Subject: Cheap games for gifts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dexter Chengadu
Netherlands
Hilversum
Utrecht
flag msg tools
So me and my wife came to the conclusion , that instead of bringing a bottle of wine for €10 we might as well give a fun boardgame for the same price when we visit people.

Now I'm wondering if some of you have recommendations, we give
Hanabi and Sushi Go!. But I was wondering if there are other fun games to hand out.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's an entire set of Iello games that would meet your criteria.

It includes Welcome to the dungeon, Tem-Purr-A and so on. All the boxes look the same so it should be easy to spot them when in FLGS.

Other than that you have the obvious Love Letter, Pass the Pigs, etc.

I would be careful about bringing that as a gift though, as contrary to a bottle of wine, you have to stock games. And keep them even if you don't like them as they are gifts. How would you feel if your guests sold one of your game because they didn't enjoy it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wine does seem a safer option but if you think a boardgame will go down well then here are some small cheap easy to learn games (I've not checked if you can get them for €10):

Clubs
FlowerFall
Aquarius or Seven Dragons
Hey, That's My Fish!
Bananagrams
Red7

Most of these come in a similar sized box to Hanabi (Hey, That's My Fish!& Bananagrams are the exceptions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
3 Wishes - fun simple game, I just picked this up at GenCon
Little Devils - trick taking game with some fun take that elements.
Cha-Ching - my family loves this game. Remind me of mahjong, but simpler with a take that element
Bohnanza - every gamer should have this in their library, great set collecting game
Codenames - like password, with a group objective
Get Bit! - fun silly games easy to pick up and play. High Card handmanagement game with a "hangman" element.
Roll For It! - easy to pick up and play.
Love Letter - any of the versions will do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

I would be careful about bringing that as a gift though, as contrary to a bottle of wine, you have to stock games. And keep them even if you don't like them as they are gifts. How would you feel if your guests sold one of your game because they didn't enjoy it?

It honestly would not bother me if someone sold out returned a game or gift I bought them. It makes no sense for someone to keep something they don't like because I happen to like or enjoy it. It's a gift for them, not me!!! In fact I bet there are a lot more wine connoisseurs out there who would be offended if you didn't like the wine they picked out for you then gamers who bought you a game that you didn't like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coup
Isle of Trains
Monopoly Deal Card Game
Fluxx
6 Nimmt!
Red7
SET
Tichu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bingosn wrote:
So me and my wife came to the conclusion , that instead of bringing a bottle of wine for €10 we might as well give a fun boardgame for the same price when we visit people.

Dunno if I'll ever do this, but thanks for the interesting idea, OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dexter Chengadu
Netherlands
Hilversum
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Yeah I do have to say, it's worked really well with the ones we gave away. We normally start playing that right away. While most of the times, when we give wine everybody is just like ohh thanks... and then they pull open a different one later on.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, the more the merrier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Coup

Yuck, please no, unless you want to ruin your friendship shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Catan Dice. I recently got two copies of it on clearance at Target- one for $7, the other for $5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Know your audience. If they're the kind of people who are into games, or might be, then sure. It could actually considered more thoughtful and definitely more personal than a bottle of wine.

2 player or family games might be good for certain households.
Jaipur, Spellcaster, Bananagrams, Zombie/Martian Dice, Exploding Kittens.

And I agree, once you give a gift, it's no longer yours, you have no input on how that gift is used. I don't drink wine, so if I get a bottle of wine as a host gift (see: know your audience), it's going to get regifted at a party I go to. If you do want conditions on how that gift is used, those conditions should be stated and agreed prior to or at the time of the giving, and that is only appropriate in certain situations ("Son, I'll give you X$ to buy a car, but it can't be a motorcycle or a sports car.")

Wine as a host gift should not be given with the expectation that it will immediately be used. It's a gift for the host, not for the dinner. (unless, of course, it is - potluck or "BYOB" or whatever; I'm speaking of a traditional dinner party type thing.) They have already planned a menu and a meal, which may include the choice of wine, selected for whatever reason they saw fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quality PNP games can be cheap, and if chosen for the intended, thoughtful too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool Mint
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I would suggest Qwixx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhino Hero - one the best and cheapest stacking games
Win, Lose, or Banana - just print these out (there's a nice Minion redesign on the page). Yes it's silly and fluffy, but it's been quite a hit with us.
Kakerlakenpoker Royal/Cockroach Poker - a game of lying. Simpler and cheaper than Coup.
Mogel Motte a game of cheating.
Mamma Mia! - a game that's hard to teach (given how simple it is), so would be best if you would teach whomever you're giving it to. It's a sort of pre-programmed set collection. And quite lighthearted fun.
Ghost Blitz - a thinky speed game
Spot it! - a non thinky speed game
No Thanks! - betting/auction. addictive. found it great for elderly nongamers.
Pairs - push your luck pub game
Skull - very simple bluffing game. this one will be succeed or fail on how the visuals will be accepted.
Timeline - any of these. sure, replayability is low, but for one visit, it's just enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Snell
England
flag msg tools
mb
dtcarson wrote:
Know your audience. If they're the kind of people who are into games, or might be, then sure. It could actually considered more thoughtful and definitely more personal than a bottle of wine.

2 player or family games might be good for certain households.
Jaipur, Spellcaster, Bananagrams, Zombie/Martian Dice, Exploding Kittens.

And I agree, once you give a gift, it's no longer yours, you have no input on how that gift is used. I don't drink wine, so if I get a bottle of wine as a host gift (see: know your audience), it's going to get regifted at a party I go to. If you do want conditions on how that gift is used, those conditions should be stated and agreed prior to or at the time of the giving, and that is only appropriate in certain situations ("Son, I'll give you X$ to buy a car, but it can't be a motorcycle or a sports car.")

Wine as a host gift should not be given with the expectation that it will immediately be used. It's a gift for the host, not for the dinner. (unless, of course, it is - potluck or "BYOB" or whatever; I'm speaking of a traditional dinner party type thing.) They have already planned a menu and a meal, which may include the choice of wine, selected for whatever reason they saw fit.

Good post overall, but yikes - Exploding Kittens is terrible as a two player game. Everyone hangs on to the interesting stuff until the end then it's simply a game of who has the most combos of kittens/nopes/distractions. Avoid like the plague unless you are going to up the number of players, then it's a lot more fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
The Chess & Checkers package that can be found at Target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Codenames
Star Realms
Tichu
The Resistance
Battle Line
Love Letter
Coup
Bohnanza

All around $13 or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
H1ppyDave wrote:

Good post overall, but yikes - Exploding Kittens is terrible as a two player game. Everyone hangs on to the interesting stuff until the end then it's simply a game of who has the most combos of kittens/nopes/distractions. Avoid like the plague unless you are going to up the number of players, then it's a lot more fun :)

My bad - I combined a few 2 player games with a few family games - EK was definitely one of the latter :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.