board face up after Active Player has chosen their Longship, Hero & target for Raid.
Active player receives +1 Fame for matching all three Modify Raid Action Cards. When the Active Player is successful in matching all three Action Cards they must discard the 3 used to match & get to draw back 3 new Action Cards from the deck.
Active player receives -1 Fame for each Modify Raid Action Card not matched.
+1 Fame goes to each player who played an unmatched Modify Raid Action Card.
When a Action Card is matched by the Active Player it goes back into the other player's hand.
When Action Cards are unmatched by the Active Player the other player must discard the Modify Action Card used & that player now gets to draw a new card into their hand.
Active player receives Fame for the Raid. Active Player also receives any Fame that may be listed in the Sea Zone & Fame listed on their Longship.

Approached it this way so it doesn't feel like your just getting rid of an unwanted card. Was not too keen on the 'discard all used cards' rule during the Modify Raid Phase. So now you want to have strategy in which Action Card you choose for the Raid Modify. Want to attempt to make the active player fail, so you can get +1 Fame & they get a -1 Fame. If they succeed in matching, the card you used goes back into your hand! Now you may be considering playing a card you originally thought of keeping, just hoping they fail. Only if they fail, the Action Card is discarded, you draw a new card & receive +1 Fame. Before we were putting in whatever card we didn't want. Now we are carefully deciding & paying much closer attention to those Action Card Exchanges, what symbols are listed on their Hero & Longship. Before it didn't seem to matter as much & put out whatever card we wanted to get rid of.

Active Player gets more of a decision even if they fail matching a card.
For example: The Modify Cards are 2 Recruitment (yellow) & 1 Craftsmanship (green). Active Player only has 1 yellow & 1 green. Though they will fail matching one card the Active Player gets to choose which yellow card they fail. Perhaps the one player is further ahead, so even in failing the Active Player's strategy is to fail the second player who is further behind & match the card that belongs to the player who is ahead. I just feel like there is now more meaning behind the decisions to be made during this phase since we have applied these rules.

There are a bunch of other rules we applied. May post a new article with the ideas we are using. Without spoiling the precise details just yet..
Raids now have an extra bit of risk/chance factor.
There is a building requirement to go on Raids now.
Been playing with a means of attacking other players (if you are into that kind of thing). Also changed end game to when the last raid is completed it signals the last round. Players finish the round, then the game ends & players do final scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.